• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small Scope Purchase..? (1 Viewer)

I bought an IS50 from the ebay link you gave. Only tried it in the garden but 1st impressions are very good although it is my 1st scope so have nothing to compare it to.
I also bought a 20x HDF (from Sherwoods) eyepiece which gives a very bright image.
Both shops were great.

mickg said:
I bought an IS50 from the ebay link you gave. Only tried it in the garden but 1st impressions are very good although it is my 1st scope so have nothing to compare it to.
I also bought a 20x HDF (from Sherwoods) eyepiece which gives a very bright image.
Both shops were great.
Yes, that's the combination I use. It gives a quality image which I'm very pleased with.

As pduxon says, the focus wheel isn't in the most convenient place though. I've started using my thumb!

mickg said:
Both shops were great.

Buying gear can easily turn into a pissing contest - if what you've bought makes you happy that's enough. At some time your appreciation of birds might require better equipment, having better equipment though won't make you a more knowledgeable birder.

I asked that ebay supplier for a price for the IS50 and Pro IS Zoom eyepiece and he replied:
"Hi we can supply scope is £82 eyepiece £140 case £15 no adaptor needed".
I can't work out whether the £140 is just for the eyepiece (very expensive) or for the eyepiece and scope together (very cheap), so I've asked him to clarify.

I also asked him if the IS50 comes with a stay-on case, because I'm not clear on that...maybe someone on here could tell me?

Thanks.

Seems the cases are optional extras. Most retailers offer the soft case for the IS50 @£15; some offer a IS50/IS60 waterproof stay on case for just under £40 which as Perry Grin mentions is probably a less than snug fit on the IS50 objective.

normjackson said:
Seems the cases are optional extras. Most retailers offer the soft case for the IS50 @£15; some offer a IS50/IS60 waterproof stay on case for just under £40 which as Perry Grin mentions is probably a less than snug fit on the IS50 objective.

Thanks Norm. By the way, the £140 was for the eyepiece alone! Sherwoods have got it for £89. It goes to show it's worth taking advice and shopping around.

IS50 ordered from Sherwoods, with 12-36x HDF eyepiece = £235 including postage. A trifle over budget, but hopefully it'll be worth it. I'll get a tripod after payday.

Thanks for all you help...now I'm skint!
;-)

2520years said:
IS50 ordered from Sherwoods, with 12-36x HDF eyepiece = £235 including postage. A trifle over budget, but hopefully it'll be worth it. I'll get a tripod after payday.

;-)
Good choice! I've not used the HDF zoom but it's meant to be excellent and you've got a very useful range there.

2520years said:
Cheers norm.

I'm going for a lie down now, to preserve energy.

:egghead:

Preserve energy?

Well if you purchase the Nikon ED50 with either a zoom or wide prime lens, it is so light and so small it will fit in your rucksack ;-)

Norm's post mentions Andrew's review of a tripod for it. I've said it before, I tried Andrew's (Whitehouse) ED50 at Scone Palace, hand held while walking around. It was awesome - a word that is over-used these days.

In fact i was so impressed with it - I bought the company...hmm the Nikon Corporation of Gateshead - doesn't have the same ring, but you know what I mean lol - I was so impressed I bought one to add to my collection. Hand hold it, lightweight pod, shoulder pod, monopod, hide clamp - anything.

PS What does budget mean ? B :)

Last edited:
2520years said:

;-)

Just a quick shout for Sherwoods. I ordered the scope on Tuesday, they emailed me to say it was despatched on Wednesday and it arrived on Thursday. Not bad, especially when they were also the cheapest. I would definitely go back to them...if there's a next time.

This might be the definitive answer about the IS 50/60 water-proof cases, as it came from Opticron themselves...

"The 40923 wp case IS 50/45 and IS 60/45 fits the smaller IS 50 quite well in the main body is the same size with both models. The case is too long for the IS 50 – about the length of the scope with the sunshade pulled out plus a bit. If you can live with that then it’s the better case of the two as you can keep it on."

I hope this is helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back