• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dr. T. Charlton Henry (1 Viewer)

mb1848

I miss the key. Not sure what it says about Dr. Henry. But Zoonomen has Thomas Charles Henry which is wrong.
Dr. T. Charlton Henry
1825 – 1877
Father was a DD from Princeton born in Philadelphia who was a Presbyterian pastor in Charleston South Carolina. Jr. likely born there. Jr. attended Jefferson medical School in Philadelphia and was an assistant surgeon in the US Army stationed in New Mexico when he found and described a junco and crissal thrasher in the Proc Philadelphia Mus.
Toxostoma crissalis Henry, 1858, Proc. ANSP, 10, p. 117 (Corrected Page) – Fort Thorn, New Mexico. [= Toxostoma [redivivum] crisale Henry] * HOLOTYPE: ANSP 23713, O–? ad. Original T. C. Henry Label data: Mimbres to Rio Grande, –L. 32°. Dr. T. C. Henry, U.S.A. Stone’s Type. REMARKS: The suppressed page 117 listed the species name as dorsalis. This has been suppressed in favor of crissale by the I.C.Z.N. (1983a).”
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/45973859#page/309/mode/1up .
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/183045#page/137/mode/1up .
WESTERN NIGHTHAWK CHORDEILES MINOR HENRYI Cassin
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/87221#page/333/mode/1up .
It would be interesting to see if he fought in the civil war and on which side. If he was a slave trader we could get rid of Henry’s Nighthawk.

Thank you Martin. A picture and all. Lieutenant-Colonel is a pretty high rank in the US Army? But I have no other info. My guess is the picture is of the father Dr. Thomas Charlton Henry just from the fashion the person is wearing?? Just a guess. I am also guessing it is from the Ruthven Dean collection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthven_Deane .

So lets see how this myth and all these half truths developed.

There are 3 men [edit actually 4 see below].

Clearly our Reverend is not the father of 2 and according to the family's genealogy 2 is not the father of 3! The photo shown maybe 2 but as has been pointed out the dress is a generation earlier.

One wonders how this all began.

1. Rev Thomas Charlton Henry
Birth: 12/10/1790 Philadelphia Pennsylvania United States of America
Death: 05/10/1827 Charleston South Carolina United States of America

born in Philadelphia , Penn . , Sept .22, 1790 . He studied his profession at Princeton Theo . Sem .; was Pastor of the Presbyterian church in Columbia , S . C ., 18 18—23 in Charleston , S . C from 1824 till his death , of yellow fever , Oct . 5 , 1827 . He received the degree of D . D . from Yale College , in 1824 . His published works are , An Inquiry into the Consistency of Popular
Amusements with a Profession of Christianity ; Letters to an Anxious
Inquirer ; Moral Etchings . As far as I can tell he never looked at a bird in his life!

2. Thomas Charlton Henry
BIRTH 20 Apr 1828
DEATH 31 Aug 1890 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania United States of America.

3. Maj. Thomas Charlton Henry
Birthdate: March 24, 1887
Birthplace: Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, United States
Death: January 24, 1936 (48)
Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, United States

What I can say is that Number 2 seems to be "our man" - he was NOT a Rev he was NOT a Lt Colonel (or a major) he was not even regular army he was a contract surgeon (22 April 1852-c.1855)

Last edited:
Good catch Mark!

Thomas Charlton Henry (1928-1890) is not our man:

Name: Thomas Charlton Henry
Birth Date: 20 Apr 1828
Death Date: 31 Aug 1890
Cemetery: Laurel Hill Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Has Bio?: N
Father: John Snowden Henry
Mother: Elizabeth I. Henry
Spouse: Mary Elizabeth Henry
Children: Alexander Henry

So that's clearly wrong.

So there is a Number 4!!!:

Name: Thomas Charlton Henry
Birth Date: 26 Sep 1826
Death Date: Jan 1878

But TC Henry Snr didn't conceive in a Fever induced coma (see date) :)

See attached from https://www.amazon.com/genealogy-Davis-family-1905-Hardcover/dp/9333371877.

For details of T.C. Henry jnrs life see second attached piece - rather sad - Still he was not regular army...

Attachments

• TCHenry.JPG
    TCHenry.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 10
  • TCHenryJnr.JPG
    TCHenryJnr.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks Paul great stuff! Very sad but at least he did not support slavery.
Martin, your third link is very interesting to me. My son through his Mother is related to Col. Gunnison. Ive seen family documents which tell a different story about his death. The family blame the Mormon leaders. Gunnison had written a book about the Mormons. The Family believed native people who were members of the Mormons were asked to make the massacre site look like native tribes had done it. There were criminal trials but Salt Lake juries would not convict Mormon leaders.

Last edited:
In Florence Merriam Bailey's Birds of New Mexico (1928), "our guy" is listed (by Wells Woodbridge Cooke) as:

"Thomas Charlton Henry (died January 5, 1877)." [here, on p.19]

He's mentioned repeatedly (many, many times) in the same book.

Hopefully of some use/help ...

/B

I miss the key. Not sure what it says about Dr. Henry. ...
Mark, who doesn't miss the dear old Key (!?), but its entry for henryi have been accounted for/dealt with earlier (back in 2017), in thread Heliodoxa jacula henryi Lawrence, 1866 (= here, see #2).

