• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (37 Viewers)

Cheers Tim - nice bit of investigation work; Inbox now cleared. Would be nice if someone can get the code off the metal ring on the other leg

Have sent you the ringers email address now, you won't need to read the metal now you have the code on the darvic, reason why there put on!

Will this be the first Coot recovery from the reserve?

Have sent you the ringers email address now, you won't need to read the metal now you have the code on the darvic, reason why there put on!

Hi Tim
can you send me the site for ringing recoveries you use . I use Euring web recoveries site
B :)John I will be at the mecca Tuesday work party and thursday birding:t:

Hi Tim
can you send me the site for ringing recoveries you use . I use Euring web recoveries site
B :)John I will be at the mecca Tuesday work party and thursday birding:t:

Euring website always takes a lot longer to get a recovery, I always find it quicker to go direct to the ringer. Best way to do it is to google various different ringing schemes for the species you need a recovery on and then email several different people asking if they know who might have rung it.

In this instance I know Kane Brides organises all the Coot darvic rings in the UK so I just dropped him a message asking and he got back to me straight away!

Euring website always takes a lot longer to get a recovery, I always find it quicker to go direct to the ringer. Best way to do it is to google various different ringing schemes for the species you need a recovery on and then email several different people asking if they know who might have rung it.

In this instance I know Kane Brides organises all the Coot darvic rings in the UK so I just dropped him a message asking and he got back to me straight away!

Timmy its a case of who you know;) not what you know, nice one
B :)John

I know from the winter to breeding season, numbers drop dramatically. Could it be our breeding birds move out to winter further south. Is this bird a wanderer and just came across Upton. Was it reared at Radipole ?
Hopefully the details will be forthcoming. Tim do you know if it was ringed as an adult.

I know from the winter to breeding season, numbers drop dramatically. Could it be our breeding birds move out to winter further south. Is this bird a wanderer and just came across Upton. Was it reared at Radipole ?
Hopefully the details will be forthcoming. Tim do you know if it was ringed as an adult.

I'd guess it would have been rung as a fully grown bird rather than a pullus but whether it was an adult breeder or a juv we'll have to wait to hear off the ringer.

http://www.radipoleringinggroup.co.uk/coot

At the flashes today 06:30 - 11:00. No hirundines as i walked past the boating lake. Blackcap singing by the bridge as i turned on to the path towards the hide. Disturbed a Roe deer who met me coming the other way along the path. Didn't like the look of me so turned back where it came from. as i approached the transmitter field spotted two deer running leaping and occasionally stopping to look at me looking at them. They were still in the field around an hour later before disappearing towards the activity area.

12 Avocet all seemingly paired up.

At least 5 LRP.

A Shellduck was later joined by another.

Only 2 Lapwing rising to 8 through the morning

1 Oystercatcher

1 Grey Heron

3 Linnit

Another Blackcap feeding around the hide along with chiffchaff

Stockdove dropped in at the waters edge for a drink

2 LBBGs + 1 Common Gull

As i walked back past the boating lake a solitary swallow hawking for bugs.

Disappointed by the low numbers of Osprey at the reserve today

At the flashes today 06:30 - 11:00. No hirundines as i walked past the boating lake. Blackcap singing by the bridge as i turned on to the path towards the hide. Disturbed a Roe deer who met me coming the other way along the path. Didn't like the look of me so turned back where it came from. as i approached the transmitter field spotted two deer running leaping and occasionally stopping to look at me looking at them. They were still in the field around an hour later before disappearing towards the activity area.

12 Avocet all seemingly paired up.

At least 5 LRP.

A Shellduck was later joined by another.

Only 2 Lapwing rising to 8 through the morning

1 Oystercatcher

1 Grey Heron

3 Linnit

Another Blackcap feeding around the hide along with chiffchaff

Stockdove dropped in at the waters edge for a drink

2 LBBGs + 1 Common Gull

As i walked back past the boating lake a solitary swallow hawking for bugs.

Disappointed by the low numbers of Osprey at the reserve today

Thanks Graham for also putting your sightings in the log bookB :)John

I spent a bit of time before and after the work party at the Moors.
A very cool sunny start but it heated up during the work party. Getting cooler and windier by dinner time with a brief shower. Mid afternoon saw torrential rain and hail showers with a freshening westerly. Finally the wind abated and the sun shone.

Moors: at least 4 water rail sang either side of the causeway and the east side of the Moors. Dave H's new swampy area (details later) at the bottom of the secret garden was alive with birds once the work had finished. This included song thrush , chiffchaff, blackcap and 2 sightings of kingfisher.
Good numbers of hirundine, mostly swallows fed above the Moors and causeway.
Again chiffchaff were the dominant songster emanating from most scrubby areas.
Species count for the Moors: GCG 6, little grebe heard, cormorant, greylag 5, mute swan pr, shoveler 3 males, teal male (NM) 2 prs reported later, Gadwall 2 prs, shelduck male, Tufted 40, Oystercatcher 4, snipe 9, lapwing male plus one over, common sand, Herring gull 2nd summer, LBBG c15 over, BHG 300, song thrush 2 singing,

A hobby was reported at the Moors chasing swallows this afternoon.

The Flashes : Not a lot to add to Graham's sightings.
Green sand performed brilliantly in front of the new hide all afternoon.
2 common gulls a 1st and 2nd summer, buzzards at least 10 seen from the hide surrounding the reserve.
green woodpecker, stock dove 8, The avocets were feeding on a bit more of the 2nd flash than in previous weeks. Small groups of linnets fed in front of the hide as well as 4 pied wags. During heavy rain 50 hirundines were forced down low over the lagoons, after a few moments they composed themselves and headed north.

