• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Kites (1 Viewer)

Hi June, for obvious reasons, I am not going to post on BF where the nests were.

Nr. 33 was from a nest of three chicks, all of them were doing well.

Nr. 34 was from a nest of two chicks.

Regarding the photos, they are of the parents, who hang around close to the garden, and sometimes perch in the trees in my garden too. They also use the dead tree next door to perch and feed.

I will email you.

Regards

Kite release - more pics

Here are two images of the Release, yesterday morning.
They are taken by Alan Mould, a Wildlife Artist.

His exhibition of Kite Paintings is on at Thornley Woods Centre, until mid-August, I think.

In the images we see Melanie, our new Education Officer and Julian Burnett, the Project Administrator with the kite emerging from the release pen, somewhere in the Derwent Valley.............

Attachments

• kiterelease1.jpg
    kiterelease1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 303
  • kiterelease2.jpg
    kiterelease2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 326
June Atkinson said:

His exhibition of Kite Paintings is on at Thornley Woods Centre, until mid-August, I think.

In the images we see Melanie, our new Education Officer and Julian Burnett, the Project Administrator with the kite emerging from the release pen, somewhere in the Derwent Valley.............

Isn't it great that released birds from one area that are successful can then be relocated to other suitable areas!!

Great to see! Red Kites are such lovely birds....I have to keep travelling over to the M40 areas...Stokenchurch etc on route for almost anywhere just to see them again!!
Mind you they do get about...and are being seen outside of the Chilterns ...down south (I expect these are just away days tho'!!)

Jos Stratford said:
Would have to teach the little kitelet to say hello first!
Is it just me but I think we better start the human Salty getting peoples name right, for some reason he is calling June - Ann. :-O ( or have I missread it)

Still great to see about all the little ones, as well as Salty the Kite how about, June and Helen as well. o:D

June Atkinson said:

another set of cracking shots June.............. ;)

Marmot said:
Is it just me but I think we better start the human Salty getting peoples name right, for some reason he is calling June - Ann. :-O ( or have I missread it)

Still great to see about all the little ones, as well as Salty the Kite how about, June and Helen as well. o:D

i will agree to that!!!

sorry about the name mishap earlier, i was having a blonde moment |:S| (no offence to blonde's by the way)

Kite Release Up-date

Information has come via one of our main tracking team............

28 kites in all have now been released with another six released on Thursday 21st July and two on Saturday, 23rd July.
So this makes 36 so far...................... :clap: :clap: :clap:

There is good news of Spark, the injured bird. from last year's batch ...I'll let you know as soon as I can. ;)

thanks for the update June. still aint seen any of the new birds yet, as i have been busy working:( keep us posted on developments please.

June - quick question. As the first batch of released kites may have their first breeding attempts next year, as far as I am aware, there are 18 of the initial 20 around, with a ratio of 15 males to 3 females.

Assuming breeding attempts do happen, was this lopsided ratio purely coincidence? - in an ideal world, there would be 3 local breeders, with a dozen females being attracted from Yorks/Scotland.

Steve

Quacker said:
June - quick question. As the first batch of released kites may have their first breeding attempts next year, as far as I am aware, there are 18 of the initial 20 around, with a ratio of 15 males to 3 females.

Assuming breeding attempts do happen, was this lopsided ratio purely coincidence? - in an ideal world, there would be 3 local breeders, with a dozen females being attracted from Yorks/Scotland.

Steve

Hi Steve
As i understand it the nestlings are not sexed when being removed from nests, so as far as the ratio is concerned its simply "pot luck".
SE

Ah! That could be it. I thought it was because they were so difficult to sex them as chicks - so it's down to chance which you get, but that there ratio of males to female is higher in any case amongst the Chiltern birds.

June Atkinson said:
Information has come via one of our main tracking team............

28 kites in all have now been released with another six released on Thursday 21st July and two on Saturday, 23rd July.
So this makes 36 so far...................... :clap: :clap: :clap:

There is good news of Spark, the injured bird. from last year's batch ...I'll let you know as soon as I can. ;)

Let me guess, more waiting....... :gn:

Sex of new chicks

IanF said:
Ah! That could be it. I thought it was because they were so difficult to sex them as chicks - so it's down to chance which you get, but that there ratio of males to female is higher in any case amongst the Chiltern birds.

The sex of the chicks cannot be established until they are with us, and have a blood test. This is carried out when the birds are processed before release.
There is a strong hope that this year we shall have a higher proportion of females.

It is possible, too, that our birds might interact with others from elsewhere.
Certainly birds with no identification have been seen in the region.
Of course we hope Ruby and Rufus will eventually set up home together next year and be our first parents.........but Ruby can be somewhat fickle!! :eat:

Kites - News up-date

I was at the Gateshead Flower Show today, and despite the awful weather and the bad ground conditions, we had a regular flow of people seeking to know about the Red Kite Project.
39 of this year's young have now been released. The last two will go one day this next week. It's hoped that Spark, the injured bird, will go with them. :clap:
Ken, one of the Trackers, reports that 7 of this year's birds are in the Barlow Burn area. Here, Barlow Fell and Sherburn Towers are still good places to catch sight of them. :clap:

Another week or two and we should see much more activity.
The good news is that of this year's 41 birds, at least 26 are females.......have to wait for final blood tests and then we'll know the total.
It is the aim to have more females, in the hope that they will breed not only with our local birds, but possibly with any from other areas. This would help to increase the gene pool, too. :clap:

4 August Up-date on kites

I have permission to post the following information: :news:

Northern Kites – Volunteers Update, Early August 2005

2005 Releases and Birds
The last of 2005’s 41 young birds will be released on 5th August, along with Spark (WT11), who, after a month in the London Zoo Veterinary hospital, is being given one last attempt at making it in the wild.

Supplementary feeding of this year’s young kites will continue for a few more days until the youngsters have “found their wings”. The provision of food has kept many of this year’s released birds in the Lower Derwent valley, but as they gain in confidence over the next couple of weeks or so, and get their bearings, they will be much more active in ranging and are likely to be seen foraging in outlying areas.

Of the 39 birds released so far this year, 37 are still in the ‘local’ area (i.e. the lower Derwent valley/Barlow Burn and immediate surrounds). Two of this year’s juveniles, WT23 and WT25, dispersed very quickly and had left the lower Derwent valley within a week. WT25 has not been tracked since (whereabouts unknown) but following a report of a kite being seen at North Bitchburn, near Howden-le-Wear in Weardale on the 1st August, radio-tracking (on 2nd) confirmed that this was WT23 - it was found a few miles to the west, near to McNeil Bottoms, to the northwest of Witton-le-Wear. The following morning it was at Hamsterley; the sixth bird that has been recorded in Teesdale.

2004 Birds: Updates
Some of last year’s kites continue to ‘come and go’ from the lower Derwent valley. There are three birds that look to be settled locally, WT6, WT9 & WT 19(Ruby). They appear to be playing “auntie” to groups of juvenile kites. WT9 appears to have been shepherding young kites over to the Barlow Burn and six to seven young birds have been tracked in that area over the last week.

WT 15 was last noted in the Lower Derwent Valley on 27th July. WT18 was noted at Snod’s Edge (Northumberland) at the top of the Derwent Valley on the 15th July, then later that day radio-tracked to Spennymoor, and heading south. He has subsequently been back to the Derwent valley. WT8 (Rufus) was observed with a juvenile (WT21 – the Winlaton Phoenix) at Hedley-on-the-Hill on the 13th July but then not radio-tracked again until the 2nd August, when he was in the Tyne Valley. His signal ‘disappeared’ and his exact location could not be determined, despite a drive up the valley as far as Haydon Bridge. WT3 & WT5 continue to ‘hang out’ together at Blackton Beck, Eggleston in Teesdale, and have been observed making foraging trips to the Stanhope area in Weardale.

Further a-field, Doug Simpson in Yorkshire has ‘got - or had’ two of our birds down there. WT16 has been in the Harewood area for a couple of weeks (after being over Rowlands Gill on the morning of this year’s first release, 8th July) and WT2, the famous wandering Scarlet, was there yesterday!

We are still getting unconfirmed reports of kites in Northumberland, which are probably (possibly?) of WT13 & WT14. The former seems to be in the northern central (Wooler?) area, the latter bird at various localities describing an arc, north of Newcastle City, between North Tyneside and Newcastle Airport.

Update prepared 4/8/2005 by Ken Sanderson & Alan Hart, with additional details from Keith Bowey and Doug Simpson

Keith also suggests "If people are going to Far Pasture to see kites , perhaps it would be worth emphasising that people should go to in to the hide at Far Pasture (keys available from Thornley Woodland Centre, £2 - contact number 01207 545427) if they are looking for kites as heavy vehicles (slurry tankers) regularly access the STW and consequently there are significant safety issues (especially with the tall hedges in that area)".

