• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo Traveler series 2 for seabirds? (3 Viewers)

Ragnar B

Denmark
Hello,

I currently own a Swaro ATS 65 and recently acquired a Meopta S2. Both are fantastic scopes, but the tripod (Slik 733) and head (VA-5) does give some vibrations at high magnifications, especially on the S2 which goes up to x70. I suspect I am pushing the limits of the otherwise great tripod which has been serving me for years by moving from 65mm to 82mm.

As I also walk and take short hikes apart from local seabird watching, I would like something not too heavy, while keeping some decent stability. I've been looking at spending some extra € and moving into Gitzo territory. The GT2545T (maybe combined with a GHF2W head) caught my eye, by being same weight as my 733 with around 1,3 kg. However I'm curious if there's actually any stability gain by this purchase? Logic would dictate the stability would be around equal, especially considering my 733 is 3 sections while the Gitzo is 4. The tripod should also be able to handle some wind, which often follows by being near the sea.

Maybe someone on here has some experience with the Traveler and has something to share?

Regards,

Ragnar

I've also been pondering the same. My inexpensive Oben is not quite stable enough, at least anytime it's windy etc. Curious about the GT2545...

Hello,

I currently own a Swaro ATS 65 and recently acquired a Meopta S2. Both are fantastic scopes, but the tripod (Slik 733) and head (VA-5) does give some vibrations at high magnifications, especially on the S2 which goes up to x70. I suspect I am pushing the limits of the otherwise great tripod which has been serving me for years by moving from 65mm to 82mm.

As I also walk and take short hikes apart from local seabird watching, I would like something not too heavy, while keeping some decent stability. I've been looking at spending some extra € and moving into Gitzo territory. The GT2545T (maybe combined with a GHF2W head) caught my eye, by being same weight as my 733 with around 1,3 kg. However I'm curious if there's actually any stability gain by this purchase? Logic would dictate the stability would be around equal, especially considering my 733 is 3 sections while the Gitzo is 4. The tripod should also be able to handle some wind, which often follows by being near the sea.

Maybe someone on here has some experience with the Traveler and has something to share?

Regards,

Ragnar
We have the GT2545T and use a VA-5 head with it, and also have thicker/heavier carbon fiber and aluminum tripods mounted with the Manfrotto MVH500AH head.

We have a variety of scopes with different sizes of objective lenses: 60, 65, 80, 88 mm

After use in the field in lots of conditions our feeling is the GT2545T and VA-5 head work best for scopes up to 65mm. Scopes above that size benefit from well built heavier series 3 carbon fiber tripods like the Gitzo Mountaineer series or the Really Right Stuff Ultralight series; paired with a tripod head that is larger than the VA-5 and handles more weight.

We use the GT2545T, VA-5 head, and 60/65mm scopes mostly for hikes and really long walks. The 80/88mm scopes and heavier tripod setups are usually used for shorter walks and more stationary setups. Both setups are very stable, but we don’t try to mix and match them.

We have had no issue with stability of the four section GT2545T when using smaller scopes. And the whole tripod/scope setup is light weight and packs small.

Carbon fiber still shakes in the wind. Not putting too large a scope on too small a tripod/head helps, but even our large scopes on heavier tripods/heads shake in winds. To minimize shake/vibration during stong winds collapse the leg sections and sit on the ground.

I use a GT2545T with an ATX85 scope and a GHF2W head. I find this really good. My main use is for seawatching. It's obviously possible that there are more stable tripods that are heavier/ have fewer sections/ are made with different materials, but for its weight and portability, the GT2545T is really stable. I've compared it with a heavier tripod (A Benro Mach 3) and there wasn't any obvious difference in stability in windy conditions.

I use a GT2545T with an ATX85 scope and a GHF2W head. I find this really good. My main use is for seawatching. It's obviously possible that there are more stable tripods that are heavier/ have fewer sections/ are made with different materials, but for its weight and portability, the GT2545T is really stable. I've compared it with a heavier tripod (A Benro Mach 3) and there wasn't any obvious difference in stability in windy conditions.
Do you find the lack of full lock on the vertical and horizontal axis to be problematic? For example when studying birds at high magnification.

At least in the USA the customer support from Gitzo has disappeared completely. Design and quality control has also declined greatly in recent years. I still own a Gitzo 2531LVL that is very durable but I have returned my last 2-series and 3-series Gitzo tripods that arrived with defects and broken parts.

Highly recommend the Feisol tripods that are better built and cost $200 less and come with an excellent carry case (with Gitzo all I got was a thin fabric sleeve). The Feisol CT-3441S Traveler weighs 2.5 lb and has a working height of up to 70 inches and supports a load of up to 44 pounds. My wife uses this tripod on our travels and it is very compact for air travel with a collapsed length of 16.9 inches and very stable with the legs fully extended.

