• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uniloc 1600 replacement (1 Viewer)

Leif

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've had a Uniloc 1600 tripod for about 8 years, but with the recent purchase of a Nikon D200 and 200mm macro lens I find that when the legs are extended it vibrates slightly. I'm using a Markins M10 head which should be more than stable enough. Can anyone recommend a stable tripod extending to at least 1.5m (without extending the centre column)? Ideally it should be not too heavy, as I might walk a mile or two with the kit, and versatile as I do a lot of macro photography in the field (fungi, plants, dragonflies).

I've considered the traditional Gitzos, but I'm not sure if they are versatile enough, and the Chinese copies look worth seeing. The Gitzo CF explorer is horrendously expensive, and I don't know if it is any more stable than the Uniloc.

Alternatively, does anyone have insights into how to reduce vibration on the 1600 (besides not extending the centre column).

The simplest and cheapest option is a Benbo 1 or Uniloc Major 1600, but are they more vibration resistant?

Thanks.

Leif

Leif said:
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've had a Uniloc 1600 tripod for about 8 years, but with the recent purchase of a Nikon D200 and 200mm macro lens I find that when the legs are extended it vibrates slightly. I'm using a Markins M10 head which should be more than stable enough. Can anyone recommend a stable tripod extending to at least 1.5m (without extending the centre column)? Ideally it should be not too heavy, as I might walk a mile or two with the kit, and versatile as I do a lot of macro photography in the field (fungi, plants, dragonflies).

I've considered the traditional Gitzos, but I'm not sure if they are versatile enough, and the Chinese copies look worth seeing. The Gitzo CF explorer is horrendously expensive, and I don't know if it is any more stable than the Uniloc.

Alternatively, does anyone have insights into how to reduce vibration on the 1600 (besides not extending the centre column).

The simplest and cheapest option is a Benbo 1 or Uniloc Major 1600, but are they more vibration resistant?

Thanks.

Leif

Leif,

I've used the Uniloc 1700 for more than 10 years, it is 3 kg with a maximum height of 174.5 cm. Your 1600 is 2.4 kg with a maximum height of 153 cm. Would this extra weight and height be substantial enough for your needs ?

The option's also include the Uniloc 1600 Major 3.8kg with a maximum height of 180cm. You probably know that Warehouse Express are currently doing some reasonable offers on the range - I am a big fan of Uniloc, and use mine for the same type of subjects as you, I use the 1700 as a great compromise between actual carrying weight and the all round performance.

Hope this helps.

Bill.

Thanks Bill. I think the 1700 is the same as the 1600 but a bit taller, hence the increased weight. So if the tubes are the same, then the stability will be similar. I think I need to try the 1600 again this weekend to make sure that it is not my technique that is at fault. I don't really fancy going to a heavier tripod as the one I have with head, camera and lens is enough to go walkabout with.

Leif

There has not exactly been a rush to pass on advice, but FWIW I will add that last weekend proved that the fault lay with my technique and not the tripod. I am the weakest link. Goodbye. 8-P

Leif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back