• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Painted Lady migration (4 Viewers)

I've seen some variation in size with the recent brood of Painted Ladies but one on the coast on Sunday was extraordinarily small. The photos below show it in comparison with a (relatively small) Peacock as well as with the Ragwort flowers it was feeding on.
Hi Stuart i saw 2 very small ones in the garden yesterday they were the size of a Small Tortoiseshell.

Hi Stuart i saw 2 very small ones in the garden yesterday they were the size of a Small Tortoiseshell.

Individuals the size of Small Tortoiseshell aren't that unusual in my experience. The one I saw on Sunday was noticeably smaller than that. The closest comparison would be a smallish Gatekeeper, albeit with longer wings.

Quite good numbers out here again yesterday, a steady trickle past near constantly, but dwarfed by a massive arrival of Pale Clouded Yellows, many many dozens flitting across the meadows at any one time.

A few at Cley yesterday; also good to see a fair number of Small Tortoiseshells which have been few around my part of London for a few years now.

Last edited:
Yesterday morning there were 9 along a short length of the coastal footpath just north of Peel here in the Isle of Man. One had very worn wings, but the rest were fresh looking insects. They fed on the flowers of hardhead, as I've seen several other times in recent weeks.
Allen

A couple today with a Comma + some Large Whites on the flowers of Verbena bonariensis at Kew. This plant can be a good insect magnet.

Painted Lady in Bulgaria

just thought you might like to see this beautiful painted lady we saw whilst on holiday in Bulgaria last week...i think youll agree she was stunning

Attachments

• 115.JPG
    115.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 91
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back