• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simon King green Victory 8x32 T*FL (1 Viewer)

Done that, nothing found this side of the pond, so as stated here and on other threads, all unsubstantiated rumours.

Watched it, nothing much to add aside from the binocular repeatedly being referred to as a compact. My interpretation has been that a "compact" bino is 25mm objective lens or under whilst a 32mm and above is deemed to be a full size unit.

The early Zeiss FL, which were available in green, had a tendency to eventually stain where they came into contact with the black objective caps and other black plastic accessories. I know nothing about the Simon King edition, but if the armor is made from the same material as the old green ones, you should be careful if you want to keep it looking pretty.

--AP

Useful tip; thank you, Alexis. I have to admit I'm not a fan of objective caps on smaller binoculars as everything gets to close and fiddly.

Tom

Errrrr - - -who is Simon King ????.

o:D

Cheers.
Bloke who was on nature programmes on the telly in England. Birder/Naturalist, Zeiss sponsored him. I don't know if they used his endorsements for advertising outside of England, I imagine he wouldn't be that well-known in, for example, Germany. I recognised him when I looked him up 'cos we can get UK telly here.

I have one, SK had one and a couple of people in Zeiss management had one.

Gary.
We could start a list of SK/FL owners, to add to our birding lists!;) (Although we might get in trouble, like the English birder-guy some years back who started a 'List of birders who've seen 500 species', and it all went south and ended up in the courts:eek!:)

We could start a list of SK/FL owners, to add to our birding lists!;) (Although we might get in trouble, like the English birder-guy some years back who started a 'List of birders who've seen 500 species', and it all went south and ended up in the courts:eek!:)

We could but I hope if Simon is reading this he won't object to the fact I got them because they were green not because they were his special edition. And because they are good Zeiss quality and have scrubbed up well over the years.

Attachments

• Bino & Case.jpg
    Bino & Case.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
The ideograms on the case and the strap are a logo that Simon King was using at the time the binocular was released.

Gary.

Somewhat belatedly . . .

For Simon’s history and accomplishments, see the summary on his website: https://www.simonkingwildlife.com/about-simon-2/

And to complement Patudo’s photos in post #12, an image showing the bag that came with the binocular (I don't know what the ideograms are supposed to mean - perhaps a brand?)
it’s from Uttings: https://www.uttings.co.uk/p109957-z...ing-limited-edition-binoculars-52-32-32-9910/

John
I'm.assuming the ideograms represent Wildlife-Watching, Photography and Hiking

Attachments

• IMG_20190926_184503_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20190926_184503_hdr.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 50
That makes 3 BF members and presumably SK himself...only 246 other owners to identify!

I have number 2. SK had number 1, Germany number 0, Gary Hawkins had one of the very first.
All units were sold the last 30 purchased by 1 retailer

Last edited:
I have number 2. SK had number 1, Germany number 0, Gary Hawkins had one of the very first.
All units were sold the last 30 purchased by 1 retailer
Hi Mak, mine has a serial number of seven digits, ending in 8. Do yours have a number indicating their place in the 250 units?
Also, as with all Zeiss binos, mine have some accessories packed in various fold-out parts of the box. Opening the compartments requires Advanced Origami Engineering, beyond my capabilities;).

Somewhat belatedly . . .

For Simon’s history and accomplishments, see the summary on his website: https://www.simonkingwildlife.com/about-simon-2/

And to complement Patudo’s photos in post #12, an image showing the bag that came with the binocular (I don't know what the ideograms are supposed to mean - perhaps a brand?)
it’s from Uttings: https://www.uttings.co.uk/p109957-z...ing-limited-edition-binoculars-52-32-32-9910/

John

Thank you, John. Mine came with the same case in clearly used but still good condition and also the guarantee cards and a certificate of authenticity that the binoculars are one of the Simon King limited edition.

Tom

WorthPoint (a listing of finalised sales) has images of an SK model at: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/carl-zeiss-victory-8x32-fl-green-267834825

It includes photos of:
- a slightly different bag (note the way the strap attaches to the body of the bag), and

- a certificate which indicates that the serial number of the particular unit is #3,548,417, and that it is one of a limited edition of 250

So perhaps a later unit in the sequence

John

Attachments

• from WorthPoint 1.jpg
    from WorthPoint 1.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 63
  • from WorthPoint 2.jpg
    from WorthPoint 2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 57
Hello Tom,

I have had my ordinary 8x32 FL for fourteen years of good use. I hope that you may make good use of yours. Although it added Lotutec and may have updated the coatings, Zeiss has not replaced the 8x32 with a newer top of the line model

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Thank you, Arthur. It is a great model and I have to say I am very impressed by the FL range in general. I also have the glamour bottles (8x56 FL), they contain some magic elixir, but the 8x32 FL is an ounce or two lighter to carry round. This is a glass that will be used a lot and kept.

Best wishes,
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back