Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Questionnaire: What Do You Think About Birds Of Prey?

Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 12:13   #1
amym389

Exclamation Questionnaire: What Do You Think About Birds Of Prey?

My name is Amy and I am a third-year student at Nottingham Trent University. I am studying for my BSc Wildlife Conservation degree, and I have created this questionnaire to determine public perceptions of birds of prey in Northern Ireland compared to England. The data received will be analysed and interpreted for my dissertation. All returned questionnaires will be completely anonymous, so please answer all questions honestly.

‘Birds of prey’ and ‘raptors’ may be used interchangeably throughout.

In total, there are 15 mandatory questions and 6 optional questions. However, if you do not want to answer a question, you do not need to.

It would be massively appreciated if you could fill this in. It only takes a few minutes of your time. Here is the link:
https://ntusurvey.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/5k2thygx9m-11
Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 12:38   #2
PYRTLE

Completed
Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 21:26   #3
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

What do people think of the 1st raptor pic? Buzzard, or Red-tailed Hawk juv.?
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 09:04   #4
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Why would you even think it was not a British species?

The survey is being done by a Brit (presumably) at a an Engish Uni and the two other species are found in the UK, why would they throw ina bird that many in the UK wouldn't recognise?

I think the intention, is to establish what kind of people are filling in the survey?

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 9th October 2019 at 09:08.
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 09:53   #5
Hauksen

Hi Andy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
To me, the bird doesn't look entirely like a typical Common Buzzard either. Might be me, or might be the bird ... I would love to hear what the community here thinks about that raptor.

Regards,

Henning
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 10:07   #6
Farnboro John

Red-tailed Hawk in Yellowstone for comparison.

John

https://www.birdforum.net/attachment...7&d=1412190326
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 10:14   #7
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
I really struggled with the first pic, then told myself to stop being silly ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post

The survey is being done by a Brit (presumably) at a an Engish Uni and the two other species are found in the UK, why would they throw ina bird that many in the UK wouldn't recognise?

I think the intention, is to establish what kind of people are filling in the survey?
Assumption is that the pic was taken off the internet as a 'buzzard'. Could be a real problem for the dissertation if so ...
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 10:20   #8
Gwynn

If this story is true it was taken in the UK https://www.winsfordguardian.co.uk/n...great-picture/
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 10:46   #9
Farnboro John

Done. If there are no copyright issues I would appreciate the OP making the results available on this thread in due course.

John
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 10:48   #10
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Like Henning and Dan Theman, I thought it 'didn't look quite right' for a Common Buzzard, and thought it might be a stock photo off the internet with a RTH mislabelled as CB - though unlike Gwynn, I wasn't able to find the pic elsewhere even with google image search.

If it is indeed in Winsford / Weaver Parkway, then yes, it should be a Buzzard: but there are also a number of escaped falconers' RTH floating around the country, so that still can't be completely excluded.

Anyone know of any reliable ID characters to distinguish RTH from CB, particularly in immature plumage when RTH doesn't have a red tail?

Last edited by Nutcracker : Wednesday 9th October 2019 at 10:52.
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 10:57   #11
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Like Henning and Dan Theman, I thought it 'didn't look quite right' for a Common Buzzard, and thought it might be a stock photo off the internet with a RTH mislabelled as CB - though unlike Gwynn, I wasn't able to find the pic elsewhere even with google image search.

If it is indeed in Winsford / Weaver Parkway, then yes, it should be a Buzzard: but there are also a number of escaped falconers' RTH floating around the country, so that still can't be completely excluded.

Anyone know of any reliable ID characters to distinguish RTH from CB, particularly in immature plumage when RTH doesn't have a red tail?
Time to post a link (to this thread or the newspaper article above) in the Bird Q and A subforum??
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 17:07   #12
SteveTS

Quote:
a number of escaped falconers' RTH floating around the country, so that still can't be completely excluded.
Most likely more than you think. There were 40 or so known escapes in Norfolk alone not so long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amym389 View Post
My name is Amy and I am a third-year student at Nottingham Trent University. I am studying for my BSc Wildlife Conservation degree
Good luck with your degree
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: