• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30E11 (1 Viewer)

Bencw

Well, finally took the plunge and added an E11 8X30 to my collection.

New from Clifton's. So my initial thoughts. Great binocular.
First off, I have read a lot of good things about this binocular, I guess my expectations were high, so I admit when I first looked through it, it did not give me a "wow moment".
Some binoculars do, not always the top ones, for example the Pentax Papillio 6.5x was a definite wow moment as I did not expect it to be so good as it is. So it's really about expectations.

Comparing briefly today with my Zeiss Oberkochen 8x30B, the first thing that is obvious is that the Nikon has a much,much wider FOV, obvious from stats, but immediately very noticeable when viewing. Another area where the Nikon excels is close focus, very,very good and the Zeiss can't match it. Detail definition is similar for both, but the Nikons clarity is superb and just marginally better than the older Zeiss glass. Also, the Nikon's image is quite a bit brighter, due to the newer coatings and ED glass no doubt. That leads me to color rendition, both very good, negligible CA to my eye, however my own feeling, is that new ED glass and the latest modern coatings improve brightness at the cost of some small degree of color depth, it something I notice more markedly with my Zeiss Victory FL, but it is to a lesser extent apparent with the E11. Here I personally prefer the slightly warmer tone of the Oberkochen, but this is personal and many think that the warmer colors of the old lead glass is less true to life than the image produced by modern glass. I have read that the E11 is a tad warmer than the SE, so I suspect the SE would not suit me in this respect. Depth of field seem pretty much the same. The rubber eye cups on the Nikon are very soft, the Oberkochen rubber is harder and as I tend to rest the cup under my eyebrows, this is difficult with the softer Nikon cup as it bends, so you need to put your eye more into the cup. My personal preference is the harder rubber of the Zeiss cup, but anyone who wears spectacles would probably prefer the Nikon. The Nikon handles well and is nice to hold, but so is the Oberkochen, size wise similar with the Nikon being marginally bigger looking at prism cover size. So, considering the Nikon is new and the Oberkochen was made in the 1950s, is the Nikon better? The answer is yes of course it is, but then, is the Nikon significantly better? Well, in 3 area's, FOV, close focus and brightness, I would say yes, no doubt, but in respect of everything else, no, not really. Brin Best's rating of these two binoculars in his article on 8x30 porro's would seem about right. I would however be very interested to compare the Nikon with what is probably the only other top notch 8x30 still in production, the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 porro. I suppose the only way to do that will be to get one of those as well.;)

Hello Bencw,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the EII Nikon. I have been advised that the 10x35 EII is an even better binocular, but I would not know from any personal experience.

In my experience, the Nikon 8x30 EII was the high water mark for Porro glasses, even if it was a little shy of eye relief. If I were not so clumsy, I would have kept mine. Is there an 8x32 roof binocular which exceeds the basic optical qualities, excepting close focus, of this Nikon?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Hi Bencw,

Absolutely love my EII, would`nt part with it for the World, and as Arthur points out I`v found nothing in a roof that exceeds what it does, its unique right now I think.

I see no difference in tone from my 550*** SE

Enjoy your truly exceptional binocular.

John.

Thank you for the well done summary of the Nikon 8x30 EII. I think you have hit the reasons so many of us have held rather than sold this model. And welcome to the Nikon 8x30 EII owners club.

I enjoy the 10x35 EII as well, but the 8x30 is really my go-to bin.

Well, finally took the plunge and added an E11 8X30 to my collection.

New from Clifton's. So my initial thoughts. Great binocular.
First off, I have read a lot of good things about this binocular, I guess my expectations were high, so I admit when I first looked through it, it did not give me a "wow moment".
Some binoculars do, not always the top ones, for example the Pentax Papillio 6.5x was a definite wow moment as I did not expect it to be so good as it is. So it's really about expectations.

Comparing briefly today with my Zeiss Oberkochen 8x30B, the first thing that is obvious is that the Nikon has a much,much wider FOV, obvious from stats, but immediately very noticeable when viewing. Another area where the Nikon excels is close focus, very,very good and the Zeiss can't match it. Detail definition is similar for both, but the Nikons clarity is superb and just marginally better than the older Zeiss glass. Also, the Nikon's image is quite a bit brighter, due to the newer coatings and ED glass no doubt. That leads me to color rendition, both very good, negligible CA to my eye, however my own feeling, is that new ED glass and the latest modern coatings improve brightness at the cost of some small degree of color depth, it something I notice more markedly with my Zeiss Victory FL, but it is to a lesser extent apparent with the E11. Here I personally prefer the slightly warmer tone of the Oberkochen, but this is personal and many think that the warmer colors of the old lead glass is less true to life than the image produced by modern glass. I have read that the E11 is a tad warmer than the SE, so I suspect the SE would not suit me in this respect. Depth of field seem pretty much the same. The rubber eye cups on the Nikon are very soft, the Oberkochen rubber is harder and as I tend to rest the cup under my eyebrows, this is difficult with the softer Nikon cup as it bends, so you need to put your eye more into the cup. My personal preference is the harder rubber of the Zeiss cup, but anyone who wears spectacles would probably prefer the Nikon. The Nikon handles well and is nice to hold, but so is the Oberkochen, size wise similar with the Nikon being marginally bigger looking at prism cover size. So, considering the Nikon is new and the Oberkochen was made in the 1950s, is the Nikon better? The answer is yes of course it is, but then, is the Nikon significantly better? Well, in 3 area's, FOV, close focus and brightness, I would say yes, no doubt, but in respect of everything else, no, not really. Brin Best's rating of these two binoculars in his article on 8x30 porro's would seem about right. I would however be very interested to compare the Nikon with what is probably the only other top notch 8x30 still in production, the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 porro. I suppose the only way to do that will be to get one of those as well.;)

Has it got ED glass?