I spoke to a birder this morning who said that he had 3 very yellow grey wagtails at the Flashes, on reflection he thinks they were Yellow wags.

Tuesday work party at Moors

Today Dave H continued his new project on opening up the tangled mess of dead bramble and piles of old chopped branches from many years ago. The area is amongst the willows just past the overtaking space on the causeway. The habitat consists of a channel which is the north moors overflow, here fish fry abound. There are also flag iris patches, bramble, thorn bushes and several willows that had been previously coppiced and are now well grown. The site could be best described as a 'nothing area' . However after Today's work by Dave H , Ray c and Paul A, it has been transformed into a very unusual and unique habitat on the reserve a swampy fen would best describe it. Dave has already thought about even more enhancement for it next year. So for the time being enjoy this attractive area as it is. A kingfisher flew through twice in a very short time.
Looking for a new name, :t: the swamp at the bottom of the secret garden:smoke:
will add the rest of the work later

Attachments

• 1swamp.jpg
    1swamp.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 2..sswamp (2).jpg
    2..sswamp (2).jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 3swamp (2).jpg
    3swamp (2).jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 4swamp (2).jpg
    4swamp (2).jpg
    356 KB · Views: 71
The 'mini everglades' came into my head when I saw it !?

Really enjoyed my session today, nice to catch up with Glen and JTB and blag some tea and cake

Liking the look of that! There can't be too many potential wet areas left to rescue now can there... apart from the triangle on the north side of the Hen Brook I suppose?

All we need now is some weather from the right areas and spring can commence in earnest :t:

Just to give Phil an excuse to deliver stats, just how many species are we down on the same time last year? I know from a personal point of view I'm around 12-15 down this year - which isn't completely due to hardly having been there :-O

Today Dave H continued his new project on opening up the tangled mess of dead bramble and piles of old chopped branches from many years ago. The area is amongst the willows just past the overtaking space on the causeway. The habitat consists of a channel which is the north moors overflow, here fish fry abound. There are also flag iris patches, bramble, thorn bushes and several willows that had been previously coppiced and are now well grown. The site could be best described as a 'nothing area' . However after Today's work by Dave H , Ray c and Paul A, it has been transformed into a very unusual and unique habitat on the reserve a swampy fen would best describe it. Dave has already thought about even more enhancement for it next year. So for the time being enjoy this attractive area as it is. A kingfisher flew through twice in a very short time.

I will have a good look at that tomorrow. My suggestion: Swampy Bottom!;)

I Had a pleasant little sojourn in the Hen Brook hide today watching the Coot family & thinking that since the lads have opened up the new channels that it will be a great place not only for warblers, Water Rail & Coots & Moorhen watching but also for Damsel & Dragonflies & Grass snakes!
Well done chaps & thanks. :t:
The only downside could be there are so many places to look now, I doubt my eyes will move fast enough! ;)

Rob

As I drove down the track towards the north moors car park today, a deer bounced across the left side field at speed, over the hedge and track, into the right side field and towards the Salwarp.

It was uniformly brown except a bit of white on it's little tail and quite large..can't rtemeber if JTB said it was likely to be a Roe or fallow ..? looking on tinternet it looked like a Roe ?

I will have a good look at that tomorrow. My suggestion: Swampy Bottom!;)

I Had a pleasant little sojourn in the Hen Brook hide today watching the Coot family & thinking that since the lads have opened up the new channels that it will be a great place not only for warblers, Water Rail & Coots & Moorhen watching but also for Damsel & Dragonflies & Grass snakes!
Well done chaps & thanks. :t:
The only downside could be there are so many places to look now, I doubt my eyes will move fast enough! ;)

Rob

Rob I think you can get a cream to treat it mate8-P

Thanks for the nice words
I would also like to thank all the Lads and Lassies on all the work parties both at the Moors and Flashes. We have now completed the work schedule for the season. To be started again in Sepember.B :)John

Tuesday work party at Moors Part 2

The rest of us Paul H, John C, Bob O, Matt and myself, continued to clear out the old reeds from the new channel. We also opened up another area of flattened old reed bed, that ran to the south off the new channel. Unfortunately only a small section of this can be seen from the causeway. Overall much of the north west reed bed is in a poor state and we will class this as 'year one' of a 4 year rotational reed management scheme. We will attempt to manage all of the reeds in this area in the next 4 years. Which will mean a fair bit of digging hopefully with machinery.
Today all the debris was piled up against the causeway. This will encourage scrub to grow, essential to reed warblers chick rearing.
photos
1. This view is from the east end of the new pool. To the right you can see dead hawthorns, these have been 'drowned' out. It shows how the water has encroached up to the causeway. Elsewhere on the reserve this is expanding the marshy areas.
2. The new channel from the west path - check it out for water rail.
3.and 4. show the NW reed bed. to the right of the flowering blackthorn is the new cleared area.
5. Looking from the causeway you can just make out the new open area, running off at right angles to the new channel.

Attachments

• 5new causeway pool(2).jpg
    5new causeway pool(2).jpg
    259 KB · Views: 69
  • 6reed channel  (2).jpg
    6reed channel (2).jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 7NW reed bed (2).jpg
    7NW reed bed (2).jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 8NW reeds +channel (2).jpg