• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (64 Viewers)

Dave J reports Arctic Tern at the Sailing Pool at 6am before flying to the Flashes where it was briefly present before heading off north-west.

In addition to Tim's sightings Dave also reports at the Flashes 38 Avocet with 1 chick still (a new record count of adult Avocets), 5 LRP and Cuckoo.

Dave reports a further increase in Avocet numbers to 40 adults; would be interesting to know if there has been a corresponding drop at Slimbridge. Also 7 LR Plover briefly.

Dave J reports the following wader young at the Flashes:-

Single Avocet chick, 3 Oystercatcher chicks, 10 Lapwing chicks (1:2:3:4)

Great morning spent with Dave J. Thanks for the Artic Tern and all the knowledge passed on. 40 Avocets were amazing to see. Soon be outnumbering the lovely BHG. At the rate its going maybe next never. Interesting to watch a mallard female with 11 chicks going around the sluice gate. Was wondering whether they will end up in the sailing pool or even, as last years Tufted did, over on the moors?

I did query it; James advised it had a slightly upturned bill and was identified as a Barwit by several others. However his tweets have disappeared overnight.

Dave J reports this morning at the Flashes:

40 Avocet (+1 chick), 2 Black-tailed Godwit (1 circled 08.32-08.42 then flew east), 1 Dunlin, 2 Redshank, 4 LR Plover, 1 Teal.

Dave reports the following position with young birds at the Flashes this morning:

1 Avocet chick, 3 Oystercatcher chicks, 4 Lapwing broods with 10 chicks (1:2:3:4), Shoveler + ducklings - not seen by Dave but have been observed by others

From the Moors Pool Dave J reports:

Spotted Flycatcher (eastern end of the causeway / secret garden / horse chestnut area), 9+ Common Terns, 2 broods of Oystercatcher (2+3)

Last edited:
Absolutely "over the moon" about my visit today! A big first for me to see, not a Water Rail…….. but a Water Rail and her chick! This little one was not taking instruction too well, but eventually followed mom back into the undergrowth. :t:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/piedflycatcher/

Attachments

• 6P2A3149.jpg
    6P2A3149.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 6P2A3164.jpg
    6P2A3164.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 6P2A3160.jpg
    6P2A3160.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 92
  • 6P2A3109.jpg
    6P2A3109.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 145
Absolutely "over the moon" about my visit today! A big first for me to see, not a Water Rail…….. but a Water Rail and her chick! This little one was not taking instruction too well, but eventually followed mom back into the undergrowth. :t:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/piedflycatcher/

Think this is the first Water Rail chick seen this year Lee - was that taken on the causeway at the Moors Pool?

I know this is not Upton warren stuff but I know there kind and friendly people on here who could help me sitting in my garden this morning I came across a small light yellow butterfly no other colour about the same size of a Holly Blue looked on a few web sites and can't find any info so if someone could help I would be very grateful.

I know this is not Upton warren stuff but I know there kind and friendly people on here who could help me sitting in my garden this morning I came across a small light yellow butterfly no other colour about the same size of a Holly Blue looked on a few web sites and can't find any info so if someone could help I would be very grateful.

Speckled Yellow moth? About that size, day flying and butterfly like flight? Fairly common also.
No butterflies match that description

Users who are viewing this thread

Back