• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

World Yearlist Record Attempt (5 Viewers)

Less than a third of the way through the year and over half way to the current record - 2,222 species from 113 days:-

http://www.audubon.org/news/the-species-list

The combined Americas and Europe total in the previous record was 2,333 so with Guatemala, Mexico, Texas, Arizona, California, Oregon, New York, Norway, Turkey & Spain to go and the species list currently being on 2,222, it is difficult not to see the total being at least 500-600 ahead.

All the best

All the best

The terrifying pace continues:-

With 53 species in 7 days in Antarctica, 1924 species in 96 days in South America and 410 species in 20 days in North America, the 20 new species per day pace is pretty extraordinary. I suspect that this is contributed to by the fact that the photos now show him wearing binoculars:-

http://www.audubon.org/news/day-123-shelf

He has a further 15 days in Mexico, 19 in the USA (Texas, Arizona, California, Oregon and New York) and 16 in Europe (Norway, Turkey and Spain) but is already 54 ahead of the current record's combined Americas and Europe list. Alternatively, he is ahead of where the current record was on 12th June!

I'm looking forward to finding out what he can achieve in the USA from three weeks and Europe from a fortnight. 3,000 before he has finished in Europe?

All the best

Last edited:
Half Way to 5,000

The pace has dropped off with additional species in the Americas in short supply but nevertheless the 2,500th species was notched up on day 136 with a couple of days in Mexico still to go:-

http://www.audubon.org/news/day-135-potoos-herons-and-tanagers

Finally getting Mallard must have been a highlight and he must be looking forward to Dunlin.

I imagine when he gets to the USA all stops will be out to assist him. However with maybe 300 standard North American species already seen, I suspect he'll do well to get an additional 250 in the USA?

I would have thought that he can expect 350-400 species combining Norway, Turkey and Spain so maybe 250 new species for him in Europe combining those countries before he starts his African adventure. He's probably already dreaming of Dunnocks, Robins, Great Tits, etc - proper birds in place of those Resplendent Quetzals, Cock-of-the-Rocks, hummingbirds....

All the best

Last edited:
I suspect he'll see plenty of them in North America before he gets to Europe!
I didn't encounter Hooded Merganser until my sixth birding trip to the US! :eek!:

And even then (in New England) I only found a few. Never seemed to be in the right place at the right time...

I suspect he'll see plenty of them in North America before he gets to Europe!

Indeed. I foresee a future world where re-runs of Monty Python will need subtitles with emoticons.

I didn't encounter Hooded Merganser until my sixth birding trip to the US! :eek!:

And even then (in New England) I only found a few. Never seemed to be in the right place at the right time...

Easier on this side of the pond then. I wonder why. :eek!:

I'm still hoping to see another mention of Redhead and this one with two wings! At the minute, I'm deducting one from his list as self-appointed Judge, Jury and Executioner of World Year-lists. ;)

He's now in Arizona with his list continuing to climb. He is firmly ahead on species seen in the Americas and number of species seen by this stage of the year:-

All the best

Only just seen this thread Paul.

Just adding some first hand knowledge as Noah spent 6 days with me in Colombia at Birding without borders days 97 -102 when he joined my trip in the Western \ Central Andes. I got a really good idea of how he birds, his daily expectations and how he keeps his costs down. He is an exceptional birder in the Americas with an incredible knowledge of sounds, he really helped me in my first few days there, I guess he was running out of birds by now as he pretty well cleaned up in Ecuador and had a good run in Colombia before he joined up with me so was able to afford more time getting me onto my lifers.... :t:

His stamina will obviously be tested as the early starts must eventually take a toll but upto now he seemed fresh in the mornings and woke up with a fresh determination and excitement of what the day will bring.

Apart from his obvious love of birds the other thing that came across (and does from his blog) is the appreciation of meeting the extraordinary people from all over the world and all walks of life who have an appetite for the care of birds and those that share their knowledge and experiences for other people to enjoy.

Top Bloke.

Just thought I would add a few images to this thread
1. Noah in search of Crested Ant-Tanager
2. Checking out a Slate Throated Redstart nest
3. With the Montezuma crew
4. Enjoying the spectacular Western Andes view

Attachments

• Noah-searching-for-2000.jpg
    Noah-searching-for-2000.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Noah-and-Slate-Throated-Redstart-nest.jpg
    Noah-and-Slate-Throated-Redstart-nest.jpg
    617.5 KB · Views: 104
  • The-Montezuma-Crew.jpg
    The-Montezuma-Crew.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Noah-on-Montezuma-Road,-higher-elevation.jpg
    Noah-on-Montezuma-Road,-higher-elevation.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 103
Dave

What I would add is that he is also clearly exceptional in respect of his focus and in his organisation. The logistics of this trip and the route just seem so well conceived and implemented to date. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in Europe where I will be able to make a judgement in respect of an area that I know. How successful will he be in an area where I will be able to spot any omissions?

