• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with bird identification? (Pennsylvania USA) (1 Viewer)

filaceous

Not sure if I'm posting in the right category so apologies if I am not. I live in northwestern Pennsylvania and I've been trying to figure out what type of bird I have been hearing. Every time I go outside to try to figure out what it is, it will stop calling and I won't be able to find it.. attached is a file of me imitating the bird call (to the best of my abilties).. any help?

P.S., I know absolutely nothing about birds, so if the answer is really obvious and I just don't know it, that would be why. :) Sorry.

Attachments

• birdcall.mp3
    75.4 KB · Views: 58
Not sure if I'm posting in the right category so apologies if I am not. I live in northwestern Pennsylvania and I've been trying to figure out what type of bird I have been hearing. Every time I go outside to try to figure out what it is, it will stop calling and I won't be able to find it.. attached is a file of me imitating the bird call (to the best of my abilties).. any help?

P.S., I know absolutely nothing about birds, so if the answer is really obvious and I just don't know it, that would be why. :) Sorry.

Identifying bird calls is not easy at all. You can compare your bird with the sounds recorded here and might convince yourself about the titmouse answer! What do you think?

https://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Baeolophus-bicolor

...and welcome on Birdforum!

I'm thinking maybe Blue Jay.

In the eastern US, when in doubt, if you can't figure out a bird's song, it's either a titmouse or a Blue Jay. ;)

I didn't read the op's remark and went straight to listen just to find out that was such a weird bird call, as if a human was whistling. So, I reopen this thread again, read, and find op imitated the bird sound. Oh my silly...

Good effort!

Here's a type of Blue Jay's song that you probably overheard; https://www.xeno-canto.org/53693.

I didn't read the op's remark and went straight to listen just to find out that was such a weird bird call, as if a human was whistling. So, I reopen this thread again, read, and find op imitated the bird sound. Oh my silly...

Good effort!

Here's a type of Blue Jay's song that you probably overheard; https://www.xeno-canto.org/53693.

Hey, thank you! I’ve tried listening to both different Blue Jay and Titmouse calls and the bird doesn’t sound like either of those... next time I hear it, I’ll try my best to get s recording of it as I was just hearing it a minute ago..

It sounds too high to be a Blue jay, but too low to be a Titmouse.

It’s 3 series of 2 notes, the first one higher than the second one.

DEE-doo, DEE-doo, DEE-doo..

I don’t really know how to explain it. Sorry.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back