• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are oculars just too small on 32mm binos? (incl. Leica) (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
Well, I just returned the Ultravid HD+ 8x32 that I had for the last week. Not because it wasn't a lovely little thing, although the focusing knob had an annoying click in it. (What's that about?) Not because the view wasn't bright and beautiful, although I would prefer less pincushion distortion. And not because I don't like the idea of small binoculars; I used a 10x32 BN for years and thought highly of it. But it seems that finicky eyepieces must just go with that form factor (not to mention 25mm or 20!). So if I do ever get another glass this small for convenience, I don't want to spend alpha money on it.

People generally say that exit pupil is the issue, and sure enough my Trinovid 10x42 BR gives a more accommodating view. So I expected stepping back to 8x to do likewise for a 32mm glass, but it didn't. I'm starting to suspect that the sheer physical diameter of the ocular is the limiting factor. After a couple of days of readjustment because something about the HD+ (including its shallow eyecups) was different from the BN, I could use it well enough, but it continued to strike me as even more sensitive to eye positioning than the BN was.

I'm aware that eyepiece design has always been a major compromise even in alpha binos, because really good ones (wide and sharp etc) would be prohibitively large and expensive. Does the problem get even worse on smaller binos, just because the (already barely adequate) eyepieces have to be smaller too? The advantages of larger binos are commonly described in terms of objective size (brightness, resolution), but I'm starting to believe that ocular size can be at least as important. And it begins to feel comfortable to me somewhere around the form factor of a 42mm glass, so the 10x42 will be my usual choice now.

Not a direct answer but I haven't (yet!) found an 8x or 10x that I could tolerate either in 32mm with the exception of a Swarovski SLsomething (SLC) years ago but eyes were better then and I can't recall anything about the oculars. I too prefer glass in the x42 range and up.

I *think* I prefer a large ocular, and know some bins with good reviews on image quality have large oculars (some models of Leupold, Zen Ray Primes, Steiner Peregrine Series, others.)

I'm SURE the science (and science-minded folks) will say that if the bin is properly collimated that the ocular doesn't need to be much larger than the EP, but I am a holdout!

Last edited:
If you want big eye cups and oculars on your 32mm binoculars consider the Nikon 32mm EDG II binoculars. (Even the old LX L 32mm binoculars had large oculars and the 8x32 is still sold under the name "Premier.")

The eye cups on my Nikon 10x32 EDG II are large, wide and comfortable and its oculars are commensurately wide. Its eye cups are the same width as those on my Zeiss 7x42 FL Victory and on my Leica 8x42 Ultravid Blackline while its oculars are wider than those on both of them.

The Horned Eyecups which come standard with the EDG also will fit on the 7x42 Victory while keeping its same large FOV.

Bob

Last edited:
Eric

Take a look at the Conquest HD 8x32, its oculars are a whopping 1" in diameter.

Lee

Ocular lens diameter 25mm, to my eye, and another reason for liking these. They are excellent.

I looked at mid-market 10x42s earlier this year, Eric, and those that I prefered also had larger ocular lenses :

Vanguard Endeavor EDII 10x42 @ 24mm
Alpen Rainier HD ED 10x42 @ 24mm.

Best wishes,

Thanks Troubador and ceasar! I hoped someone might mention any exceptions. Unfortunately local stores don't stock all these models for comparison, but I'll keep that in mind.

It's funny, people keep saying that the latest 32mm objectives are big enough for most purposes today... but the corresponding oculars may not be.

Last edited:
It has been stated here quite a bit that ocular size = viewing comfort. Is this [technically] actually the case? Does the size of the ocular actually contribute anything in terms of viewing ease / comfort / eye-placement?

I haven't found it to be so, at least not with the models I have tried. For example, my very old 8x30 Zeiss West porro's, with tiny oculars, are very easy to get a calm and relaxing view with no fussing.

Last edited:
Sorry if it's a familiar theme, I hadn't seen it. And I'm just speculating.

I wonder whether it applies more to roof prisms? Most porros (including a Zeiss of mine) had fairly small oculars but good viewing comfort.

Sorry if it's a familiar theme, I hadn't seen it. And I'm just speculating.

I wonder whether it applies more to roof prisms? Most porros (including a Zeiss of mine) had fairly small oculars but good viewing comfort.

No worries as what you brought up may help me get an answer to my question.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back