• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Expert opinions needed! (1 Viewer)

peabee

Advice please...

A couple of years ago I was looking for binoculars for other half and self, and, having scoured online reviews and dealers in an attempt to keep the budget down finally went for a pair of Barr & Stroud 8x42 Sierras for her at around £80, and, that being the only 8x42 Sierra the supplier had, I opted for the 10x50 version.

Apart from being a very amateur but enthusiastic birdwatcher I’m an extremely amateur... er... skywatcher (why does that sound familiar?), so the 10x50s seemed to fit the bill in both camps.

Time moving on, and having in the interim also purchased a Canon Powershot SX40 HS, by use of which the quality of my bird photos has increased dramatically- inasmuch as I’m actually now able to zoom in and show detail rather than point to a fuzzy blob on my MacBook screen and say: “No, it really IS a green woodpecker...”, I feel I should also up the ante optics-wise. (I keep meaning to post photos on Birdforum by the way-including some taken on Lundy earlier this year, but apparently need to reduce their size. Is there an easy way of doing this?)

The Canon was a compromise between 1) getting high quality DSLR images using the relevant equivalent zoom lens or 2) being able to take reasonable quality pictures and still be able to afford to eat for the rest of the year. And the year after that.

My next set of binoculars would also have to follow the same criteria, and I’m thinking of somewhere in the lower region of £200- £300, obviously looking for bargains / best value in the process, and preferably something in the region of 8X40 (or 42 as in the case of my good lady’s Sierras), i.e. smaller. The image of the 8X42 is to my eyes that much brighter, and has about an 80 foot advantage, field-of-view-wise.

Back to optics. Having driven myself crazy once more in search of that ultimate bargain, I’m again finding that just as I think I’ve got somewhere, it only takes one odd remark in a forum to shoot my enthusiasm down in flames.

Things like (despite several people raving about a particular product): ‘I had two of these and they were both faulty’, ‘The eye relief is not long enough’, ‘I found too much chromatic aberration around the edge of the field of view’, ‘I would have expected better at this price level’.

The last one there being an opinion rather than a verifiable fact I guess, and I’m not sure what they’d be comparing it against in the first place (well, yes, binoculars obviously...).

I’m seeing some absolute bargains around- a couple of the best ones being in America, which sadly, for the purposes of this particular thread, is not where I am. Do they even SELL Zhumells or Zen-Rays over here in Blighty?

There’s also the nagging doubt that if something seems an absolute bargain, is it really such a bargain? Could it be an older or newer version of the bins everyone’s been raving about? And don't you hate it when there's often a crucial piece of information missing when you're comparing one pair with another, be it twilight rate or prism or lens quality?

I was also looking to not buy Chinese binoculars for a change, hoping to get something with Japanese or German optics- and now of course there’s the buzz about how good Chinese optics are getting, at a fraction of the cost of said Japanese and German optics- the Celestron Granite being a case in point. So, back to the drawing board on that line of thought...

To cut this shorter (an approach many of you reading this will by now be wishing I’d adopted at the beginning of this post), I’m currently hovering in the area of the following, based on such aspects as ED glass, generally favourable reviews and offers. The primary use will be birdwatching.

Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8 x 42

Hawke Frontier ED 8 x 43 or 8 x 36

Eagle Optics 6 x 32 Ranger SRT

VANGUARD Spirit ED 8 x 42

Helios Aero ED 8 x 42

Steiner Skyhawk Pro 8 x 32

I’ve also been considering Vortex, Opticron and Nikon too.

And every so often up would pop something like the Hilkinson Hawk 7 x 42 Japanese optic-ed stalking binoculars. Are they any good?

The list above is a much reduced version of the possibles I’ve been mulling over. Are the choices I’ve made the right side of wise, or should I re-think? And is it better to get 8 X 42 or 8 X 32s or smaller? How do the smaller bins handle twilight?

There is also the matter of different brand names being applied to essentially the same binocular. Does anybody have any useful (money saving!) hints in that area? Is there a rough guide to this anywhere on Birdforum?

And should I be looking to the higher end of the £200- £300 scale- or is there adequate scope (no pun intended) at the lower end?

Sorry to have gone on, but I hope a healthy debate ensues- so perhaps even if there’s no definitive answer I may at least have an idea of what NOT to buy!

