• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown-banded Carder Bee in Cambs? (1 Viewer)

HabbinAlan

We have a very bee friendly meadow and garden north of Cambridge. There are lots of Wite-tailed Bumblebees (the white on the back is not a trick of the light, the others are all normal), Red-tailed Bumblebees and a variety of others. I think we have Common Carder Bees but is it possible that the 1st attached picture is a Brown-banded Carder?

Attachments

• P6300201_edited.jpg
    P6300201_edited.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 30
  • P6300267_edited_2.jpg
    P6300267_edited_2.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 29
  • P6300232_edited.jpg
    P6300232_edited.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 58
Common Carder Bee (Bombus pascuorum), Red-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lapidarius) and Southern Cuckoo Bumblebee (Bombus vestalis)

Southern Cuckoo doesn't even feature on my FSC/Buglife laminated guide. Is their an ID field guide and/or website that folk would recommend?

I have a few more pics of no 3, mostly flying I'm afraid. The white patch caught my attention but I definitely hadn't homed in on Buff-tailed. How would I separate terestris and lucorum? the only clue in my guide is position of the wings relative to the black yellow band borders - yellow back to the wings on lucorum?

Apart from the white patch, it was/is very similar in appearance, size and behaviour to bees I originally believed were White-tailed and was feeding on the lavender alongside them and some Red-tailed.

Attachments

• P6300229_edited.jpg
    P6300229_edited.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 23
  • P6300238_edited.jpg
    P6300238_edited.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 21
  • P6300226_edited.jpg
    P6300226_edited.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back