• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nuthatch (1 Viewer)

Buddhist Vegan Birder

wrong place, wrong time
Hiya,

I saw a ringed Nuthatch yesterday, metal ring on right leg, but, as it was in the tree, I could not read the number, etc from the ring. Is it still worth logging this sighting or do they (the ringing organisation) need the number from the ring for the sighting to be of any use to them?

thanks,
Lisa x

For birds with just metal rings, the number is the key bit. For birds with coloured rings, it is the combination of the colours that is key, so do keep an eye out for these as well.

Just for info, Nuthatches are quite commonly ringed in the UK, with between 1,000 and 1,500 ringed annually, half of which are ringed as chicks in nest boxes.

Mark Grantham
BTO Ringing Scheme

Hiya,

I saw a ringed Nuthatch yesterday, metal ring on right leg, but, as it was in the tree, I could not read the number, etc from the ring. Is it still worth logging this sighting or do they (the ringing organisation) need the number from the ring for the sighting to be of any use to them?

thanks,
Lisa x

Nuthatches don't usually move far so chances are it was ringed near by. Was it in Liverpool? You could try contacting this chap to see if there have been any ringed at that location.

Cheers,
Bob.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back