Feisol tripods have replaced Gitzo and RRS tripods and provide better build quality than the Gitzo and better value than RRS and I like not having to spend $100 on a good carry case as it is included by Feisol for every tripod.

At least in the USA the customer support from Gitzo has disappeared completely. Design and quality control has also declined greatly in recent years. I still own a Gitzo 2531LVL that is very durable but I have returned my last 2-series and 3-series Gitzo tripods that arrived with defects and broken parts.

Highly recommend the Feisol tripods that are better built and cost $200 less and come with an excellent carry case (with Gitzo all I got was a thin fabric sleeve). The Feisol CT-3441S Traveler weighs 2.5 lb and has a working height of up to 70 inches and supports a load of up to 44 pounds. My wife uses this tripod on our travels and it is very compact for air travel with a collapsed length of 16.9 inches and very stable with the legs fully extended.

Feisol tripods have replaced Gitzo and RRS tripods and provide better build quality than the Gitzo and better value than RRS and I like not having to spend $100 on a good carry case as it is included by Feisol for every tripod.
Sounds disappointing. Unfortunately I prefer European/Japanese brands, hence my reluctance to purchase Leofoto, Feisol etc. I bought my Slik and Siri at a very nice price I couldn't refuse, but this time I'm gonna try to stick with a Euro brand. If I end up with a Gitzo, I'll cross my fingers.

I agree with CMB's response. Especially regarding sitting down and shortening the legs to deal with wind. Heavier legs and head help, but reducing leg extension is better.

Recently purchased the 2545T and VA-5 for use with the Kowa 66A, but don't yet have much experience with that particular kit. My S2 and ATX85&95 support kits have been the 1st gen CF G1227 (3.5lbs) with either the GHF2W or Manfrotto 128RC head. Slik is a brand rarely discussed here on BF so I doubt you'll get any feedback on a direct comparison. I've been tempted to try it, but after experience with other less expensive brands I've decided to stick with Gitzo for the time being.

I've yet to find a good seawatch spot here in the midwest USA, but in lakeside use with stiff breezes it's not unusual for me to drape my arm over the scope to steady the view a bit.

BTW, I've just discovered that the VA-5's TY-70A plate fits the GHF2W head. This might be the best and least expensive plate for mounting the S2 to the GHF2W. Getting the right screw and bushing (if needed) could be tricky though. I had to sort through my collection to find the right combo. The TY-70A plate fits the S2 well with hardly any rotational movement. Alternatively you could might consider the S2 on a 128RC as it's foot fits directly into the plate socket.

I agree with CMB's response. Especially regarding sitting down and shortening the legs to deal with wind. Heavier legs and head help, but reducing leg extension is better.

Recently purchased the 2545T and VA-5 for use with the Kowa 66A, but don't yet have much experience with that particular kit. My S2 and ATX85&95 support kits have been the 1st gen CF G1227 (3.5lbs) with either the GHF2W or Manfrotto 128RC head. Slik is a brand rarely discussed here on BF so I doubt you'll get any feedback on a direct comparison. I've been tempted to try it, but after experience with other less expensive brands I've decided to stick with Gitzo for the time being.

I've yet to find a good seawatch spot here in the midwest USA, but in lakeside use with stiff breezes it's not unusual for me to drape my arm over the scope to steady the view a bit.

BTW, I've just discovered that the VA-5's TY-70A plate fits the GHF2W head. This might be the best and least expensive plate for mounting the S2 to the GHF2W. Getting the right screw and bushing (if needed) could be tricky though. I had to sort through my collection to find the right combo. The TY-70A plate fits the S2 well with hardly any rotational movement. Alternatively you could might consider the S2 on a 128RC as it's foot fits directly into the plate socket.
The old trusted 128rc did occur to me, as my S2 is supplied with the Manfrotto foot, rather than the AS on my ATS65. I just think something “newer” and perhaps smaller/lighter would be better.

Regarding wind, here in Scandinavia we are often struck by storms, especially from the Atlantic. If bad, I sit down and deploy the Slik tripod with feet at widest angle, while middle section is up high. If really bad, I’ll be honest and admit I prefer the chair back home indoors with a cup of tea, while contemplating the next birding session.

You mention having the Series 2 Traveler - from the experience you have, do you find its a good match with the S2?

Also neat discovery regarding the VA-5 plate. I did notice that the Gitzo lacked the anti rotational pin. Does it just fit out of the box without any modification? This would certainly swing me towards the Gitzo head, as I could use both scopes and switch between tripods when needed.