But at this stage, it is difficult to see how as an overall plan this could be bettered.

By the end of the year I foresee some world listers jealous of his final total:-

http://www.bubo.org/Listing/view-all-lists.html?showlists=13,IOC,0,,0

Somewhere on this page?

http://surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/surfbirds/display.cgi?list=list1&lowVal=100&highVal=149

All the best

I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in Europe where I will be able to make a judgement in respect of an area that I know. How successful will he be in an area where I will be able to spot any omissions?

I’m following the blog since the start and I’m also very curious about Europe, It’s going to be fun, particularly in Spain to see the hit percentage.

I’m following the blog since the start and I’m also very curious about Europe, It’s going to be fun, particularly in Spain to see the hit percentage.

Pedro

You would have thought that he would have a lot of people falling over themselves to assist. His dates appear to be:-

Norway - 8 to 13 June
Turkey (I know it's not really Europe) - 13 to 18 June
Spain - 18 to 23 June

Not quite got my head around what 'European' species he has seen so far - he keeps on calling them funny things - Common Loon, Red-throated Loon, Eared Grebe, etc. 3:)

All the best

Dave

What I would add is that he is also clearly exceptional in respect of his focus and in his organisation. The logistics of this trip and the route just seem so well conceived and implemented to date. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in Europe where I will be able to make a judgement in respect of an area that I know. How successful will he be in an area where I will be able to spot any omissions?

But at this stage, it is difficult to see how as an overall plan this could be bettered.

By the end of the year I foresee some world listers jealous of his final total:-

http://www.bubo.org/Listing/view-all-lists.html?showlists=13,IOC,0,,0

Somewhere on this page?

http://surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/surfbirds/display.cgi?list=list1&lowVal=100&highVal=149

All the best

A great trip and a great story - I've been following for some time. I was in Panama and Costa Rica at the same time but I never bumped into his teams. I'm sure he's going to smash the record. That said, it will be possible to beat it but I think it will take a very well planned, well funded effort, probably with a two year lead in. I reckon £200,000 from your pension pot might just do it Paul!

cheers, alan

A great trip and a great story - I've been following for some time. I was in Panama and Costa Rica at the same time but I never bumped into his teams. I'm sure he's going to smash the record. That said, it will be possible to beat it but I think it will take a very well planned, well funded effort, probably with a two year lead in. I reckon £200,000 from your pension pot might just do it Paul!

cheers, alan

What he should really do is pack it in when he has beaten the record by one in the mould of Sergey Bubka's World Records and give everyone else a chance. 3:)

All the best

You would have thought that he would have a lot of people falling over themselves to assist. His dates appear to be:-

Yes, myself included, but he is only going to Spain and not Portugal and that make sense of course, depending of the route is 5 to 10 more species, but i have the feeling that if he opted for a shorter time in Spain the final result is probably the same.
In any case he’s having a lot of help from local birders, and that is making the difference.

He'll have to beat it by at least two if he doesn't see another Redhead! ;)

cheers, a

Very true. You would have thought the sign saying - 'Please don't steal our ducks' - would have given it away. Even Farnboro John wouldn't have given that bird the benefit of the doubt! 3:)

He has 11 days left in the States with 119 Category 1 and 88 Category 2 ABA birds left. I wonder how many he is targeting.

All the best

Last edited:

Phew - 2,687 - Hooded Merganser:-

It seems to me that there are three ways to cross-check progress against the current record.

One is to compare what the other record was on at a particular date. There are not that many points in time where the information is available. On 28th May, the previous recordholders were on 2,285 so on that basis this attempt is 402 ahead.

The second is to compare this attempt's species total as against dates in the the previous record. The previous record was on 2,665 on 7 July and 2,747 on 14 July. On that basis, this attempt is over 40 days ahead.

I think the most valid comparison is to compare the species seen for the same geographical areas between the record and this attempt. The combined Americas total under the record was 2,033 so this attempt is at least 654 ahead with 10 days left still in the USA and about 180 ABA Category 1 and 2 bird species still available.

All the best

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back