• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodgate Valley CP & Quinton Meadows (1 Viewer)

It's impossible to say, with certainty, from the pictures. Finer ID points for either species cannot be ascertained. In the field views would obviously be better particularly if the bird was calling.......

Laurie:t:

Has Laurie said it’s impossible to say, with certainty, from the pictures .But If I had to put my neck on the block going on the amount of white on the cheeks sweeping back on to the sides of the neck I would have gone for Willow Tit.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Marsh/Willow Tit.

It's a long time since I've been to the Woodgate Valley but on habitat alone I would say your more likely to get Willow Tit there. If it appears again listen out for the call.

Hi Baggie_Dave - good to see your list is growing. I have not seen the kingfisher for a month now. I'm using your list to identify a few new ones to me. Only thing I can add is I regularly see the moorhen in the brook, very near the blvd. I have to really look for it though as I am close to the brook to try and see the kingfisher. I have only seen a heron once on the brook, middle of last year.

13-4-13

A quick 90 min walk around this morning in initially very foggy conditions but it eventually cleared. 3 new species for my 2013 list comprising a few Meadow Pipits which were feeding in the horse paddocks. I may have had one earlier this year but now I'm certain. I also saw my first Starling of the year (!) at Woodgate, again in the paddocks albeit looking fairly lonely. Finally, a smart female Linnet briefly appeared near the Orchard but promptly flew off south.

Also had a flock of c.40 Redwing still in and around the horse paddocks, they should be heading north any time now. No further migrants but noted 5-6 Chiffchaff singing in total.

2013 Species List: 48

Cheers :t:

16-4-13

A quick walk around after work whilst the weather was good produced two new patch year ticks in the form of a Pied Wagtail and around 10 House Martins over the trekking centre.

Other notables included more Chiffchaffs than you can shake a stick at, Collared Dove, c. 200 Woodpigeon in the horse paddocks, 2 Starling over and a Jay.

Still no Coal Tit!!!

28-4-13

Still feels like winter with the cold temperatures this morning, and being so overcast i had no chance of taking any decent pictures. Add to that the fact my bins have broken and i had to revert to a 30 yr old pair, it wasn't the best start to the day.

However, 3 new patch ticks for me!!

Coal Tit - Finally!!! 2 were seen feeding in trees on the north side of bournbrook.
Willow Warbler - Only the one, but heard in song again along the brook.
Blackcap - A male was seen in the overgrowth next to the visitor centre when I got back to the car park.

There are so many Song Thrush at Woodgate I can't recall ever regularly seeing so many in one location. Chiffchaffs were also well represented today. I may have seen a Whitethroat but it flew off and I couldn't relocate it. I'm also glad to report that the Willow Tit was back in its usual hang-out, this time calling which is how i now know it is a Willow Tit!!

I still have a whole host of species i have not yet connected with and would be hopeful of seeing at some point this year. I've never seen an owl here, no Grey Heron, Moorhen, Woodcock, Brambling, Wheatear, Whinchat, Stonechat, Hobby etc, very excited at what the summer may bring!!

Species seen:

Goldfinch, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Dunnock, Wren, Robin, Woodpigeon, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Stock Dove, Carrion Crow, Feral Pigeon, Magpie, House Sparrow, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Jay, Jackdaw, Coal Tit, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Herring Gull, Mallard, Willow Tit.

2013 Species Count: 53

I thought after today's update it would be worth me writing down a list of all the species I have seen in Woodgate this year (and indeed therefore, ever):

Carrion Crow
Magpie
Jay
Jackdaw
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Stock Dove
Feral Pigeon
Blackbird
Redwing
Fieldfare
Mistle Thrush
Song Thrush
Dunnock
Wren
Robin
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Willow Tit
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Chaffinch
Bullfinch
Siskin
Linnet
Lesser Redpoll
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Treecreeper
Nuthatch
Goldcrest
Mallard
Grey Wagtail
Pied Wagtail
House Sparrow
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel
Buzzard
Peregrine
Herring Gull
Black-headed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Lapwing
Pheasant
Chiffchaff
Willow Warbler
Blackcap
Starling
Meadow Pipit
House Martin
Reed Bunting

As mentioned though, plenty more possible.

3/5/13

The first weekday walk of the year as I have a day off and I got two new birds for the list and one more to add (not seen by me).

There were 3 Swallows in the paddocks immediately next to the visitor centre whilst I noted 3-4 Whitethroat around the valley too.

Other birds of note include the return of Green Woodie - first time i've seen one since February!! Also had 4-5 Blackcap, some active Mistle Thrush, 2 Jays, 2 Starling, House Sparrow, Chiffchaff and Bullfinch.

