• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do the birds in your yard beg? (1 Viewer)

sunriseworkshop

There are several birds in my yard that seem to be very used to me. A couple of them even initiate contact with me when I go out. I'm wondering if they want me to feed them more, or if they are just curious. I've got one young chickadee that chirps when I go out and follows me around when I'm working in the yard. Has he figured out I'm the one with the birdseed? I know the chickadees are usually curious, but this one bird does it so much I have to wonder if he's begging. Do you have birds that do this? Thanks, Kate

We have Woodpigeons and Collared Doves that will sit on top of the birdtable and stare at the house until someone emerges with bird food. Rooks also hang around at times they know food is forthcoming.

I had a fledgling Carolina Chickadee in my yard this summer. I knelt to take it's picture and he jumped on my camera. Eagerly climbed on my hand. Just a friendly bird.

chickadee12.jpg

Usually pigeons are using in a line on the roof when Im filling up the feeders they do that next door as my neighbour feeds them too

I had a house finch at the feeder that sits there... for hours. It chases other birds away. My feeder is a window-feeder with one-way glass. One day, I hear "tap, tap, tap, tap" over and over.

I head back to see what's going on. The house finch was repeatedly knocking on the glass. This went on for a few minutes until I opened the feeder... the bird flew off, and I added more seed. Perhaps it was curiosity, but part of me likes to think it had run out of its favorite seeds and was trying to tell me to get a move on with refilling the feeder. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back