• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Kites (1 Viewer)

RSPB N.E.Volunteers see Red Kites at Barlow

salty said:
cheers mouldy B :)

:news:
We had about 100 RSPB Volunteers at the Marriott Hotel, Metro Centre, today for a Conference and also guided walks to see the kites.
We had two coaches to Barlow, then the groups took different routes, eventually meeting back at the Sherburn Towers Bus Stop or Greenside (?).
Happily it was a fine morning and the kites had decided to get up and fly, so we had some good sightings. We also saw kestrel, buzzards, sparrowhawk and a weasel!
Several of us from Birdforum were there......good to meet up!!
We were also very happy to meet folk from Yorkshire, some of whom have knowledge of the Harewood House Red Kite Project. Other people were from the Bempton Reserve and Cumbria.All in all, an excellent day:clap: :clap: :clap:

Not really any major news, just wanted to get the thread back on the first page.

Nothing doing at Far Pasture today but 6-7 Kites were showing well from the Derwent Walk overlooking Gibside about 4pm.

Have (hopefully) attached some jpegs of some of my Red Kite series of paintings for anyone interested to have a look at, a couple are still on display at Thornley Woodlands Centre until the weekend at least. Comments welcome! :flyaway:

Attachments

• Red Kite Perched II.jpg
    Red Kite Perched II.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 208
  • Liberty.jpg
    Liberty.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 223
  • Freedom of the Skies.jpg
    Freedom of the Skies.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 214
  • High as a Kite.jpg
    High as a Kite.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 210
Up-date on Kite activity

The following has been given by Keith Bowey, Project Manager of the Northern Kites

:news:
Summary of Activity at 27th September 2005:

Monitoring of birds, into late September, has revealed a small-scale dispersal of some of this year’s birds. Nonetheless, a large number of kites can still be noted in the Derwent valley and the Barlow Burn areas.
At least six of 2004’s birds are still regularly present in Gateshead; others remain in Teesdale and in the Tyne valley. At least 40 birds were in west Gateshead on 23rd September. This comprised six of 2004’s birds and 34 of 2005’s kites. These include WT3, WT6, WT9, WT15, WT16 and WT19. WT8 has been in the Tyne valley (around Stocksfield?) whilst the whereabouts of the other birds is ‘unknown’.

In mid-September, birds have been reported near the A69, 10 miles west of Newcastle, to the west of Heddon-on-the-Hill and further west again, near the confluence of the Allan. There have been reliable reports of kites spotted near Penshaw, at Herrington Country Park, near the A19. There was also a report of a bird over Durham Wildlife Trust's Rainton Meadows Reserve, possibly the same bird as spotted near Penshaw. This was later identified as WT47, which has subsequently re-appeared in Gateshead.

On 23rd September, six kites were observed following the plough in a field off Ash Tee Lane, near Thornley Bank Kennels.

Bird Details: WT2 (Scarlet) - As of 26th September, she was still in Yorkshire.

WT3 - In Teesdale since late May, on 8th September, after his ‘holiday’, he was observed ‘leaving’ Teesdale, at 1130hrs. At 1240hrs, he was located at High Spen. He covered more than 35 miles in just over an hour (perhaps less?).

WT5 - On 23rd, he was at Kinninvie, near Barnard Castle. He has now been in Teesdale for close to a year.

The 2005 Birds:
General summary - Of the 41 young birds released so far this year, 34 are still in the ‘local’ area (i.e. the lower Derwent valley/Barlow Burn and immediate surrounds). On 23rd September, all of 2005’s birds were tracked locally (or their whereabouts known) excepting WT25, WT26, WT30, WT48 & WT49.
WT25 has still not been tracked since 12th July (whereabouts currently unknown).

WT23 - still in Teesdale, with WT5.
WT47 - On 23rd September, was noted in the Lower Derwent Valley. The previous Wednesday it had been at Rainton Meadows (nr. Houghton-le-Spring) and Chester-le-Street.

WT57 - After visits to the Willington/Crook area, this bird is now at Bollihope.

:t: :t: :t:

Northern Kites' Project - News Up-date

:news: :news: :news:
Northern Kites ~ Partner Update

Late September 2005

Summary of Activity at 27th September 2005:
Forty-one kites were released in summer 2005 (the first on 8th July the last on 5th August). This is the largest number released in any single year of a UK re-introduction project. :clap: :clap: :clap:

A Forward Look – What’s Happening Over the Next Few Weeks at Northern Kites

The Project is delivering many presentations to various community groups around the region this autumn.

The Northern Kites’ Adopt-a-Kite scheme is being ‘rolled out’ to ensure this year’s kites are all adopted by schools. Gateshead schools are being given priority but a number of strategically chosen schools will be targeted for the adoption of some of the birds.

Selected Details of Recent Northern Kites Activity:
On 7th/8th September, the Project received its second visit from foreign visitors, a party of two Dutch tourists, who spent a day with the Project.

The Northern Kites’ website has been extensively updated, with details of what 2004’s birds have been up to since their release www.northernkites.org.uk

A two-page colour spread about the Project appeared in the most recent issue of the BBC Wildlife Magazine.

A Master of Science student, working out of University of Newcastle, has submitted her dissertation on the kites and the Project will have a copy of this on file in due course.
After his Ministerial visit on 4th July, Jim Knight MP (Minister for Rural Affairs and Biodiversity) subsequently highlighted the Northern Kites Project during his radio diaries for Radio Five Live.

On 17th September, over 100 RSPB volunteers from across Northern England attended the 2005 RSPB Volunteers’ Conference at the Gateshead Marriott Hotel. One of the main themes of the conference was Northern Kites. There were presentations by the Project Manager and NK Volunteer, Sylvia Jones, as well as a field trip to see kites (four guided walks were led by members of the NK volunteers' team). All attendees enjoyed fantastic displays of kites (nobody saw less than nine kites, and some as many as 20).

Viewing Kites Summer 2005:The core area for seeing Northern Kites is located roughly eleven kilometres west south west of Gateshead Civic Centre. Twenty kites were released in this area in 2004 and 41 in 2005. At present, kites are most easily seen between Burnopfield and Rowlands Gill, and from there, across Barlow Fell to Barlow and Winlaton. Birds are noted on a daily basis over Rowlands Gill and the Gibside Estate, and are frequently over Barlow Fell and in the Barlow Burn (the main 2004/05 wintering location for birds).

The Barlow Burn is a small valley running parallel to the Derwent valley, about 2.5 km from Blaydon (approximately 5.5 km from the Gateshead MetroCentre). Barlow village is located roughly equidistant between Blaydon and High Spen.

One of the best stop-off points to see kites in this area remains the Black Horse public house car park, at Barlow village (NZ156609). This location gives a good overview of the area. Drive to the back of the car park and scan west and northwest (towards Greenside village).

Birds can often be seen over Barlow Fell (between Barlow village and Rowlands Gill) and on the eastern side of the Fell, into the Derwent valley. The Thornley Bank Kennels and Hollin Hill Lane (close to Rowlands Gill) are usually well favoured by birds.

The Derwent Walk Country Park. The park centre, Thornley Woodlands Centre (Tel. 01207 545427) off the A694, just before Rowlands Gill, has up-to-date information about where kites can be seen, and a number of excellent locations for seeing kites in its more than 500 acres.

The Gibside Estate is also excellent for seeing kites. Gibside can be accessed from Burnopfield Bank, between the A692 and A694 (Burnopfield and Rowlands Gill). Fellside Road, between Burnopfield and Whickham also frequently attracts birds.

How to Get There?From Central Gateshead – head west on the A184, join the A1 west, past the Gateshead MetroCentre, then take either of the next two turn-offs, the first for Swalwell, or the second for Blaydon (follow the signs for the A694, signposted for Consett). Head south along the A694 for approximately 3.5 km, into Rowlands Gill. From here, keep an eye open for kites overhead.

