• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about Great Spotted Woodpeckers (1 Viewer)

joannec

Europe
We have had a male great spotted woodpecker regularly and frequently visiting our garden for well over a year. I am pretty sure it's the same one. We have never heard him drumming even though there are lots of suitable trees very close by and I often see him in them. There is no sign of a female and last year no young. My question is, knowing that the drumming attracts females, do they not breed in their first year, which could explain the lack of drumming? Or is he just unlucky in not finding a mate? With spring approaching, I keep hoping we'll start to hear drumming.
Joanne

would be very surprised if they didn't breed in their first year.

the GSW's around here always seem to pick the same trees to drum in spring, there are several Oaks with dead branches in the fields behind where I work which seem to be their favourite spot.

I do see them at home but they dont drum in my trees either, may just be that he is drumming, but not close by.

Richard W said:
would be very surprised if they didn't breed in their first year.

the GSW's around here always seem to pick the same trees to drum in spring, there are several Oaks with dead branches in the fields behind where I work which seem to be their favourite spot.

I do see them at home but they dont drum in my trees either, may just be that he is drumming, but not close by.

I believe it's possible to get them to drum trees by tapping a tree with a sizeable piece of wood, in such a way as to imitate another GSW. I saw the bald-headed bloke from Springwatch do it. Worked a treet. Dont let the neighbours see you though, they will think you are off your head!

Thanks for the advice and Paul, I will try hitting a tree with a piece of wood but it will take some practice tobe as fast as a drumming woodpecker. No doubt my children will really think Mum has gone over the top now!

i live on the edge of some mixed woodland,i get at least 3-4 pairs of gsps visitting my feeders every day,for the last couple of weeks i have heard them drumming on large beech tree nearby

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back