Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Maven B2 disassembled (172 parts) see picture.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sunday 14th July 2019, 18:15   #1
zzzzzz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aurora
Posts: 242
Maven B2 disassembled (172 parts) see picture.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...rt-binoculars/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-07-14-14-20-35.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	699675  

Last edited by zzzzzz : Sunday 14th July 2019 at 18:21.
zzzzzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 14th July 2019, 19:10   #2
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,575
Seems like a real push for Maven, I wonder how they will be doing in a few years, that will be an interesting story.

Andy W.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 14th July 2019, 20:12   #3
Steve C
Registered User
 
Steve C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon
Posts: 3,568
While it is interesting to see all the parts laid out like that, the rest of that is pretty worthless. if you are going to the effort of disassembly, then some comments on how easily it came apart, how well it was assembled originally, and how well it went back together, and how easily repairable it might be are worth much more than the entire article.

Personally I'd like to know about that.

But maybe they didn't really take it apart. Could be they thought this was an innovative new way to do a review.
__________________
Steve

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.
Steve C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 15th July 2019, 14:35   #4
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 9,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post

But maybe they didn't really take it apart. Could be they thought this was an innovative new way to do a review.
Steve,
Remember that video of a Zeiss Conquest being run over by an SUV and then shot with a shotgun, and the Conquest didn't blink? Maybe they tried that with the Maven and the photo is the result......


Lee
Just my sense of humour, folks.
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 16:01   #5
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
While it is interesting to see all the parts laid out like that, the rest of that is pretty worthless. if you are going to the effort of disassembly, then some comments on how easily it came apart, how well it was assembled originally, and how well it went back together, and how easily repairable it might be are worth much more than the entire article.

Personally I'd like to know about that.

But maybe they didn't really take it apart. Could be they thought this was an innovative new way to do a review.
Steve, dismantling = 2hrs 25mins ...... seems involved - I wonder whether that was with or without the Kamakura instructions ...... ?




Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 16th July 2019, 03:27   #6
Steve C
Registered User
 
Steve C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon
Posts: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Steve, dismantling = 2hrs 25mins ...... seems involved - I wonder whether that was with or without the Kamakura instructions ...... ?
Chosun
I think that is just a manufacturers schematic they got from somewhere. if they really did take it apart I wonder if they could put it back together, or if they put the parts in a shoebox and sent it back?

Lee,

I once asked Maven if they had plans to do the Conquest test protocol. They saud no, but said that if I wanted to do it, and broke the binocular, they'd replace it under warranty.
__________________
Steve

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.
Steve C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 16th July 2019, 03:52   #7
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,865
Arrow

Steve ,

Bill would be the man to answer all of your questions.

I would think reassembly would need some jigs and collimation alignment and checks, even if they dismantled quite meticulously by making matching markings on thread positions etc. I doubt it would go back exactly the same, but being made for manufacture, it would have to go somewhere near it within a range. No small skills would be needed to narrow that gap.

The parts in a shoebox (or wonkily assembled bin that won't perform) would have to be high chances.

It would be interesting to know if it is just a manufacturer's exploded parts schematic, or whether someone has actually had a crack ......



Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Tuesday 16th July 2019 at 03:55.
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 16th July 2019, 15:00   #8
Binastro
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.England
Posts: 4,457
See Action Optics, Southampton, home page.

Tasco 8x21.

Only just over 50 parts shown.
Maybe could be further disassembled?

B.

Last edited by Binastro : Tuesday 16th July 2019 at 15:02.
Binastro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 16th July 2019, 16:52   #9
Steve C
Registered User
 
Steve C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon
Posts: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Steve ,

Bill would be the man to answer all of your questions.

I would think reassembly would need some jigs and collimation alignment and checks, even if they dismantled quite meticulously by making matching markings on thread positions etc. I doubt it would go back exactly the same, but being made for manufacture, it would have to go somewhere near it within a range. No small skills would be needed to narrow that gap.

The parts in a shoebox (or wonkily assembled bin that won't perform) would have to be high chances.

It would be interesting to know if it is just a manufacturer's exploded parts schematic, or whether someone has actually had a crack ......



Chosun
Putting it back together might not be so tough. But you are correct in saying that putting it back together correctly is another matter entirely.

I once received a porro binocular I bought online from a thrift store. When I got it, the binocular rattled like a coffee can full of nuts and bolts. Most of the parts came out in a jumbled pile. It was not worth the cost to ship it back, so I had a go at it myself. Got it puzzled out and back together. Bill would likely call it triple conditionally aligned, but it works.

My guess is a manufacturers schematic, but just that...a guess.
__________________
Steve

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.
Steve C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 19th July 2019, 07:56   #10
richard866945
Bino repair man

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hythe, Southampton
Posts: 166
dismantled 8x21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
See Action Optics, Southampton, home page.

Tasco 8x21.

Only just over 50 parts shown.
Maybe could be further disassembled?

B.
Hi Binastro. The only bits that could be further broken down are the prism assemblies. I did not take the prisms out of their cages as they are glued in with epoxy resin. That Tasco probably took about 15 minutes to take apart and about 20 mins to reassembly incl proper collimation.
I would be worried that I was loosing my touch if I took two hours and a half to take a binocular to pieces.
Also that Maven does not have gears in the focus assembly.

Last edited by richard866945 : Friday 19th July 2019 at 08:01. Reason: incorrect information and extra comment.
richard866945 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 19th July 2019, 13:27   #11
Binastro
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.England
Posts: 4,457
Hi Richard,
Which binocular has the greatest number of parts?

I took apart a high quality aero lens for cleaning.
What I didn't know is that it had perhaps a hundred tiny ball bearings in it. They fell out everywhere.
It was a write off for me, but it didn't cost much.

B.
Binastro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 24th July 2019, 17:04   #12
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,575
Looking at the photo it looks like o-rings, plenty of o-rings. No ball bearings these days.

Andy W.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maven dries1 Binoculars 7 Sunday 8th April 2018 06:29
Maven B4 Racuuna Binoculars 1 Sunday 26th March 2017 17:56
New Maven B2 7x45? Trogon4323 Binoculars 13 Friday 12th February 2016 18:41

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.17988300 seconds with 27 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:50.