I've not used the S2-2545T combo. I purchased the 2545T for the 66A. Only had them for a month and haven't had a chance to get out and use it except for backyard birding. In the interest of furthering science perhaps I could give the combo go tomorrow. A nice donation via Paypal would serve as a good incentive! :)

The VA-5 plate fits right into the GHF2W without any issue. I did have to go through my collection of plate mounting screws and bushings to find ones that worked to mount the plate to the S2.

A great many European companies are having their high end equipment manufactured in Asia. What is important is the quality of the engineering and the quality control exercised. The larger companies have permanent staff at these factories to insure quality control as their brand value depends on it. There is also a difference in overall quality between products produced in China and those produced in Taiwan. Taiwan companies to compete with lower cost producers (often using slave labor) focus on higher quality designs and better quality control.

Shortly after the reunification of Germany the west German government funded businesses in what had been East Germany in order to provide employment for the people after the Soviet factories shutdown. A number were optics equipment manufacturers as this is a light industrial product from a manufacturing perspective.

People buy Gitzo without hesitation but the build quality and customer service have declined a great deal over the past 20 years. When a large company buys up a smaller one or a hedge fund takes control the money needed for the expected profits comes with reductions in personnel and it is the quality control and inspection people that are cut first. That is what has happened at Boeing with catastrophic results.

People buy Gitzo without hesitation but the build quality and customer service have declined a great deal over the past 20 years.
This is NOT my experience. I've got a number of Gitzo tripods, monopods and heads I bought over a span of almost 40 years. I don't find the build quality diminished over the years at all.

Hermann

[...] Shortly after the reunification of Germany the west German government funded businesses in what had been East Germany in order to provide employment for the people after the Soviet factories shutdown. A number were optics equipment manufacturers as this is a light industrial product from a manufacturing perspective.[...]
@Elkhornsun: Let me get some facts straight:
1. The West German Government did not "found businesses" in East Germany after reunification. They either sold "inherited" former state owned companies to new owners (often for little or almost no money) or closed them. As an example, the company I was with bought the maintenance devision of the east German ailrlines INTERFLUG. The operational part (the airline itself) was closed.
2. The industry in East Germny were not consisting of "Soviet factories" but was state owned ("VEB") by the German Democratic Republic (GDR=DDR). The uranium minig company "Wismut" may be one exception I can think of. It was (East-)German-Soviet owned until 1991.
3. The official 1981 Central Catalog (for Optical Instruments) - "Zentraler Artikelkatalog der Volkswirtschaft der DDR (ZAK)" only lists four optical firms in the former GDR: VEB ZEISS Jena, VEB Analytic Dresden, VEB Feingerätebau Dresden, and VEB Rathenower Optische Werke (ROW).
Regards,
Werner

Last edited:
So back to Gitzo...
The range is a little confusing and then there are older (obsolete) models when shopping used. So I'll ask:
For travel and hiking, and for use with a small travel scope (Kowa 553), what is the smallest, lightest Gitzo you would look at?

So back to Gitzo...
The range is a little confusing and then there are older (obsolete) models when shopping used. So I'll ask:
For travel and hiking, and for use with a small travel scope (Kowa 553), what is the smallest, lightest Gitzo you would look at?
For something sized like a Kowa 553, consider a monopod. If one wants the scope to be free standing then a Gitzo Series 1 Traveler.

Finding a small/light tripod head that is well built may be the bigger challenge for such a small scope on a tripod. I’ve tried one of the really small (micro) tripod heads that are frequently rebranded. While it is small, light, and moves fairly well; I don’t have much faith in the contact area (especially the locking clamp) for the “Arca Swiss” plate. With a scope as expensive as the 553, that was my concern.

But a monopod is light, easy to move directions without a head, and stabilizes the image. I’ve got an old aluminum Monostat monopod with the large swivel foot that articulates - similar to the foot on current Gitzo monopods. Makes a great setup with small scopes.

Last edited:
For something sized like a Kowa 553, consider a monopod. If one wants the scope to be free standing then a Gitzo Series 1 Traveler.

Finding a small/light tripod head that is well built may be the bigger challenge for such a small scope on a tripod. I’ve tried one of the really small (micro) tripod heads that are frequently rebranded. While it is small, light, and moves fairly well; I don’t have much faith in the contact area (especially the locking clamp) for the “Arca Swiss” plate. With a scope as expensive as the 553, that was my concern.

But a monopod is light, easy to move directions without a head, and stabilizes the image. I’ve got an old aluminum Monostat monopod with the large swivel foot that articulates - similar to the foot on current Gitzo monopods. Makes a great setup with small scopes.
I own a monopod and have never tried the scope on it... hmmm.
thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back