• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruddy Duck X White headed Duck hybrid (Morocco), ID confirmation (1 Viewer)

Looks like a hybrid to me, but the black on the crown is not wrong for White-headed Duck. The body colour and white undertail coverts do indicate Ruddy Duck.

Steve

White headed Duck with characteristics not shown in bird guides

Thanks all for trying. I think this is an interesting bird, despite all the characteristics I have numbered to show it’s an hybrid, this is fortunately an adult male White-headed Duck according to Carlos Gutiérrez Expósito and others who have commented on the bird.

On the other hand, I think that bird guides doesn't show (neither in texts nor in illustrations) that some White-headed Ducks have pale undertail coverts as shown in this bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back