• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

warbler central new york july 6 (1 Viewer)

Not always but I agree it often is. But how about giving us chapter & verse on this one?

Well, shape/structure is better for C. Yellowthroat, bill is too thick (Parula should have a more deeper orange sharper-pointed bill), lack of white eye-arcs, among other things. I would expect overall a more blue-gray plumage if this was a N. Parula.

Hezekiah 6:6

???
For us less well versed in the Old Testament, please expand.

Obviously it was mean't as a joke, as there is no such book in the bible.

Hezekiah 6:6

More apposite here might be 1 Corinthians 13:12. But I still don't see clearly why our bird's not a Northern Parula.

[There's no book of Hezekiah in the bible but E for effort anyway ;)]]

EDIT: cross-posted with your last, Falcon.

Well, OK, I see things a little less darkly now. I still wonder, however, how well-developed the eye arcs would be on a very young Northern Parula? Dto for bill characteristics.

Last edited:
I still don't see clearly why our bird's not a Northern Parula.

I think the lack of wing bars is the clincher. They're present in Northern Parula, even in its juvenal/first basic plumage (although narrower and duller).

Otherwise, it just looks like a Common Yellowthroat to me. The long pink tarsi sold me. Bill shape. Colouring.

But who knows?

... you could maybe convince me that it's a young Mourning Warbler (a young male with an especially yellow throat and a lack of eye crescents), but there is zero chance that it's a Northern Parula.

More apposite here might be 1 Corinthians 13:12. But I still don't see clearly why our bird's not a Northern Parula.

[There's no book of Hezekiah in the bible but E for effort anyway ;)]]

EDIT: cross-posted with your last, Falcon.

Well, OK, I see things a little less darkly now. I still wonder, however, how well-developed the eye arcs would be on a very young Northern Parula? Dto for bill characteristics.

Young birds do show eye arcs.

... you could maybe convince me that it's a young Mourning Warbler (a young male with an especially yellow throat and a lack of eye crescents), but there is zero chance that it's a Northern Parula.

You couldn't convince me.

I've attached one of my photos of a juvenile Northern Parula taken in Florida. The eye arcs, wingbars and leg colour are all different from the original pic. Common Yellowthroat for me

Attachments

• BF Juv Northern Parula.jpg
    BF Juv Northern Parula.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 65
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back