• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

World Yearlist Record Attempt (1 Viewer)

Very slow...

I'm keeping an eye on how many 'easy' Category 1 and 2 North American species he misses. A surprising number still up for grabs. Three more days in Oregon and then four in New York. 'The Biggest Twitch' added 250 species in 'Europe' in 84 days during their year so it will be very interesting to see how his additions compare from a much shorter 16 day period.

All the best

Last edited:
'The Biggest Twitch' added 250 species in 'Europe' in 84 days during their year so it will be very interesting to see how his additions compare from a much shorter 16 day period.

He’s going to see more, but how much more? With 16 days and Norway+Spain+Turkey, I didn’t did the math yet but a number above 350 is likely.

He’s going to see more, but how much more? With 16 days and Norway+Spain+Turkey, I didn’t did the math yet but a number above 350 is likely.

Pedro

That's a similar species total to the one I would expect. He has 4 more days in the States and is now heading east but up to yesterday (3rd June), I reckon he had seen 54 species of that 350 or so as they are species that also have distributions in the Americas either as native or introduced species. I have made some assumptions on his taxonomy choice here - Whimbrels, Herring Gulls, etc:-

http://www.audubon.org/news/the-species-list

All the best

It'll be interesting to see if he does Birecik on the Turkey trip, given current concerns expressed elsewhere on this forum. And those Ibis are hardly countable IMO..

cheeers, alan.

It'll be interesting to see if he does Birecik on the Turkey trip, given current concerns expressed elsewhere on this forum. And those Ibis are hardly countable IMO..

cheers, alan.

With only 5 days in Turkey, I suspect he won't be getting that type of coverage. He doesn't seem that keen to put the miles under his belt by car on a daily basis which seems a chink of optimism for anyone with one eye on where he ends up.....

All the best

A blank day on 8 June 2015:-

http://www.audubon.org/news/day-159-grounded-and-zeroed

It will be interesting to find out if his day in Iceland (well 7 hours at least) worked out.

All the best

They did pretty well considering they were birding from midnight to 7 am in very wet conditions - even if it doesn't get dark at this time of year it can get murky when the clouds are so low and bird activity tends to stop for a while in such conditions. But they got some things that he probably won't see elsewhere on his itinerary e.g. Ptarmigan, Brunnich's Guillemot, Manx Shearwater but missed out on some other normally easy local birds like Snow Bunting and Black Guillemot. And a King Eider present yesterday couldn't be found today. Gyr Falcon would have also been pretty nailed on if he'd been able to stick to the original itinerary.

Last edited:
They did pretty well considering they were birding from midnight to 7 am in very wet conditions - even it is doesn't get dark at this time of year it can get murky when the clouds are so low and bird activity tends to stop for a while in such conditions. But they got some things that he probably won't see elsewhere on his itinerary e.g. Ptarmigan, Brunnich's Guillemot, Manx Shearwater but missed out on some other normally easy local birds like Snow Bunting and Black Guillemot. And a King Eider present yesterday couldn't be found today. Gyr Falcon would have also been pretty nailed on if he'd been able to stick to the original itinerary.

Excellent. I reckon the pace should pick up again. I thought he'd missed 52 Category 1 ABA species by the time he left the States but a significant number of those (maybe 30+) he was likely to catch up with in Europe. The 52 species were (I think):- Mute Swan, Tundra Swan, Common Eider, Long-tailed Duck, Common Goldeneye, Greater Sage-Grouse, Willow Ptarmigan, Rock Ptarmigan, Horned Grebe, Red-necked Grebe, Black-footed Albatross, Northern Fulmar, Cory's Shearwater, Audubon's Shearwater, Northern Gannet, Great Cormorant, Northern Goshawk, Rough-legged Hawk, Purple Sandpiper, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Red Phalarope, Long-tailed Jaeger, Thick-billed Murre, Razorbill, Black Guillemot, Atlantic Puffin, Horned Puffin, Black-legged Kittiwake, Sabine's Gull, Mew Gull, Glaucous Gull, Arctic Tern, Northern Shrike, Northwestern Crow, Boreal Chickadee, American Pipit, Lapland Longspur, Chestnut-collared Longspur, Snow Bunting, Cape May Warbler, Palm Warbler, American Tree Sparrow, Lark Bunting, Le Conte's Sparrow, Nelson's Sparrow, Saltmarsh Sparrow, Harris's Sparrow, Golden-crowned Sparrow, Rusty Blackbird, Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch, Pine Grosbeak & Common Redpoll.