For Barlow Fell and Barlow village, turn right up Hollin Hill Lane (this is a small, winding country lane, signposted for Thornley Nursery and Thornley Bank Kennels). Once at the top of the hill, turn left at Ashtree Lane and then right on to Barlow Fell Road to get to the village (c.1.5km). Turn right into the village for the Black Horse pub, which opens at 3 pm on Saturdays.

Northern Kites Contact Details:
Northern Kites, Office Suite 3b, 33 St Mary’s Green, Front Street, Whickham, Tyne & Wear, NE16 4DN Tel. 0191 496 1555 www.northernkites.org.uk

Keith Bowey (Northern Kites, Project Manager) – 27th September 2005

:t: :t: :t:

Last edited:
Thanks for the update June

There was also a report of a bird over Durham Wildlife Trust's Rainton Meadows Reserve, possibly the same bird as spotted near Penshaw. This was later identified as WT47

This bird must have flown over my house....
...next time maybe...
SE

More excellent stuff from June,

A bit of Kite activity from Rowlands Gill as I've been going about my business today:

3 birds drifted over the house at various times this morning from the direction of Sherburn Towers towards Gibside.

Took the bairn to the shops via Sherburn Towers this afternoon, stopped off to scan the farmland which has been quite productive lately. Had 3 Kites, Sparrowhawk and Kestrel in 10-15 mins.

On the way back from the shops (about 4pm) scanned Gibside from Derwent Park junction, up to 6 Kites distant, possibly same Sparrowhawk appeared twice, mobbed by Jackdaws both times.

It's great having so many around at the moment, long may it last.

mouldy, i have noticed the increase of sparrowhawks this year!

there are lots of new birds around, on monday i had 2 different birds within 10mins at winlaton, then a 3rd later on. most areas will produce sparrowhawk before kestrel!

plenty in and around the far pasture area when i have been observing the kites too.

salty said:
mouldy, i have noticed the increase of sparrowhawks this year!

there are lots of new birds around, on monday i had 2 different birds within 10mins at winlaton, then a 3rd later on. most areas will produce sparrowhawk before kestrel!

plenty in and around the far pasture area when i have been observing the kites too.

Aye Salty, don't know if it's just the same birds all the time but it's a poor day if you don't get Sparrowhawk somewhere in the valley when out birding, yet apart from around Far Pasture I can't think of another regular spot for Kestrel.
Have had a few interesting encounters with Sparrowhawk though, a big female trying to take a pheasant at Thornley Hide was a classic, but most privileged view I've had was on my back lawn when a male took one of my wintering Siskins I had the gory pleasure of watching it be reduced to a pile of feathers. (See Pic). :flyaway:

Attachments

• sparrahawk.JPG
    sparrahawk.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 270
Leonard and I went to Barlow today and saw up to 8 kites at various times and places. Six together was the highest count at Barlow Village. One kite was continuously accompanied by corvids.

Our most interesting sighting occurred on our way home. Just as I was entering the Western By-Pass near the Swalwell filter-in going north, I looked up and there was a single kite flying effortlessly above the Derwenthaugh "Depot" area.

An interesting sighting and one which might indicate that the dispersal is moving in all directions!

June Atkinson said:
Leonard and I went to Barlow today and saw up to 8 kites at various times and places. Six together was the highest count at Barlow Village. One kite was continuously accompanied by corvids.

Our most interesting sighting occurred on our way home. Just as I was entering the Western By-Pass near the Swalwell filter-in going north, I looked up and there was a single kite flying effortlessly above the Derwenthaugh "Depot" area.

An interesting sighting and one which might indicate that the dispersal is moving in all directions!

