• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Considering taking photos - tutorials? (1 Viewer)

Steve-O

Just a Guy
Hello all,

I have a camera that I am considering attaching to my scope. I understand each fairly well but the combo is a little confusing.

The manufacturer says adapter turns the scope into a 800mm lense at f/10.2, I think I understand this. The usual DOF rules should apply, same for using a doubler, but what magnification will I have? Is there a way to turn camera mms into scope XX?

Anyone know a page, tutorial or other form of information on the subject?

TIA,

Steve-O

Hi Steve,
It's generally regarded, although not that accurate that 50mm equates to 1:1 magnification, therefore 100mm =2x and 800mm will be 16x.
Regards,
Andy

Steve-0

From the sound of it, you're attaching the camera( Film SLR? ) to the scope body via a T? adaptor after first removing the eyepiece. Its the eyepiece on the scope that gives it the different magnifications, so with digiscoping ( done through the eyepice ) you have the magnification of the eyepiece x scope body x digital camera optical zoom.

What you appear to have is an 800mm scope body which is approximately x16, its just a big camera lense when used like that!.

Thats a rough, inexpert explanation!. Someones bound to come along with a lot more detail ( Jay, where are you )?.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back