Cheers,

Peabee

Hi pb. If you don't need waterproof (and let's face it, few of us really do), and you want absolutely top class bins in the 300-400 sterling range (indeed top-class at any price), Clifton cameras still have the hard-to-source Nikon EII 8x30 for 369 sterling.

Last edited:
Thanks

Sancho-
Thanks for that suggestion. They're a little higher than the budget I was working around, but now I've read their write up I can feel my eyes wandering around the room looking for things to sell on ebay... things she wouldn't miss too much... ahem... only kidding... cough...
The other thing here is that I quite like roof prism binoculars, although I have got a(n) Helios 7x50 Fieldmaster porro we keep at the kitchen window, which is OK. This roof prism bias has certainly influenced my short list choices.
But you've certainly given me something to think about now, and I'm re-evaluating my approach to this search of mine, and may yet convince myself that I SHOULD stretch out a bit to get the absolutely right thing now, instead of two pairs of binoculars on into the future.
The Nikon seems well worthy of consideration, and it would have completely escaped my notice, so thanks again.
Cheers,
Peabee

Hi Peabee,

Your short list certain contains variety. ;) The only one I haven't tried on that list is the Vanguard. They are all interesting in somewhat different ways, but I'd pick out the Bushnell and Hawke as best for general birding. I would add in the Opticron Countryman HD as well. These three are rather different in size, weight, view flatness and colour bias and suggest you really need to try them for yourself. I can't think of a single shop that stocks them all in the London area. InFocus at London Colney isn't too far away and might have the Hawke and the Opticron or Microglobe in Holborn might have the Bushnell and Opticron. Phone before you go there to check.

David

PB the only one there I`v owned was the Hawke frontier ed in 10x43, really really good binocular I got at a great discount, which is why I bought it, but I don`t care for a 10x so sold it on, the only small niggle was a half moon white halo in the lower half of the eyepiece in some light conditions.

Here`s a good take on the Bushnell started yesterday, I`ll be trying this one when the opportunity presents itself.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=234571

Cheers

Typo and Torview-

Thanks for your input too.

Typo- The Opticron Countryman HD had flitted briefly past my eyes during my online excursions, and on looking deeper now they do seem to be very good indeed. Thanks for your opinion on the Bushnell and Hawke- and yes, London Colney and Holborn are reachable without breaking into a sweat, so worth a look indeed.

Torview- Thanks for adding to the Legend HD ‘for’ argument. As for the link, I wonder whether Cabela’s could be persuaded to open a store on British soil? As the writer noted though- it could be dangerous for the wallet.

Since Sancho tipped me off about the Nikon 8x30 EII I found the following link, which I hope will be of some use, if only as a springboard for discussion.

Cheers again,

Peabee

http://brinbest.com/id38.html

Gulp.

Just to let you know- and thanks again to all for your advice- but I bit the bullet and went for the Nikon 8x30 Eii.
The 'gulp' of the title of this message refers to me realising I've actually spent that kind of money on a pair of binoculars- as well as the effect the view through them had on me.
Fab.

Given your starting list I wouldn't have guessed that outcome. Without doubt, a great choice.... worth every penny. :t:

David

Just to let you know- and thanks again to all for your advice- but I bit the bullet and went for the Nikon 8x30 Eii.
The 'gulp' of the title of this message refers to me realising I've actually spent that kind of money on a pair of binoculars- as well as the effect the view through them had on me.
Fab.

Great choice Peabee!

I have 2 of them. I got my first one around 2000 AD so that was a while ago!;) It still is ticking like a Timex but I have had to reglue it's faux leather covers a couple of times. Your new one has corrected that problem. It is a very easy binocular to use. I can put it on target instinctively. It's wide field of view is friendly and welcoming! (I think that is better than describing it as "immersive" which brings up connotations of baptism, or heaven forbid, drowning:eek!:.

Brin Best also wrote a great book on Binoculars: "Binoculars and People." It is getting hard to find now but is worth looking for.

http://brinbest.com/id14.html

Enjoy your 8 x 30 EII!:t:

Bob

Last edited:
Peabee,

Like you I bought a Nikon 8x30 EII after reading all the rave reviews here on BF. Also the article by Brin Best, in which he rates the 8X30 EII as good optically as the Nikon 8x32 SE, which are reckoned by many to be the ultimate porros.

If I haven't used my bins for a few days, the first look through is always a wow moment. I think you will be very pleased with your purchase.

I have never seen another birder in the UK using them, there are at least two of us now!

Sandy

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back