Stan

Has it got ED glass?

Stan

You forgot to ask about waterproofing and a flat field. How are you going to get the obsessives to constructively criticize this old, basic and very simply constructed Porro prism binocular otherwise?;)3:):-O

Bob

A Nikon 8x30 E11 was my main birding bin untill very recently. I have recently bought a new Zeiss Victory HT 8x40 which I am very pleased with.

The main reason I have bought the Zeiss is because of the lack of waterproofing in the E11 was becoming a bit of an issue, and I was worried about damp ruining them.

My E11's really are superb and I will never part with them. The Zeiss has state of the art optics, but when comparing the two of them the E11 can still hold it's own optically. The Zeiss only really romps ahead when viewing under fading light when the bigger objectives, AB prisms and HT glass gather more light.

The E11 is much lighter and smaller in size though, great for travelling or just putting in a coat pocket when out for a walk

A classic porro that is sure to be collectable in years to come

Sandy

Hello Bencw,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the EII Nikon. I have been advised that the 10x35 EII is an even better binocular, but I would not know from any personal experience.

In my experience, the Nikon 8x30 EII was the high water mark for Porro glasses, even if it was a little shy of eye relief. If I were not so clumsy, I would have kept mine. Is there an 8x32 roof binocular which exceeds the basic optical qualities, excepting close focus, of this Nikon?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Thank you Arthur,

Well, I guess I could compare with my Zeiss Victory FL 8X32 roof, but I feel comparing roof and porro glasses of the same magnification is always a bit tricky, they are different tools, as you have the 3D effect of the porro, which the roof lacks,some people prefer the 3D, some do not notice the difference, and the roof image will always look a little bigger, due I think to the flat field rather than magnification aspects. I could look at things like FOV and brightness, color, but tend to think it will be neck and neck, maybe with the Nikon porro slightly better on color depth. I think a good test would be a comparison with the Swaro Habicht 8x30 W and wonder if anyone has done this? I never looked through one, but have read that the Habicht has poorer eye relief, suffers with CA in some conditions and is not quite a sharp as the Nikon SE, which is surprising given it almost is twice the price of the Nikons.

Last edited:
When you approach infinity the roof image won't appear to be any larger than a Porro prism's image. The FOV of the 8x30 EII is so wide compared to other 8x30/32 binoculars that one might get the impression that its image is smaller at infinity.

Bob

I don`t see a roof image as larger, it seems to me that a roof presents say a bird six inchs in front of my nose, whereas a Porro presents the same bird at arms length, may be a depth of field issue. It always feels like there`s more space between me and the bird with a Porro.

Just optical illusion.

Porro: Your brain doesn't think your head is bigger (wider eyes), just that the thing is further.

Roof: Your mind doesn't think the bird is bigger. It has a hunch what the size should be and thinks the thing is flying into your face
(it thinks 'closer' not 'bigger')

The cortex wants what it wants: Heads that don't swell and birds that don't blow up.

Last edited:
|:S|Yeah, I guess it is an optical illusion, I don't really know the reason, but when I compare say, my 7x Classic roof with my 7x porro, what I "see" with the roof is a a slightly larger or perhaps as torview said, closer object, so if that is what I see, to this simple sole that is what it is.

Last edited:
Of course...some models of binoculars don't have the nominal power value.
I have some 7x that I'm sure are 8x.

And...to add more confusion: using binoculars without glasses can shift the power.
More for bigger apertures than for small (more effect with longer EP focal lengths).
At -4D correction (my eyes are +4D too strong), I see a no-glasses boost to the 10x50s
but not so much with the 10x25s.

I enjoy using the Nikon 8x30 EII as well as the Swarovski Habicht 8x30W. They do overlap considerably in there usefulness though if I had to sell one it would be a tough choice. I probably use the Habicht more as a general observation tool for travelling and spectating at events. The Nikon EII I tend to enjoy more for nature and wildlife observation. I have not had the opportunity to try the Nikon 8x32 SE.

I don't use eyeglasses other than for reading and as far as eye relief is concerned I find both binoculars adequate but not exceptional. The Nikon EII has slightly more than the Habicht though because of the larger diameter eye cups they feel about the same for eye relief. The Nikon with eye cups folded down would be better than the Habicht for use with glasses I guess.

|:S|Yeah, I guess it is an optical illusion, I don't really know the reason, but when I compare say, my 7x Classic roof with my 7x porro, what I "see" with the roof is a a slightly larger or perhaps as torview said, closer object, so if that is what I see, to this simple sole that is what it is.

I asked a similar question on 24th August 2013 and received some very helpful answers with particularly succinct one from Henry Link.

I don't know how to attach that thread to his one, but of you click on my user name and follow the posts to the above date and click on that you can look at the whole thread.

If anyone can attach that thread or tell me how to do it, it would be helpful.

Stan

I enjoy using the Nikon 8x30 EII as well as the Swarovski Habicht 8x30W. They do overlap considerably in there usefulness though if I had to sell one it would be a tough choice. I probably use the Habicht more as a general observation tool for travelling and spectating at events. The Nikon EII I tend to enjoy more for nature and wildlife observation. I have not had the opportunity to try the Nikon 8x32 SE.

I don't use eyeglasses other than for reading and as far as eye relief is concerned I find both binoculars adequate but not exceptional. The Nikon EII has slightly more than the Habicht though because of the larger diameter eye cups they feel about the same for eye relief. The Nikon with eye cups folded down would be better than the Habicht for use with glasses I guess.

Hi plyscope, many thanks, interesting about eye relief, is there any particular reason you favor the E11 for nature? Do you find any color fringing issues with the Habicht? Having used the E11 a little bit I am finding I like it more and more. The wide FOV is outstanding.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back