• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canadian specialties (1 Viewer)

iraqbabbler

I'll be going to the United States soon and I would love to visit Canada too o:)

Can anyone suggest an itinerary for 7 - 10 days, to see some Canadian specialties ? ;)

Thank you :t:

By Canadian specialties do you mean boreal birds, like boreal chickadee, crossbills, gray jay etc.?
What time of year are you going, and where in the US are you?

Hi Reuven_M & thanks for the reply o:D
Yes, I do mean boreal birds or birds that are found in both in the US and Canada but easier to see in Canada ..

I am off to New York next week and I would love to hop over to Canada too .. I've read sooooooo many fascinating books about your country especially by the legendary Farley Mowat and so I would love to explore some of Canada's natural wonders 8-P

P.S. I've also posted a thread in the mammals section about wolves. It is one of my life long dreams to see a wolf, so if you know anything about that, then I'd really appreciate the info ..

Cheers :t:

Algonquin park is good for some things (Boreal Chickadee, Spruce Grouse, Gray Jay, Black-backed Woodpecker, lots of warblers)
There are also 'wolf howls' led by the park, although your chances of seeing a wolf are pretty remote.
I was lucky enough to see a pair of wolves once, but that was in the middle of winter on a frozen lake west of Algonquin.
I think lots of the boreal birds will be more accessible for you in eg. Nova Scotia (or Maine even).

When do you plan to visit Canada?

I would say Nova Scotia and Quebec would be you best bets...

You will get a good variety of birds in Nova Scotia.

Quebec will be better for boreal birds and mammals.

Wolves are very difficult to see. I never succeeded. But you can hear them once in a while.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back