• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod for canon 500 f4?? (1 Viewer)

coreyhkh

Hello everyone I am looking for a good tripod the one I am using now is not really cutting it, I am looking for lightweight and quality.

price of $800 and lower would be welcome.

thanks for the help

feisol is a good choice - gitzo 3 or 5 series is another great choice.
I usually check the 2ndhand market when I am getting new equipment - I got at gitzo 3serier for around 350-400usd

You can get away with a 3 series Gitzo like the 3542LS. It is borderline, but packs easily and is easy to carry. Just watch how far you extend the bottom section of legs.

The Gitzo 4 series is probably a better option but can be hard to find.

The Gitzo 5 series is great - but it is more expensive and harder to carry for travel.

The Feisol 3372 or 3472 would probably be the best bet depending on whether you want a 3 section or 4 section model. Both of these models are well within your budget. I've handled a Feisol 3 section tripod recently and was quite impressed.

I have no experience of The Canon 500 F4 (or any 500 F4 for that matter!) however I do use the, somewhat heavier, Canon 600 F4 L IS. Mine sits on a Wimberley 2 head attached to a Gitzo 3530 LS. This light (1.7 Kilo) tripod easily supports the 600 with little or no vibration.
The bigger section tripods offer better damping rather than any, significant, heavy lifting properties. I use the heaviest (currently available) Canon set up (600 + 1D4) and find the 3 series more than adequate. I have directly compared my 3530 LS to a 5541 and could find no advantage other than confidence and street cred! I would love a 5 series but I ain't willing to carry it!

I am going to get a gitzo just not sure what model, would the GT3532S be tall enough I am 5'9 and I have a wimberley head.

Last edited:
I am going to get a gitzo just not sure what model, would the GT3532S be tall enough I am 5'9 and I have a wimberley head.

Funnily enough I am 5'9, use a wimberley 2 and my 35430ls is just right for most uses. It is a little short for air displays and a little higher than necessary for horizontal shots - handy for sloping ground. The 3530Ls is 148cm tall whereas the 3532s is somewhat shorter and I suspect this will be bit limiting. I also note that the 3532 is a bit heavier than my model (300 grams) and significantly more expensive!
I would suggest an internet trawl to see if any dealers still have the 3530LS or look for a used one?

Any of you looked at the Velbon Geo line as well? I think the 630 or 640 models should fill the bill quite nicely. Got mine and one for my brother directly from Asia via the "Bay", and had very good experiences in both cases.

Had a quick look at the Velbon Geo line - I am sure they are good tripods but they do not look up to the job of a 500mm F4 lens + camera + head. The camera, lens and head would exceed it rated by a considerable margin. The weight rating is 4 kilo whereas he would be putting 6-7 kilo on it, also the legs are too thin for this sort of work.
Really the 3 series gitzo is the minimum I would recommend, although my gitzo 2531 will easily support my 600 it is simply not rigid enough.

Hey guys another question should I get the 3 or 4 section. I have decided to go with the taller version since I don't plan on buying another tripod anytime soon, so I have to pick between. How tall does the 4 section stand with just 3 sections pulled out?

GT3532LS - 3 section
GT3542LS - 4 section

Hey guys another question should I get the 3 or 4 section. I have decided to go with the taller version since I don't plan on buying another tripod anytime soon, so I have to pick between. How tall does the 4 section stand with just 3 sections pulled out?

GT3532LS - 3 section
GT3542LS - 4 section

Just my 2p! I believe the fewer leg sections the better. For example the lower leg section on the 3532 will be 1 series whereas on the 3542 it will be the thinner 0 series. However 4 section tripods are generally shorter for carrying/storage. Have a play with both and see what you think, the folded length is not an issue to me (but it may be to you), I prefer the quicker setup and theoretically better rigidity of 3 leg sections.
Either tripod will do a good job.
Sorry I don't have any 4 section Gitzos to give you an idea of the height on 3 sections.

I'm 5'9" and have the 4 section. I typically extend the bottom section partially - about 3 inches less than fully extended.

The 4 section is only 21 inches long and packs a bit easier so it can be carried in a camera bag or carry on. At 26 inches the 3 section is harder to pack.

There may be a small difference in stability, but I have not seen it show in testing. You might get a different answer if the legs are fully extended. I have used my tripod fully extended on a slick frost covered surface. I got some slight flexing in the bottom legs that does not normally show up.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back