• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambodian Laughing Thrush (1 Viewer)

Grey101

Trip to Mount Aura in January for Laughing Thrush, Chestnut-headed Partridge etc plus Cambodian Tailorbird and Chinese Grassbird. 5 days with 2 nights on the mountain. Jan 17 if interested. Let me know if you want more details

Laugher is easy once you get up there, Partridge is hard to get.

I did it about 15 years ago, combined it with Giant and White-shouldered Ibis. The late John Hornbuckle did the Ibis part with us.

Good luck.

Is the 17th a lock? Because if you could start one week later on the 24th, I would most definitely be interested! And what costs are you looking at once on the ground in Cambodia (as I live in Thailand)?

I understand if dates are inflexible. Good luck!

Is the 17th a lock? Because if you could start one week later on the 24th, I would most definitely be interested! And what costs are you looking at once on the ground in Cambodia (as I live in Thailand)?

I understand if dates are inflexible. Good luck!

Yes I need to go that week - it is not cheap I think $1100 each for two but it is all inclusive and an adventure,

I assume you're using WCS? I don't think there's an option unless you speak Khmer, hence the price.

I did it independently, without speaking any Khmer. Taxi there and bus back. Went well. But I might have been lucky in finding people who spoke English.

Last edited:
I did it independently, without speaking any Khmer. Taxi there and bus back. Went well. But I might have been lucky in finding people who spoke English.

Things must have changed since I did it then. We were one of the first groups to do it.

Here's a couple of pics, I slept on a table at someones house before the ascent (not me in the pic) and we had quite nice hammocks for the two nights up there, provided by WCS.

It's a hot, arduos hike up the hill, hacking bamboo as you go, or was? This is also a good site for Blue Pitta which we taped in to the camp and a couple of localised races that you should try and see e.g White-tailed Robin.

Attachments

• My bed at Aural village.jpg
    My bed at Aural village.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 30
  • My hammock at camp 2.jpg
    My hammock at camp 2.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Things must have changed since I did it then. We were one of the first groups to do it.

I did it about four years ago. I do remember standing in Trapeang Chour for quite a while feeling rather uncomfortable as the crowd around me got bigger and bigger until someone who spoke really good English showed up and I was saved.

I did it about four years ago. I do remember standing in Trapeang Chour for quite a while feeling rather uncomfortable as the crowd around me got bigger and bigger until someone who spoke really good English showed up and I was saved.

We're in danger of hijacking the thread so I'll retreat, have a great trip, hope you get some good companions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back