• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Texas Birds: Holiday Beach near Rockport (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
A few more from my trip to South Tex!

1. Willet?
2. Fairly sure this is Long-Billed Curlew but just want to confirm!
3. We had a lot of discussion about this one. We concluded juvenile White-Faced Ibis but couldnt rule out Glossy
4. Yellowlegs sp? Which type?
5. Willet again?

Attachments

• P1730526 (2).jpg
    P1730526 (2).jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 29
  • P1730706 (2).jpg
    P1730706 (2).jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 34
  • P1730771 (2).jpg
    P1730771 (2).jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 31
  • P1740017 (2).jpg
    P1740017 (2).jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 36
  • P1740041 (2).jpg
    P1740041 (2).jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 28
#1: yes
#2: amazing bill, you can't go wrong with that one
#4: thick bill base and bill colour suggest Pectoral Sandpiper best to me. Do you have any more photos of this one? They'd help.
#5: Lesser Yellowlegs

pass on the Ibis :)

Correct on #1 and #2. I lean towards Glossy Ibis on #3, but I'm not sure. First impression of #4 is pectoral Sandpiper, and I think #5 is Lesser Yellowlegs.

Cross-posted with Rafael. Looks like we agree. :)

I have many photos of both the piper and the ibis, as I figured I'd need them for exactly this reason ;)

What features are you both looking for exactly?

Attachments

• P1740010 (2).jpg
    P1740010 (2).jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 26
  • P1730826.jpg
    P1730826.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 21
In the field we decided on the ibis based on the eye colour, there was a dark red colour to the eye when seen through a scope which does not show up in my photos

For the Sandpiper I was looking for one where the bill would be fully exposed, but in this new one you can see the "breast band" which is typical of Pectoral (and gave it its name).
Re the ibis, the eye looks quite dark, which would favour Glossy over White-faced.

Definitely a pectoral. That breast pattern is unique.

As to the ibis, I lean Glossy. The eye doesn't look red enough, and none of the other bare parts show any red.

The pale lines above and below the bare skin at the base of the bill seems about the same. Assuming this is a first year bird, that would indicate Glossy. If older, then lack of pink probably is enough to make same conclusion.

Niels

Can just about make out a bit of eye colour in this pic.

I've also found some photos on eBird of what appears to be the same bird we saw (it was the only ibis in the field, and somebody else has a black-coloured ibis in the exact same location one day later), and their photo shows a dark eye too. So I think glossy is correct

Attachments

• P1730775 (2).JPG
    P1730775 (2).JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back