• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I don't know from shinola when it comes to binos, (1 Viewer)

Gavin S.

but I stumbled on something on the internets about the amazing quality of the Zen-Ray ED2s. I can't even remember what I was "researching" when a random tangent took me into the world of binoculars. I know I started reading up on the alpha types and thinking, yeah right, I'm gonna pay $2k for this. But I kept seeing Zen-Ray mentioned as having near alpha quality for 1/4 the price. That brought me here and after reading all the positive comments I bought a pair on a whim. I have a pair of cheap Bushnell variable power jobs that I always assumed were typical of all binos in clarity. When my Zen 8x43s arrived I did a little side by side comparison. Wow. The best analogy I can draw is that it was like going from watching my 13" SD TV to my 50" HDTV. The TV analogy is really apt, IMO, because of the difference in color, clarity and FOV is very much on that scale. The difference is so vast that it is hard to even think of the Bushy's as binoculars any more. I've never had the pleasure of looking through the alpha's, so for all I know there is a whole nuther factor of precision in those optics, but I find that hard to believe. I won't go on because I don't have the knowledge to speak on the topic, but I did want to put in my own little review from the perspective of a complete neophyte. Thanks for reading.

Gavin S.

welcome!

Great!! And welcome to BF! I had a similar shock into quality optics after 50 years with some 7X35 Swifts that had gotten to look as if they were full of thick smoke. They were probably better than that in their day, but that day is long gone. Any plans for what you're going to look at with that brandy new glass? Might try some birds once you get bored with the neighbors.

marty

Great!! And welcome to BF! I had a similar shock into quality optics after 50 years with some 7X35 Swifts that had gotten to look as if they were full of thick smoke. They were probably better than that in their day, but that day is long gone. Any plans for what you're going to look at with that brandy new glass? Might try some birds once you get bored with the neighbors.

marty

I've been checking out the local fauna here in Louisville, Ky a little bit. Not too much variety in my backyard as yet. Robins and Starlings mostly. There's a Redtail around but I haven't seen him since the Zens got here. It's too cold and snowy to go out and about right now. At least for me it is. I'm sure birders are a hardy bunch when it comes to the elements. When the weather breaks I'll go down to the river (Ohio) and see what's out there.

I've been checking out the local fauna here in Louisville, Ky a little bit. Not too much variety in my backyard as yet. Robins and Starlings mostly. There's a Redtail around but I haven't seen him since the Zens got here. It's too cold and snowy to go out and about right now. At least for me it is. I'm sure birders are a hardy bunch when it comes to the elements. When the weather breaks I'll go down to the river (Ohio) and see what's out there.
Looks like you´ve caught the bino bug and the birding bug....welcome to a world of harmless obsession!;) Seriously, congrats on your new ZRs, I recently got a pair of ZR 7x36 ED2 as well, and I also have the 2k swarovskis. You lose nothing at all, either in terms of enjoyment of birds or ability to clearly see and ID them, by using the Zen-Rays! Meanwhile, take those Bushnell zooms and use them as a paperweight....:t: (Alternatively, do what I did with an old pair of useless binos....take them apart to see how they´re made, great fun!)

Looks like you´ve caught the bino bug and the birding bug....welcome to a world of harmless obsession!;) Seriously, congrats on your new ZRs, I recently got a pair of ZR 7x36 ED2 as well, and I also have the 2k swarovskis. You lose nothing at all, either in terms of enjoyment of birds or ability to clearly see and ID them, by using the Zen-Rays! Meanwhile, take those Bushnell zooms and use them as a paperweight....:t: (Alternatively, do what I did with an old pair of useless binos....take them apart to see how they´re made, great fun!)

It seems like every hobby-obsession I get drawn into I find that there is a level of cost and quality that I had no idea existed. When I first became interested in watches I believed Rolex was the last word in quality, but found there were brands-manufacturers like Patek Philippe, A. Lange & Söhne, FP Journe etc that made watches at a much higher level that Rolex. Unfortunately, I usually end up trying to run with the big boys in these hobbies. Hopefully I can remain satisfied with the glass I have, but I will probably end up with some Swarovskis or Leica before it's over. ;)

Gavin,

Congrats! on the new ZR ED2s. They are the best bang for the buck, and I hope they stay that way (at least until I've gotten one of each model).

Btw, just so there's no confusion:

http://www.tinamessinger.com/mt-static/blog_images/shinola.jpg

Now you know. :)

Let me see if I've got this straight. Shinola is for making your shoes shiny and binoculars are for making far away things appear closer? Makes me think of an episode of MASH where someone gets Col. Potter with the old shoe polish on the eyecups of the binoculars trick. I am loving the ED2s, thanks.

It seems like every hobby-obsession I get drawn into I find that there is a level of cost and quality that I had no idea existed. When I first became interested in watches I believed Rolex was the last word in quality, but found there were brands-manufacturers like Patek Philippe, A. Lange & Söhne, FP Journe etc that made watches at a much higher level that Rolex. Unfortunately, I usually end up trying to run with the big boys in these hobbies. Hopefully I can remain satisfied with the glass I have, but I will probably end up with some Swarovskis or Leica before it's over.

I share your obsessions and your pain. I have a Beretta shotgun that I talked myself into because of the quality, but in reality a lowly Stoeger would last me about 4 lifetimes. I have a Swarovski, 2 nikon LX's, 2 nikon SE's, and I USE the Zen. You aren't missing anything by using a Zen, other than impressing the guy standing next to you (and he might be a thief!).

Gavin,

A warm welcome to Birdforum. Thank you so much for the feedback. I hope you enjoy your ED2 for years to come!

Charles

Thanks for the apposite video: a performance of great polish. Prior to the explanation of Shinola, I was totally Kiwi'd and Cherry Blossomed...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back