• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latin or English record keeping? (1 Viewer)

George London

Tonight I aim to start re-filing my bird pics (new computer, new beginnings!).

Currently I break down into country, then sub files For species in English: Warblers and Allies, Tits, Raptors, Ducks, Etc etc

Something tells me this is wrong, mainly because it goes from territory into species which feels illogical.

My inclination is to do away with the territorial designations and just go ahead following Pete Mella's sub-sectioning from the following thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=78471

This seems to me clean and logical (thanks Pete!). Does anyone disagree with this approach? Should there be a territorial filing system... Can this be integrated with species filing system? Should I use Latin names or English names? I don't have any strong views myself on who talks in whatever language all I am really concerned with is filing it all CORRECTLY. How would Mother Nature want me to do it? Would she agree with David Attenborough and Simon King? My gut feel is that Latin is probably correct and each subsection will flow most logically. My gut feel also is that Dave and Si wouldn't spend too much time worrying about my filing system, but Mother Nature may, so it's important for me to get this right!!

My current list of photos probably consists of 160 or so UK species and perhaps 100 non UK, from no one place in particular. Hopefully this list will continue to grow and grow.

I suspect some of this has been covered and have looked at some quite, Er, excited discussions on Latin vs English and apologise if I have missed any previous similar answered queries, just most of what I've found more revolves around using online templates to 'insert' sightings etc into.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks very much George

I'm not sure why you would want to file photos taxonomically. I file mine on the hard disc alphabetically by common name & then apply various tags in the Photoshop Elements organizer. I personally don't use geographical or taxonomic tags but they're easy enough to set up. Another advantage of the PE organizer (& similar programs) is that it enables searches by metadata (e.g. date) & file name as well as by tag.

But possibly I'm missing the point of your question. . . ?

Last edited:
I am using an organizer (just like Fugl) but in my case ACDSee. In that program I have available a hierarchial system of categories that can be applied to photos; I keep photos in folders by date (or if I don't take many, by the upload date for a period leading up to that date).

In my category system, I have a section for birds, subdivided into groups more or less by taxonomy (for example raptors), under this in subgroups (for example vultures, hawks, falcons), if needed another subgroup (e.g., buteos) and then the species (e.g., common buzzard). I have chosen to have my names in English because that was more memorable to me than scientific names. Because these groupings I use have to make sense to me, I placed new world and old world warblers next to each other even though they are not particularly closely related from a taxonomic standpoint.

Another category I have is locations, again in different groups (Caribbean/Each country/location) and each photo is assigned to one category in each of these. I can therefore select quite easily all Broad-winged Hawk photos I have, or select only those that were taking in Dominica.

(I also have other categories for family and other people, mammals, reptiles, and whatever else interests me).

If I want to change the system later, I can drag a subcategory from one group to another if I want to.

Hope these thoughts help you. (and yes, it sounds like I have a few more photos than you).

Niels

Thanks for your response Fugl...

Part of point is I want to know how birds are connected to each other... Learn how they fit together, like a huge family tree. I want to be able to compare bird pics from same groupings and see how much of that species range i have recorded (although admittedly i don't have a huge wealth of material but hopefully i have a few years in me yet!). I must admit though I can't say why I want to know, I just know I do and thought keeping files in this way would help.

The other part of the point is a base need to put things into order... again I can't explain motivation although I'm sure a shrink could probably tell me3:).

And much as I love and adore my Mrs I will always require a potting shed of sorts ;)

George

PS thanks also Niels v helpful

Last edited:
I have my photos divided into folders sorted by Family > Genus > Species. First I learn the name of the bird in Swedish and English, the latter name tends to stick after a while. By sorting the folders in Latin I get a reminder everytime I search through them, so they will be memorized after some time. This way I learn in three languages. I think it is a good idea to keep sorting in Latin, if you're interested in having the knowledge.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back