All the best

So in comparison to the current record, the position stands as follows:-

Current Record
Antarctica - no days - 0 species
South America - 84 days - 1,388 species
North America - 41 days - 695 species
Total - 125 days - 2,083 species

This Attempt
Antarctica - 7 days - 53 species
South America - 96 days - 1,924 species
North America - 56 days - 770 species
Total - 159 days - 2,747 species

I had a look on BUBO earlier to find out the respective bird lists for the different World areas and got the following:-
South America - 3,309 species
North & Middle America - 2,085 species
Western Palearctic - 967 species
Middle East - 974 species
Africa - 2,584 species
Oriental - 2,799 species
Australia - 917 species
New Zealand - 334 species

Obviously lots of species overlap and indeed some will be on each of them! Can he double his list from this point? Is 6,000 possible?

All the best

Pedro

I reckon that his final list of 'overlap' species (ie those already seen that he should see again in Europe) before leaving the States was 56 - Greater White-fronted Goose, Canada Goose, Gadwall, Mallard, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Red-throated Loon, Common Loon, Eared Grebe, Great Egret, Cattle Egret, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Glossy Ibis, Osprey, Northern Harrier, Golden Eagle, Black-bellied Plover, Whimbrel, Ruddy Turnstone, Red Knot, Sanderling, Dunlin, Red-necked Phalarope, Pomarine Jaeger, Parasitic Jaeger, Common Murre, Herring Gull, Gull-billed Tern, Caspian Tern, Black Tern, Common Tern, Sandwich Tern, Rock Pigeon, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Barn Owl, Merlin, Peregrine Falcon, Common Raven, Horned Lark, Bank Swallow, Barn Swallow, European Starling, Red Crossbill, House Sparrow, Brant, Greater Scaup, Common Merganser, Ring-necked Pheasant, Short-eared Owl, Black-billed Magpie, Red-breasted Merganser, Great Black-backed Gull, Monk Parakeet, Great Gray Owl, Chukar, Long-eared Owl - so in the next fortnight that would mean he could add about 300 to his year list and break through 3,000.

All the best

Last edited:
But they got some things that he probably won't see elsewhere on his itinerary e.g. Ptarmigan, Brunnich's Guillemot, Manx Shearwater but missed out on some other normally easy local birds like Snow Bunting and Black Guillemot. .

Not bad, let's hope that he don't miss any more flights. :) :)

Splits?

Iceland went very well, 35 species!

Pedro

Not sure the taxonomy that he is following but I believe that the ABA does not split those:-

Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus
Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus
Herring Gull Larus argentatus
Black Tern Chlidonias niger
Sandwich Tern Thalasseus sandvicensis

He has not used Hudsonian Whimbrel, Cabot's Tern or added the adjective American in his Species List. (I run scared of mentioning taxonomy. Richard Klim will be along in a minute.)

As for Iceland, indeed. I would expect him to get back Snow Bunting and Black Guillemot and he had already seen Harlequin. Maybe Red (Grey) Phalarope and Gyr Falcon will prove the misses?

All the best

Not sure the taxonomy that he is following but I believe that the ABA does not split those...
(I run scared of mentioning taxonomy. Richard Klim will be along in a minute.)
I was a bit slow off the mark there... ;)

I'm sure that Noah will be following ABA Recording Rules, which specify eBird/Clements taxonomy (as Morgan suggested):
(2) The bird must have been a member of a species currently listed on the ABA Checklist for lists within the ABA Area, on the AOU Check-list for lists outside the ABA Area and within the AOU Area, or on the Clements Checklist for all other areas.
PS. There's a pending AOU-NACC proposal (2015-C-9) to split Northern Harrier Circus (cyaneus) hudsonius, and the result should be announced in the Jul or Oct Auk (and will of course be followed by both ABA and eBird/Clements). But the ABA Recording Rules require the bird to be a member of a species currently listed. So Noah might need to see another hudsonius later in the year...

Last edited:
138 species added from five days in (greater) 'Europe' so far seems to compare favourably to 250 species added in 84 days from the previous record. I've not got my head around the Norwegian additions - a pretty eclectic mix with some species I thought that I would see not appearing yet:-

http://www.audubon.org/news/the-species-list

I suppose the reality is that June is a tricky month to look for a number of species in northern Europe. The original plan was Turkey and Spain next so I expect him to have been travelling again today to have arrived in Turkey this evening.

All the best

Last edited:
He couldn't hope for a better guide in Turkey. Emin was our local guide on our tour in May - since we were with him he added Sykes's Warbler to the Turkey list, and has done a tour of Kazakhstan. They spent last night at the Safak Pensiyon, so expect Snowcock plus other mountain specialities today. I also see that he was taken out in Iceland by Yann, our other tour guide in Turkey - both top birders.

I might try and work out later what he can expect to get from the balance of Turkey (3 days) and Spain (4 days).

At this rate is not going to have a lot of species to see in Spain, He can afford to spend time to get some localized species. He still have more than 100 species to see in Spain, but he’s going to see a good portion of them in Turkey.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back