• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummers in Guayabamba, Ecuador (1 Viewer)

Ecuadorrebel

Writer, Photographer, Guide
Recently spotted two hummers in Guayabamba, Ecuador, about 40 k north of Quito. Altitude would be about 2500m and is a very arid area. The first one I suspect is a either a Rufus-Tailed Hummingbird or an Amazilla hummingbird. I would go with the former because I did not see any white on its chest while it was flying. The other I am at a loss. I have included both a front and rear view for identification. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Rufous-Tailed-Hummingbird.jpg
    Rufous-Tailed-Hummingbird.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 51
  • Hummer1.jpg
    Hummer1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Hummer2.jpg
    Hummer2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 60
I don't know what these are and they are not showing up in my North American field guides. I just wanted to say that these are very spectacular photos. And, do you know what kind of flower that is in the first photo?

Hummers

Thanks everyone for the confirmation on the Rufous-tailed and the id on the Western Emerald. With 130 different hummers to choose from it is difficult to narrow down sometimes. Especially since "The Birds of Ecuador" didn't have a full photo of the Western Emerald. Needed help from someone with a little more experience.

Sorry Steve, don´t know the id on the flower but I will see if I can find out.

Thanks again to all

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back