• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown Hare (1 Viewer)

trw

Not sure how this species is doing nationally but round here they are regulary seen.
I generally see up to four on my local patch but yesterday I spotted eleven, which is remarkable.
Often see them in several other places round here.
My local patch is a drained moss with a couple of small woods. Generally its wall to wall sheep fields but there's also an extensive number hedges and ditches on the edges of the fields.
Generally there's little disturbance in the fields apart from the sheep, a few cows and farmers ocassionally working them.

I'm not aware of any in the more rural outskirts of London. Many years ago they used to be near Heathrow. I think they're at places like Elmley on the Isle of Sheppey. I usually see them if I go up to Norfolk or Rutland Water.

They are in general decline with not only persecution from illegal coursing, often town-based groups coming out in white vans, very hard for even estate managers and farmland shoot owners to detect and catch as they can hit anywhere they like night after night, but also one of the Rabbit fatal diseases having made a species jump. I've a feeling it's not myxomatosis but could be wrong.

We still have them on the chalk to the West but not the numbers that used to be there.

John

I've had up to eleven on a site near to me recently. Big threat here comes from the fact that the whole area is under threat of destruction to make way for a railfreight interchange/distribution complex covering over 500 acres. Breeding Lapwing, Grey Partridge, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Linnet, occasional Yellow Wagtail, etc., also in same area.

Attachments

• HARES 2.jpg
    HARES 2.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 11
  • HARES 1.jpg
    HARES 1.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 13
We still get some here on the arable fields next to our house. I've spent several hours watching them this spring. It's been good entertainment watching them box and chase around the fields. Saw one pair mating too. We had one in the garden and I caught another on the camera trap after dark too. They seem to be doing well and living alongside a group of rabbits. Another week and the crops will be too high to see them.

Here is a piece about the virus John mentioned.
https://www.eadt.co.uk/business/rhdv2-rabbit-virus-found-in-hares-1-5865980

Attachments

• _DSC7650-001.JPG
    _DSC7650-001.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 6
  • _DSC7652-001.JPG
    _DSC7652-001.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 7
  • _DSC7669-001.JPG
    _DSC7669-001.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 8
We still get some here on the arable fields next to our house. I've spent several hours watching them this spring. It's been good entertainment watching them box and chase around the fields. Saw one pair mating too. We had one in the garden and I caught another on the camera trap after dark too. They seem to be doing well and living alongside a group of rabbits. Another week and the crops will be too high to see them.

Here is a piece about the virus John mentioned.
https://www.eadt.co.uk/business/rhdv2-rabbit-virus-found-in-hares-1-5865980
Good to hear they are doing well in other places too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back