The Woodgate Ranger Twitter feed also indicated there were 2 Wheatear in the paddocks yesterday but after a bit of searching today I could't spot any.

2013 Species List: 56

I don't live too far from Woodgate and have been there a few times but just to take the kids for a walk. It's just a bit too busy to bird round there for me! Nice to read the thread though, you seem to have seen most of the birds you would expect. Nice to read your comment about the large amount of Song Thrushes too, I have noticed a big increase recently wherever I have been so hopefully they are increasing again.

Something different

I had a quick cycle round Woodgate Valley CP this evening. I was looking for the kingfisher which I have not seen for a couple months. I've read on this forum they fly off to breeding grounds about this time of year, who knows? They are always elusive. Anyway I got a shock when I saw a heron. I'd seen one last year and nice to see one again.

Attachments

• Woodgate Valley Heron.jpg
    Woodgate Valley Heron.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 106
19-05-13

First visit for a couple of weeks. It's amazing what a couple weeks of decent weather can do for a place, it looks very green, plenty of insects around too.

Only 1 new species for the year list in the form of 3 Swift overhead.

Other notables include: Stock Dove, Treecreeper (2nd of year), Cormorant flying over (2nd of year), Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Whitethroat, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Swallow - + most of the regulars.

2013 Species List: 57

Yesterday / Saturday early evening, saw the Heron again which was great to see. Saw three Jays which was more than I've ever on one site for one visit. Though I guess two viewings could have been the same one. Then saw a female mallard with ten chicks. Never seen that many. Now thinking about it, the heron might get them if it finds them.

Last edited:
Zomerset - Nice to see the Heron is still around, i still need to add it to my site list!! I usually see 2-3 Jays around the reserve so you may not have been seeing double.

Also had a bit of a surprise when I got home in Quinton this afternoon, shut my car door and flushed a Female Wheatear from next door's block-paved drive and on to a neighbour's roof!!

It's bright white behind gave it away and closer inspection through the bins and a few photos later confirmed it. Very chuffed. Although i live in a residential area halfway between Warley Woods and Woodgate, both are still a good 15 minute walk away so not sure what it was doing here. I do live v close to the Wolverhampton Rd junction and it must be one of the highest points in the area so maybe not too surprising it could be used by migrants at this time of the year?? I see loads of them when we visit the Isle of Skye but i don't think i have seen one locally for yonks.

Hopefully i can get to Woodgate tomorrow morning for a sunny stroll before the heavens open!

My first visit for a couple weeks, I was looking for the heron but knew I would not see it again, that was lucky. Also waiting for the return of the kingfisher, I guess it's if it's been successful breeding. It was the end of June when I saw one last year. There was a mallard couple and my best sighting was a red male chaffinch. On a personal note, we had a pair of swallows building a nest in our alley way. They spent a month checking out the site, 2 weeks building the nest and now the female is sat on the eggs. Directly above them I then spotted some sparrows building a nest under our gutter.

On my visit yesterday the vegetatian is so high on the banks, I can barely see the brook in parts. I could just see a mallard. Plenty of black birds and so many magpies. I spotted another chaffinch which landed on the path and fed in front of me.

Visited yesterday, Saturday. I found all the usual suspects. A couple of noisy gulls circling overhead. I forgot to mention last week I saw a Jay on the brook. This week saw what must be a rat swimming along, saw a mouse run across the path and actually saw fish in the brook. These were all firsts and I am amazed what I see when I look closer. Think also now I have learnt the sound of one of my new favourites, the chaffinch and I could hear it in a couple places. I best check now the sound is what I think it is. I had to go to a Nature centre hide, Friday, to get my kingfisher fix. I was amazed to read someone had seen 5 in one go so that was the incentive. In the end I saw 2 or 3. They didn't stop for long. This consisted of their young which must have just fledged. http://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/9162167658/

Last edited:
I saw this on twitter;
I wonder where on the Bourn?
My mate at work would saw where are the photo's.
And was it a flock? ;)
Good news - if you can see one!!

Woodgate Ranger
@WoodgateValley
Kingfishers on Bourn Brook recorded this week. numbers higher than have been sighted for some time
04:21 PM - 15 Jun 13

I see the kingfisher sighting is on the Woodgate Valley facebook site. I've been looking but not got lucky, the only thing I saw on the brook was a moorhen. It's quite a feat to see anything on the brook due to the vegetation. I now know the bird song I hear is a chiffchaff and it can be heard in a few places. Not heard from Baggie_Dave on here for sometime, hope you are well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back