It's always worth using the "Search this Forum" function, before brooding too deep. ;)

/B

--

Last edited:
According to Huachuca Illustrated, Vol. 11, 1999 (a Magazine of the Fort Huachuca Museum):

... Dr. Thomas Charlton Henry. He was a contract surgeon who signed on with the U.S. Army on 22 April 1852. He was sent to New Mexico where he became stationed first at Fort Fillmore, then Fort Webster. When the latter was abandoned in December 1853, he moved with the troops to Fort Thorn. He wrote a letter to the Philadelphia Inquirer, which was published on 21 September 1853.

[...] This is a curious and unique country—New Mexico, ... [...] The plains swarm with with antelopes; the hills with deer and 'grizzlies'; the rivers with swans, ducks and wild geese; while among the timber generally, are to be fond many curious birds, peculiar to the country, some specimens of which are yet undescribed. ...

... and onwards.

[from here, pp.62–63]
Surely this must be "our guy"!?

Or what have I missed?

/B
--

Last edited:
In Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, Vol. 29 (1877), we find all the "Members of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, From the foundation of the Society, March 21, 1812, until June 30, 1877" [here]:
[...]
Henry, T. Charlton, M. D., U. S. A. [Army] ...
[...]
"Names of members known to be deceased are in italics" (on p.1, of the same List/s).

Still fit the bill.

/B

Thanks Björn :
old: ● Lt.-Col. Thomas Charlton Henry (1825-1877) US Army surgeon, collector (subsp. Chordeiles minor).
new: Dr. Thomas Charlton Henry (1826-1877) US Army surgeon, collector (subsp. Chordeiles minor).
Author of Junco dorsalis and T. crissale?
I cannot prove it but I feel 1850's army surgeons were not regular army but were given some kind of commission so they could boss staff around but he was never a Major or anothing that grand.

Björn the Gunnison sage-grouse may be one of yours? John Gunnison's grandfather was Hugh Gunnison, who was probably brought over to Boston by an English captain emigrating by way of Holland in 1631. . . . His
name, the son of Gunni, points to Norwegian ancestry. Family oral history is he was Swedish. I think the grouse is named for the county not the man?

from Hume, Edgar Erskine. "ORNITHOLOGISTS OF THE UNITED STATES ARMY MEDICAL CORPS: Part I." Bulletin of the History of Medicine 8.9 (1940): 1301-1388.

"It was 1906 when medical officers were given the titles they now hold, previously being known by such tides as Assistant Surgeon (ranking as First Lieutenant), Assistant Surgeon (ranking as Captain), Surgeon (ranking as Major), Deputy Surgeon General (ranking as Lieutenant-Colonel) and Assistant Surgeon General (ranking as Colonel). There were also certain medical officers holding the grades of Chief Medical Purveyor (Colonel) and Assistant Medical Purveyor (Lieutenant-Colonel). At times the title Medical Inspector connoted Lieutenant-Colonel and Medical Director corresponded to Colonel."

old: ● Lt.-Col. Thomas Charlton Henry (1825-1877) US Army surgeon, collector (subsp. Chordeiles minor).
new: Dr. Thomas Charlton Henry (1826-1877) US Army surgeon, collector (subsp. Chordeiles minor).
"(1826-1877)" ... !?

Sorry I cannot follow.

Based on what?

/B

The attached record is from Heitman's Register Part II - Complete Alphabetical List of Commissioned Officers of the Army, September 29, 1789, to March 2, 1903.

From this we learn:

1) That TC had 2 terms of service. Following his enlistment as a "United States Volunteer" in the Union army TC Henry was awarded a brevet Lt Colonel's rank - these were being handed out like candy at the end of the war.

"Brevet rank in the Union Army, whether in the Regular Army or the United States Volunteers, during and at the conclusion of the American Civil War, may be regarded as an honorary title which conferred none of the authority, precedence, nor pay of real or full rank. The vast majority of the Union Army brevet ranks were awarded posthumously or on or as of March 13, 1865, as the war was coming to a close. U.S. Army regulations concerning brevet rank provided that brevet rank could be claimed "in courts-martial and on detachments, when composed of different corps" and when the officer served with provisional formations made up of different regiments or companies, or "on other occasions""

2) That he died 5 Jan 1877

For the date of birth please see the attachment in my previous post Björn :)

heitmans.JPG

Last edited:
For the date of birth please see the attachment in my previous post Björn :)
Paul, that I saw, but I (still) don't understand why that certain text is more reliable than other sources/texts, as it said that he died in "Jan. 1878". Clearly not all accurate.

Anyone who know the origin of/reason for the claim (in multiple books/papers, for example; here) that Dr Henry was born in "1825"?

Or is this simply yet another case of him being mentioned (somewhere, at some point), with/at a certain age, alt. "died at the age of ...", and then someone counted the/his years backwards (regardless of months/dates) ... or?

/B

--

Last edited:
Björn dang your eyes. But I think your conservatism on this is correct until we find a Charlston South Carolina bnirth certificate and a West Virginia death certificate 1825-1877 stands. And the Eponym Dictionary and James are correct about Lieutenamnt Colonel but thanks to Paul's research Brevet should be added.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back