• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Belarus ..information wanted (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Has anybody been out to the southern marshes in Belarus? Or know where to get some detailed information? Planning a couple of weekend trips down there this spring and would be happy to hear from anybody who's seen the area's specialities. Thanks in advance.

Belarus

Jos Stratford said:
Has anybody been out to the southern marshes in Belarus? Or know where to get some detailed information? Planning a couple of weekend trips down there this spring and would be happy to hear from anybody who's seen the area's specialities. Thanks in advance.

Hello Jos,

never been there. Strenge camacdonald do not have this country in his table:
http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/Comparisons-Europe.htm

Ramsar give some overview
http://www.wetlands.org/RSDB/_COP9Directory/Directory/3BY004.html

Maybe here some useful informations ?
http://www.belarusguide.com/nature1/Nature.html

Best regards
Dieter

Wow, Jos!

Belarus is dream place for Polish birders. Pity that there is no information, difficult access and quirks of Communist bureaucracy. Countryside feels sometimes like time travel: thatched roofs, horse charts, crane wells, gigantic wetlands and miles of forests.

There are several gigantic wetlands full of ruffs, aquatic warblers and other goodies. Orlowskoe Bolota is 40km x 40km wetland without a single house in it - last outside Arctic North. Bialowieza is wilder than Polish part, with bison, great grey owl, capercaille and whatever. I was there few years ago and saw a village in the middle of marshes inhabited by 6 people and 21 white stork nests, with eagle owl nesting in the attic. Groups of up to 7 lesser spotted eagles circled around.

Trouble is that getting any bird-related info is problem. You should speak Russian or some Slavic language and have a car. Try to blend in, because people still live in communist reality and may be suspicious. I was denied selling a bus ticket because it was suspicuious why foreigner travelled there. Very few Polish went there, mostly history fans.

Azure Tit, Terek Sandpiper, Great Grey Owl and all specialities of Poland and Lithuania. So there are few new species, but it is magical to see country where birds rare and localised elsewhere in Europe are common and everywhere.

Unfortunately, specialities is problem and visiting is pain. Some Swedes tried to go on organised trip, paid Swedish prices and were duped. Customer-oriented economy is still unknown there. Travelling in Gujarat is easy in comparison ;-)

white-back said:
I could hAZard a guess..

Spot on there White-back ...only about three-four hours drive from my door (plus however long the border takes!).

As Jurek says, very little info available, hence requests here. That said. more or less, got info on a couple of sites, just will need to do some searching and have a bit of luck.

jurek said:
Countryside feels sometimes like time travel: thatched roofs, horse carts, crane wells, gigantic wetlands and miles of forests.

Er, that is Lithuania too :) Still, unlike Poland which I notice changing very fast, much of the rural farming is still done by horse ...ploughing, hay gathering, etc.

Belarus is still wilder, wilder, wilder. Biebrza in Poland can feel like time travel 50 years ago. Then Belarus is like second time travel 50 years more.

Jos Stratford said:
Er, that is Lithuania too :) Still, unlike Poland which I notice changing very fast, much of the rural farming is still done by horse ...ploughing, hay gathering, etc.
Try to contact Aleksander Vinchevski from BirdLife Belarus - he is a really friendly guy who knows places and birds: [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back