• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (65 Viewers)

hi guys help needed please. i have a tp-2800 camlink tripod would this be strong enough to hold a 150-500 sigma lens and even fit it? or am i digging in to my pockets again for a new one and if so which model any advice will be much appreciated. regards vern

Hi Vern - I'd try using the lens without a tripod for a while. If you're getting the version with optical stabilisation (OS) on it, you may find that you don't need a tripod any more to get clear shots. You might want a beanbag to rest it on occasionally maybe. The OS will help massively with any camera-shake you might have affecting shots now.

My Dad has the same Sigma lens and he never uses a tripod (and he's over 70!).

If I was built like Arnie and could wield my 500mm around like I used to with my 100-400mm lens, I'd not bother using a tripod, as it's more of a hindrance than help. But sadly it's too heavy for that, so I have to use one.

As I said at Grimley - consider Red Snapper tripods if you do find you still need or want one. They're significantly cheaper than new tripods from Manfrotto etc, but are sturdy and well made. Or look at the second-hand market to save cash.

I'm sure there are others on here who have used the same lens who may be able to help. Otherwise, post a thread down in the Cameras section on here. Probably best to ask in the Sigma or Nikon sections.

Cheers,

Pete.

a few from sunday

kingfisher, sedge, the spot red flying over when john 1st heard it, moorhen with fish(reflection shot) and my favorite the young un i wonder what he's spotted under there, 2nd reflection shot.

Attachments

• 187.JPG
    187.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 189.JPG
    189.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 211.JPG
    211.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 229.JPG
    229.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 259.JPG
    259.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 77
Hi Vern - I'd try using the lens without a tripod for a while. If you're getting the version with optical stabilisation (OS) on it, you may find that you don't need a tripod any more to get clear shots. You might want a beanbag to rest it on occasionally maybe. The OS will help massively with any camera-shake you might have affecting shots now.

My Dad has the same Sigma lens and he never uses a tripod (and he's over 70!).

If I was built like Arnie and could wield my 500mm around like I used to with my 100-400mm lens, I'd not bother using a tripod, as it's more of a hindrance than help. But sadly it's too heavy for that, so I have to use one.

As I said at Grimley - consider Red Snapper tripods if you do find you still need or want one. They're significantly cheaper than new tripods from Manfrotto etc, but are sturdy and well made. Or look at the second-hand market to save cash.

I'm sure there are others on here who have used the same lens who may be able to help. Otherwise, post a thread down in the Cameras section on here. Probably best to ask in the Sigma or Nikon sections.

Cheers,

Pete.

thanks pete yes it has os so maybe i should give it a try on a bean bag first couldnt remember the site thanks again for that btw loved your pictures of thee great white little egret and hobby all in the same shot thanks again vern .
B :)

Although it did rain for most of the day, the old hide has been demolished. Foundations and frame lower floor are in place. I have been told things are looking good for weekendish. will know more tomorrow

The hide has it's roof in place.
We will soon be back!

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 137
few pics from tonight,
1.hide coming along nicely (moors).
2.roost on 2nd flash
3.spooked birds over flashes

Attachments

• hide.jpg
    hide.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 105
  • roost.jpg
    roost.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 79
  • spook.jpg
    spook.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 86
Hide update

I have to say the quality of the hide is as good if not better than I have come across. There is ample space, down stairs and up. We will have to do a bit of habitat creation in front of the down stairs windows ie remove the old hedge and undergrowth. This will also open up the opportunity to create some new habitat.
Your input will be welcome on how best to manage the area in front. But it wont happen overnight , it will slowly evolve into a potentially good area, including a feeding areaB :).

Attachments

• DSCF4247 (2).jpg
    DSCF4247 (2).jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 123
I have to say the quality of the hide is as good if not better than I have come across. There is ample space, down stairs and up. We will have to do a bit of habitat creation in front of the down stairs windows ie remove the old hedge and undergrowth. This will also open up the opportunity to create some new habitat.
Your input will be welcome on how best to manage the area in front. But it wont happen overnight , it will slowly evolve into a potentially good area, including a feeding areaB :).

Thats good to hear. And the chances of it being open for the weekend?

kingfisher, sedge, the spot red flying over when john 1st heard it, moorhen with fish(reflection shot) and my favorite the young un i wonder what he's spotted under there, 2nd reflection shot.

nice set, great to see you captured the spotshank, not seen moorhen catch fish before Trace:t:john

Black Terns today at Westwood and Upper Bittell; Gargeneys today and yesterday at Grimley. Has something slipped through Upton unnoticed?

Tonight At The Flashes

The birds were packed into the Flashes when suddenly everything took to the air. Although a peregrine did pass over, this wasn't the problem. Instead there was a giant kite being flown on the east side of the sailing pool. Things started to drift back later, but the light disappeared rapidly. However there was a noticeable influx of duck. totals as follows:
teal 27, shoveler 8, mallard 400+, gadwall pr, tufted 4 plus chicks, canadas 180, greylag 21, Ruff juv male, redshank, green sand 15, common sand 3, snipe, lapwing 90, curlew 24, LRP juv, BHG800, LBBG c10 late on, peregrine, blackcap, chiffchaff,

in front of Hen pool : adult water rail in new channel.

The birds were packed into the Flashes when suddenly everything took to the air. Although a peregrine did pass over, this wasn't the problem. Instead there was a giant kite being flown on the east side of the sailing pool. Things started to drift back later, but the light disappeared rapidly. However there was a noticeable influx of duck. totals as follows:
teal 27, shoveler 8, mallard 400+, gadwall pr, tufted 4 plus chicks, canadas 180, greylag 21, Ruff juv male, redshank, green sand 15, common sand 3, snipe, lapwing 90, curlew 24, LRP juv, BHG800, LBBG c10 late on, peregrine, blackcap, chiffchaff,

in front of Hen pool : adult water rail in new channel.

Redshank is new for the month :t: Now up to 96.

Last edited:
Hi, has anyone been to Westwood Pool, and how does one obtain a permit to go there? I was reading about it today and thought I might visit sometime, but can't seem to find much info.

Phil

hi John
The speed of the hide going up is surprising and pleasing ,just a quick question ,the distance between the windows look large and the corner distance between windows ,I know I'm looking at it from the photos , is different close up.Tim

IIRC - Westwood is strictly permit only with, literally a handful issued. A new permit only becomes available when somebody rescinds an existing one. You will have no chance of acquiring one based on the current system. Permit holders are allowed a 'guest' but i think they have to visit at the same time. If a 'good' bird is found then the place is opened up for a short period and a donation is made.

I do'nt all of the present permit holders, just a couple, and based on these all holders will be noted birders not newbies, casuals or birders of unknown provenance.

What surprises me is how much is found there but does'nt make it a few yards along at UW.....

ATB Laurie:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back