• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can Slow-worms swim? (1 Viewer)

Phil Carter

I had a slow-worm crossing my pond supported by duckweed, it then forced it's head through the duck weed and "swam" straight down! Is this normal for slow-worms or is it a candidate for a Darwin Award?

Phil

Hi Phil.

As far as i am aware they a quite good swimmers,i saw one individual swimming across a small pond just outside the purbeck hills area in Dorset a few years ago and i know of one a colleague of mine saw on a river near Fordham in Norfolk.

Dave.

Yes , they are fairly good swimmers when they have to , after hibernating underground for the winter are often seen swimming in springtime.

Hi Phil.

As far as i am aware they a quite good swimmers,i saw one individual swimming across a small pond just outside the purbeck hills area in Dorset a few years ago and i know of one a colleague of mine saw on a river near Fordham in Norfolk.

Dave.

That's a relief, numbers have been dwindling in the garden recently anyway, I don't want the last few killing themselves!

Phil

Hi Phil
I saw a slow worm slide into my pond last year, there was a good covering of duck weed so I wondered if it didn't know the water was there.
It swam, very quickly, to the shallows and exited a lot faster than it entered.

you're so lucky having reptiles in your gardens! we have none at all in our patch of shropshire, although we do get plenty of amphibians!

I've seen them swim but I think that they can't keep it up for too long - probably only do it when they have to.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back