• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOP Lancashire 23/08/2007 (2 Viewers)

Sleeper

I took this photo of a BOP almost half a mile away and what is troubling me is the fact that although the tail really is kite it showed no red on upper tail and no fork was displayed the whole of the 3-5mins I watched it through the scope.

Any ID tips are most welcome. Initially I felt young feemale Marsh Harrier but the consensous that have viewed image say Red Kite.

Any futher coments would be welcome particularly how best to come to the correct ID.

Attachments

• Red Kite Aug 07.jpg
    Red Kite Aug 07.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 494
Head, tail and general colouring look right for a Black Kite - a shame the primaries aren't spread. From the angle you've taken the photo I'd expect the tail to be a bit more concave on a red rather than the square-ish end this one shows. Where abouts did you see it Stephen?

Hi Rob

Thanks for reply. I have not as such ruled anything out, more people telling me what it is. I guess when initially I thought it a young Marsh Harrier and somebody says no it's a Red Kite then it's hard to say anything else.

Like I say I would be interested in a little more insight into the ID comparisons of the bird as personally it did not say red Kite to me.

Any further help on this would be welcome.

Don't know if you can rule out Black Kite from this pic. Although on the pic I'd say it's a Kite sp, and on the balance of probabilities based on the location, would be inclined to agree with Red Kite.

Hi al
Just outside Rochdale was the sighting.

The thing still in my mind was massive cream on head hit me straight away. Then the tail had no red or any signs of a fork...non!

I watched for 3-5mins.

Hi Bitterntwisted

Yes the only photo sorry.

Hi Tim
Could you elaborate why you think this could be as you say a Marsh please?

Hi al
Just outside Rochdale was the sighting.

The thing still in my mind was massive cream on head hit me straight away. Then the tail had no red or any signs of a fork...non!

I watched for 3-5mins.

Now I still think the photo would point to a Kite, though you now mention a cream head which points more to a Marsh Harrier!

Are you sure the pic is of the same bird with the cream head?

OK, with the single photo caveat, it looks like a Marsh Harrier to me, too. The structure seems fine and playing with the brightness brings out a contrast pattern to the underside which fits. Plus your description sounds good.

Graham

Stephen if in doubt trust your gut instinct. Being able to watch it for 3-5mins through a scope is far more valuable than a single photo. If it's most distinctive feature was a cream head Marsh Harrier it is. I'm sure after 3-5 minutes although a Kite will clearly show a paler head if you can't make out the colour or tail its most distinctive feature will be a characteristic flight pattern. Perhaps if you could elaborate on the birds behaviour it'd help.

It may indeed be a marsh harrier, but juv Black Kites can have very pale heads too. In Bulgaria recently myself and my guide thought a perched bird was a Marsh Harrier due to its very pale crown, but then it took to flight and was clearly a Black Kite.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back