So, folks, I hope this gives you plenty of suggestions and information - happy kite-spotting!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Thanks June for that very comprehensive report. We are back to the ‘stop the car, look up, there’s a Kite’ mode of birding in the Derwent Valley at the moment (not that I’m complaining) It’s still every bit as exciting for me to see them in my old playground.
I drove back from Eggleston to Stanhope a while ago after dark, and the number of bunnies on the road was amazing, I would have needed a man with a red flag in front of the car to avoid hitting any, so I don’t think there will be a problem regarding food for the Tees/Wear Valley Kites.
Keep up the good work and pass on our thanks to those involved in the project, it's very much appreciated by all the locals.

Ray

exellent up-date June, glad to here there are at least a few birds from last year settled in the borough still.

Re: Red Kites in Gateshead

I read about the sewage works beside Far Pasture being a good spot for perched birds on gatesheadbirders so had a look in yesterday afternoon about 3pm, nothing doing at first then a Northumbria Water truck turned up and shortly after it drove through the gates, maybe it disturbed the birds, something did, 'cos one after another Kites started appearing in the sky above the trees until eventually (after half a dozen re-counts) there were fifteen wheeling above the compound, fantastic sight, never seen so many and most came right above my head, didn't need my bins, just marvelled at the spectacle.
All eventually disappeared below the tree-line but two perched openly in trees and one on the telephone wires.
Was just about to leave (3.15pm) when the same happened again, this time I counted twelve.
At least one of the birds was last year's, middle section of the tail feathers is missing in moult.

Kites up-date 25 August

NORTHERN KITES PROJECT UP-DATE 25 AUGUST 2005
:news:
Today another volunteer and I have been out tracking in four locations.
First at Far Pastures, then at 1.30pm, we moved into the Lintzford area, where we found signals at Lintz Hall Farm. We then moved up the valley, crossed the Derwent at Shotley Bridge and headed up to Cartaway Heads, where we picked up signals for two birds which haven't been located for some time. Our final stops were just east of Kiln Pit Hill and Whittonstall.

Here is the record for today: P= Perched F= Flying To be sure a bird is alive, one needs both perched and flying signals. A radio transmitter could still be active on a dead or injured bird.

Wing Tag 06 P Lintzford
Wing Tag 11 P Far Pastures
Wing Tag 19 P,F,F P at Lintzford, flying at Lintzford, and Lintz Hall Farm,
Wing Tag 28 F Lintz Hall Farm
Wing Tag 31 F Signals at Lintz Hall Farm, Kiln Pit Hill and Whittonstall
Wing Tag 36 P Far Pastures and Lintz Hall Farm
Wing Tag 37 F Lintz Hall Farm
Wing Tag 39 F,P Lintzford (Flying signal faint) Perched at Whittonstall
Wing Tag 40 F Cartaway Heads
Wing Tag 41 F Strong signal at Lintzford. Also at Lintz Hall Farm
Wing Tag 43 P,F,P P at Lintzford, flying at Lintz Hall Farm, P at Kiln Pit Hill
Wing Tag 45 F,F,F, Located at Far Pastures, Cartaway Heads, Whittonstall
Wing Tag 46 P Lintzford
Wing Tag 48 F,P Flying at Kiln Pit Hill, perched at Whittonstall.
Wing Tag 50 F,F At both Lintz Hall Farm and Whittonstall
Wing Tag 52 F Weak signal at Far Pastures, stronger at Lintzford
Wing Tag 53 F,F Whittonstall
Wing Tag 55 F A faint signal at Kiln Pit Hill
Wing Tag 57 F Located at Lintzford
Wing Tag 59 F Cartaway Heads
Wing Tag 78 P At Far Pastures

10 of the birds located today were females. :D :D :D

So they do seem to be ranging further afield this year than last year. The weather was good with cumulus 70%, a SW wind 2-3 and temperature of 18 degrees Celsius.

June and Andy NK Volunteers

Last edited:
Thanks for the update June.

I was up that way last Sunday the first trip to see the new birds this year and saw nine birds in Barlow Burn including No 54 which was the only tag I could read which was sat behing Ricklees Farm between High Spen and Greenside.

Three more were over Far Pasture/ Gibside Hall.

Attachments

• DSCN8709bb.JPG
    DSCN8709bb.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 235
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back