• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Painted Lady migration (3 Viewers)

re: Painted Ladies

Today 02/07/2009 there was a steady influx coming in at the river nene outfall into the wash ( south lincs ). I was doing a bit of birding there and from around 16:00 they were arriving in threes and fours quite regularly. Some looked pretty raggedy and I saw around 30 in total. I'm no butterfly expert so these may not have been fresh migrants at all, just ones that were already over here and blown along the coast from further around towards norfolk.

After a quiet period for Painted Ladies around these parts, some beautiful, fresh, new generation indivduals are starting to appear. The attached was in my garden earlier today.

Attachments

• DSC_6159.jpg
    DSC_6159.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 57
Second wave of Painted Ladies appeared to come to Iceland at the beginning of July. I saw two locally on Sunday. Didn't see any in Greenland by the way.

After only seeing singletons in recent weeks, last weekend was good with dozens along the Dorset coast (Swanage & Portland), and a few inland during rather adverse conditions (Martin Down).
In the last days, increasing numbers passing through Harlow during the little time I spent outside. I assume these are the progeny of the “big wave”?

Two Painted ladies in the garden briefly yesterday.Going to pay a visit to Mapperley reservoir tomorrow so with the varied habitat on offer i'll be hoping for a good few butterfly species.

Dave.

Finally getting them in the garden! Feeding on the Hyssop we've grown specially for butterflies/bees - its been a great success.

Saw 6 Painted ladies at Mapperley reservoir today and they were beautiful specimens.

Dave.

DSCF2128.jpg

Painted Lady.

Well over 30 fresh individuals lazily nectaring today on knapweeds, etc in the Greenford CP. Also 1, possibly 2 Clouded Yellows, lots of Large Whites + Common Blues + several Silver-Ys.

I assume these are the progeny of the “big wave”?

Quite a number at different locations in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. They all seem to be in pristine conditions and I was thinking that they were the offspring of the invaders but has there been time for this to happen - I don't know.

There is certainly an increase in numbers of Painted Ladies to my garden. I saw at least 10 this afternoon in the garden most were in perfect condition just one or two tatty ones.There could be loads around in the next few weeks depending on weather.

There is certainly an increase in numbers of Painted Ladies to my garden. I saw at least 10 this afternoon in the garden most were in perfect condition just one or two tatty ones.There could be loads around in the next few weeks depending on weather.

This weekend saw a massive increase in numbers out here too - really tatty ones a week ago, but now loads of right smart new individuals. Never had the mass movements recorded in the UK, etc, but yesterday had about 60 to 70 in one small area, the best single locality total I have had during the season. Hoping for more, plus the first Pale Clouded Yellows of the season.

Also my first Silver-spotted Skipper in Lithuania, my 69th species this year locally.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back