It sounds like it's a dangerous occupation watching these kites June ;)

Ray

Up-date on Kites' whereabouts

rayl said:
It sounds like it's a dangerous occupation watching these kites June ;)

Ray

Here is the most recent news from Keith Bowey, Project Manager

At present (10th October) there are still forty kites in west Gateshead (at least 34, 2005 birds and five to six 2004 birds). :D Three birds are in Teesdale (WT5, 23 & 57 - two 2005 females and the 2004 male). These birds are along WT5's usual beat, between Kininvie and Eggleston (Blackton Beck). One of best place to see the birds at present is at the top of Holln Hill Lane, Rowlands Gill, next to Thornley Bank Kennels (KB saw 16 here last Thursday - two buzzards with them). Barlow Burn still very good for birds and birds are regularly seen over R.Gill (look out around Sherburn Towers Estate!). Scarlet (WT2) is still in Yorkshire with Doug's birds.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Was there today did Thornley woods, Far pastures, and Barlow area saw nothing, might have been the weather which was poor

cuddy said:
Was there today did Thornley woods, Far pastures, and Barlow area saw nothing, might have been the weather which was poor

yep, they dont tend to like the dodgy weather mate.

im between two jobs at the moment, one just up from far pastures and the other just up from thornley woodlands, so im in heaven bird wise, but today has been the first time in ages when i aint had a single kite - so you werent alone Brian!

cuddy said:

There were a couple over Rowlands Gill before the weather closed in on Tuesday but only briefly, on Monday had one from Thornley Hide which was a first for me (a flyover, not on the feeders unfortunately) then drew a blank at Far Pasture but had a great view of one from the Derwent Walk, hanging in the air quite low directly overhead, munching on what looked like the remains of a female pheasant, no doubt a roadkill. It just hung on the spot for ages while eating on the wing till another Kite came along and it flew off (mustn't have wanted to share)
Great view though I ended up with a stiff neck. :flyaway:

Northern Kites' Project Up-date 18 October 2005

JoeyB said:
I think this shows that we are so lucky that this project has been such a success for the area.
Here is the latest information provided by Keith Bowey, NK Project Manager.
As you'll see, there's a lot of exciting news!!
:news: :news: :news:

Northern Kites Update

During the last week there have been 34 to 40 kites tracked around the west of Gateshead. There are still three birds in Teesdale (WT5, WT23 and WT57), these are spending their time between Kinninvie and Eggleston (to the west and northwest of Barnard Castle). There have been no confirmed recent reports from anywhere else in the region (where are our 'missing' birds?). As far as we know, Scarlet is still in Yorkshire.

On Monday 17th October, Ken (Sanderson) undertook a monitoring exercise on the local roosts. Results below.

Summary of roost monitoring: Monday 17th October.
39 kites were tracked at roost; 34 of these were 2005 birds and five were last year's birds i.e. WT3, WT6, WT15, WT16 & WT19. No signal was received for WT9 (though this bird may be present locally, as its radio transmitter has been faulty since May 2005).

There were 32 kites roosting at Sherburn Towers, which is obviously now the main roost. This included all five of the 2004 birds.

Three kites also roosted in the Lochaugh area, WT29, WT38, & WT53 (two females and a male).
Only 2 kites roosted in the Barlow Burn, at Reeley Mires Wood (WT34 & WT60). Both of theses are females. WT 34 was foraging towards High Spen earlier in the day when WT60 was observed foraging at the SITA site with WT47. WT47 roosted at Sherburn Towers.

Two juveniles roosted near Low Spen Farm, sufficiently apart from the main roost to call it separate. They were WT28 and WT35, both females.

Over the last month it would appear that the main roost has shifted from the Barlow Burn area into the Derwent valley. On 16th September, 22 kites in the Barlow Burn, two weeks later this has fallen to 13.

It would seem likely that the best and most spectacular place to see numbers of kites will be late in the afternoon, from the Sherburn Towers' bus-turning circle, in the housing estate at Rowlands Gill (at NZ163592), as it was late last winter.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

So, if you do see any of the kites, and can identify them by their wing tags, it is very important to send such sightings to the NK Office 0191 496 1555.
Your co-operation is sought and will be very welcome. Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back