• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (44 Viewers)

Today's highlights:

FLASHES/HEN POOL*
Ringed Plover (3 juvs)--------------Avocet (3)
Common Sand (3)------------------Green Sand (4)
Snipe (2)----------------------------Lapwing. None roosting but c80 over northern fields.
Curlew (18)-------------------------Teal (41)
Shoveler (26)-----------------------Raven (2)
Whitethroat (2)---------------------Reed Warbler
Redstart. Feeding from hedge in transmitter field.
Water Rail---------------------------Peregrine
Kestrel------------------------------B H Gull (c600)
L B B Gull (30)----------------------Goldcrest (2)
Cetti's Warbler*

MOORS/N MOORS*
Little Grebe (14)--------------------Sand Martin (3)
Gadwall (5)-------------------------Shoveler (1)
Teal (8)*----------------------------Coot (194)
Collared Dove (2)-------------------B H Gull (c200)
L B B Gull (27)----------------------Nuthatch (2)
Cormorant (4)----------------------Rook (c150). Disturbed from fields west of the A38 along with gulls.
Water Rail--------------------------Cetti's Warbler
Greylag Goose (40)----------------Egyptian Goose (2)
Mistle Thrush (6) (JS)--------------Chaffinch. Just for JTB and the all-dayer but only a flyover by the barn conversions.

Des.

Last edited:
August finished on 104 species (the same as April) with the year list advanced to 137.

September should produce a higher monthly total with potential additions including Yellow-legged Gull, Caspian Gull, Wood Sandpiper, Spotted Redshank, Turnstone, Little Stint, Rock Pipit, Tree Pipit and Whinchat. There are also several inland Shag at the minute so worth giving any Cormorant-like birds more than a courtesy glance.

Not sure I can remember a Rook flock that large in the reserve's recent history Des?

The biggest flock I can find a note of in the last decade is 85 which feed on stubble in the newly cut cereal field to the north of the first Flash on the 12th August 2010. The reserve's peak count is 500 birds from an unknown date in late 1994.

Monday now Wednesday ...not meant to get one this year :-C

Here are a couple of record shot of Wednesday's early morning Wheatear at the Flashes. ;)

I'm having the same difficulty seeing Yellow Wagtail at UW this year. Hopefully, we'll get both at Saturday's all-dayer.... and maybe a late cuckoo.8-P

I'm hoping to get there for about 5am and head for the Flashes if it's raining or visit the Education Reserve in search of Tawny Owl if it's dry. A parking space in the overflow car park would be much appreciated.

Can you also put me down for a bacon sarnie please. See you on Saturday.:t:

Attachments

• Wheateardoc.jpg
    Wheateardoc.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Wheatear2doc.jpg
    Wheatear2doc.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Here are a couple of record shot of Wednesday's early morning Wheatear at the Flashes. ;)

I'm having the same difficulty seeing Yellow Wagtail at UW this year. Hopefully, we'll get both at Saturday's all-dayer.... and maybe a late cuckoo.8-P

I'm hoping to get there for about 5am and head for the Flashes if it's raining or visit the Education Reserve in search of Tawny Owl if it's dry. A parking space in the overflow car park would be much appreciated.

Sarnie for me as well please John.

Des.

:t:

Yes to both You and Des. I will unlock the overflow car park gate but shut it after me. If you get there after me could you shut the gate B :) john

ps wheatear pic ouch!! hopefully yellow wag and wheatear Saturday:t:

Last edited:
Terry Hinett reports as follows today:

FLASHES - 4 Avocet, 2 Ringed Plover, 4 Green Sand, 3 Common Sand, 2 Snipe

MOORS - 2 Hobby, 2 Egyptian Goose, 2 Kingfisher, 2 Gadwall

Early weather forecast shows an overcast day with SSW / SW winds and temperatures reaching 17C. The cloudy gets thickest mid afternoon with a little rain promised. Not the best forecast for big numbers of migrants but not the worst either.

The weather forecast much closer to the day has now changed dramatically. The winds are now southerly / SSW with temperatures rising to 18C. However there will be some serious rain, starting at noon after a cloudy morning. It will be a case of going hard early on to clear up all the passerines and wait for the rain to bring birds down in the afternoon.

Autumn All-Dayer

A little late, and with no stats other than those you can glean from the attachment, due to circumstances.

I can say that we have not yet failed to add to the overall list on any all-dayer, with last years' addition being an over-flying Tree Pipit. Having now said this, we will probably not add anything new this year ;)

The attached is in the form of a tick-list, based on old taxonomical order 'cos I can't get to grips with the new one. This also shows the number of years in which a species has been recorded on an autumn all-dayer and the year it was last recorded.

I hope to be down briefly tomorrow, perhaps early'ish and then late on for all those waders and terns brought down by the afternoon's rain :t:

Hope it is a good day and that we manage to beat the day-list record for Autumn, which currently stands at 89... being the total we managed last year.

Attachments

• Autumn all dayer checklist.xls
    18.5 KB · Views: 65
Andy - do you think this is the same Wheatear as Monday? That bird seemed to be a much more sandy coloured individual?

I am uncertain as to whether the sightings on Monday & Wednesday relate to the same bird. However, it should be noted that the light in which I photographed Wednesday's bird was quite different to the bright sunlight in which Monday's bird was observed. I was also saw the bird at much closer range on Wednesday than the more distant telescopic views I experienced on Monday.

A little late, and with no stats other than those you can glean from the attachment, due to circumstances.

I can say that we have not yet failed to add to the overall list on any all-dayer, with last years' addition being an over-flying Tree Pipit. Having now said this, we will probably not add anything new this year ;)

The attached is in the form of a tick-list, based on old taxonomical order 'cos I can't get to grips with the new one. This also shows the number of years in which a species has been recorded on an autumn all-dayer and the year it was last recorded.

I hope to be down briefly tomorrow, perhaps early'ish and then late on for all those waders and terns brought down by the afternoon's rain :t:

Hope it is a good day and that we manage to beat the day-list record for Autumn, which currently stands at 89... being the total we managed last year.

That's for posting Mike. Would be very disappointed if we don't add another species this autumn, even if it's just that pair of lingering plastic fantastic geese ....

Having looked at the detail are you sure something hasn't gone awry in the formatting in some areas - Wood Sand in more years than Green or Common, Med Gull in more years than BHG??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back