• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

S America bird book reccomendation (1 Viewer)

Hatman

UK Bird guide
I am going to Costa Rica, Panama city and southern Brazil and want to get the best field guides possible to help with ID'ing. I am thinking I would like to use seperate books so i can find bird quickly while I am birdwatching. so far I am looking at.....

Guide to the Birds of Costa Rica (Helm Field Guides) (Paperback)
by F.Gary Stiles (Author), et al.

A Guide to the Birds of Panama: With Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Honduras
by Robert S. Ridgely (Author), John A. Gwynne (Author)

A Field Guide to the Birds of Brazil (THIS IS NOT RELEASED YET)
by Ber van Perlo (Author)

Can someone please advise me before I spend all my money?

I am going to Costa Rica, Panama city and southern Brazil and want to get the best field guides possible to help with ID'ing. I am thinking I would like to use seperate books so i can find bird quickly while I am birdwatching. so far I am looking at.....

Guide to the Birds of Costa Rica (Helm Field Guides) (Paperback)
by F.Gary Stiles (Author), et al.

A Guide to the Birds of Panama: With Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Honduras
by Robert S. Ridgely (Author), John A. Gwynne (Author)

A Field Guide to the Birds of Brazil (THIS IS NOT RELEASED YET)
by Ber van Perlo (Author)

Can someone please advise me before I spend all my money?

The Ber van Perlo guide to Brazil is actually out now and can be bought from NHBS (I got my copy yesterday). It's the best book for that area.

I'm not sure about the other (non-South American!) areas you mention though.

I highly recommend "The Birds of Costa Rica " by Garrigues and Dean for Costa Rica. Very updated info , good plates and info .It is also small enough to tote around on hikes.

The Ridgely guide to the Birds of Panama I believe is still the best for that country.
The Costa Rica book by Stiles and Skutch is good but larger and somewhat dated. I haven't seen the book mentioned by Stephen but have also heard it is good.

I can confirm that the birds in both those countries are great!

I highly recommend "The Birds of Costa Rica " by Garrigues and Dean for Costa Rica. Very updated info , good plates and info .It is also small enough to tote around on hikes.

I wholeheartedly agree. It's small enough to make taking 3 books feasible. If you don't plan on birding the dry, northwestern areas of Costa Rica though, you will do fine with just bringing the Panama book (and the Brazilian one).

Even though it's not your destination - The Ecuador guide is often found quite cheap and is great to have around the house ---- in the collection.

I fully agree with the others on the Garrigues and Dean guide for Costa Rica. I have both guides but only used the Garrigues guide in the field, but I did sometimes use the Stiles guide in the evenings for more detailed habitat and behavior info. I feel that the paintings in Garrigues and Dean are much better than those in Stiles, and having the range maps on the same page was really helpful to me.

I actually just ordered the Ber van Perlo guide to Brazil- so I'll soon know more about it.

Is it all one trip? Might not hurt to bring a book of Mexico and Central America. I forget the title, but a sort of generalist book. You will see see some wintering N American birds as well. They should be in any guide. I just like to circle them as familiar ones.
This is the one I have..not the best for any of that..but very slim volume, lots of pics crammed in plates
http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-B...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257533156&sr=1-3

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back