• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Migration Occuring Earlier This Year?? (1 Viewer)

You're right Oubliette the hummers don't pay any attention to the cats. I still have two and they only seemed concerned with chasing each other.

Jeeper you could probably get some winter resident western vagrants in Louisiana since that's a hummingbird hotspot and home of Nancy Newfield. Sarah

You may be right about me getting stray stayovers for winter but I don't look for it to happen where I am. I am located in a different area than what most consider Louisiana to be like, I'm in north central to nortwest area about half way between Shreveport and Alexandria just off I 49. My area is pine trees in the hills and farmland Red River bottom and climate is a little cooler (not a lot) than the swamp areas many people consider to be Louisiana which is well to the south of me.

If you need a better picture of the town look at the movie (originally play) Steel Magnolias it was written about my town and entirely filmed here also. BTW story is almost totally true it was about the authors sister. However the accents were overblown in the movie by far.

Jeeper:
Your description sounds a lot more likely than Dallas where hummingbirds have spent the winter for at least the past 5 years!

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Oubliette said:
Two days ago, when I began trying to photograph these birds, I was shocked at how few males and how many females and juvies there were.
_____
If I had so many hummers on my feeder I would be experiencing a high. Could it be the approaching hurricane that was driving birds further south? Anyway, here are some pics of my "lone ranger" (actually he's territorial and has been driving other Annas away)

P.S. The two photos represent very large files which were cropped and resized to satisfy this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Hi,

I'm new here. I've been a casual Hummingbird feeder for a few years. This year, I took care of three feeders and about two weeks ago, all the Hummers disappeared. Having been fairly casual about this in the past, I'm not certain, but this seems fairly early based on previous years.

Could it be that Hummers know something about the coming winter that we don't? Kind of like the woolly caterpillars?

Bob

Hi,
So far migration seems typical of most years here in SE Michigan. There are still some here today. Usually there are at least a few until the second or third week in October. The latest in the year I've seen them at my house were October 18 in 1996 and 2001, and October 21 in 2002. Attached are a couple of pics from yesterday afternoon.
Bruce

Attachments

• TestTube100105.jpg
    TestTube100105.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Cuphea100105.jpg
    Cuphea100105.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 133
Here on the east coast (central North Carolina) I last saw a Ruby-throated on September the 30th. Just over a week ago there were 2 or 3 at a time around the feeders. But now, nothing for the last 3 days.

Much too early to give up on hummingbirds in North Carolina. Bill Hilton at Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Studies (I think that is the right name for the nature center) bands the occasional hummingbird all winter long in that state!

Mark
Bastrop, TX

I usally maintain 3 feeders. I had thought the last one migrated through Kansas City about 10 days ago. I leave 1 feeder up until after the 1st freeze for the straglers, sure enough this morning these was a juvy at the feeder.
As far as early migration, it seems normal to me. This is my 3rd year. While the 1st year was a banner one, last year I think I saw 6 hummers all fall. Hopefully they dont alternate years.

Flocks Tapering Off Here

In North Louisiana the flocks of the last couple of weeks are tapering down to maybe 4 or 5 birds at a time. Gee I hate that because it was surely a sight at the feeders to have 12 or maybe more birds at a time. Well like the cartoon of the Egret and frog says, it an't over till its over.

Mark, this year I'll try to have more patience about taking down the feeders also. Your advice about western and resident birds may hold up for me also.

Last edited:
My last one here was September 23rd this year. I saw my last one of last year on October 3rd. It seems a lot earlier to me, but I've only been keeping watch for a year and a half now, so my information is hardly conclusive.
Athens, GA

I have gotten email from Illinois, Michigan and other northern states in the last two days reporting Ruby-throated Hummingbirds still at the feeders. While these birds would not normally go through Georgia on their way south, it is WAY to early to say the birds are through.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

I haven't seen a single one of them for several days. It is so quiet now around the house without their constant activity!

On a positive note, without the hummers, I find it easier to notice and enjoy the presence of other birds. Recently, I really enjoyed watching the bluebirds splashing in the birdbath shortly before sunset.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back