• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Window Feeder (1 Viewer)

tobyneilson

Hi all,like most people i love sitting at home and watching the birds on my tables,have one in fromt and one in the back garden,anyhow the other day i ordered a window feeder,that has suker pads to attach to the window, i got it because on the landing window,there are always lots of Bluetits pecking in the cracks of the walls for food so thought would try a feeder.
Anyhow,has anyone else got a window feeder and do you find them succesfull?

since last year I have been considering a window feeder but I am always put off by the sucker pads. Do the sucker pads work? sorry to answer your question with a question:D

I tried one which had two sucker pads. One pad stuck but the other kept slipping and only my usual garden Robin had a try while i watched. I binned it a year ago but the sucker mark is still present on the glass. |:||

So far the sucker pads are holding it to the window,but it has only been a couple of hours lol,am waiting to see how it goes,have filled it with seed,will try and post a pic tomorrow if it is still up ;)

I still have the sucker marks on my window, I think I'll have to get white sprits to get them off. When the feeder was on we had a Blue tit that used to eat the seed by standing on the edge of the feeder and a Robin came in it. They poor birds nearly had a nervous breakdown as the cat used to sit as close to the window as possible and stare at them. I took it down in the end.

I've a 'tube' type window feeder. When I got it I was advised to have a back-up support system in case the suckers failed (which they haven't done so far (nearly 2 years)), so I tied a piece of string to it which is fixed to the window.

I've had Blue and Great Tits, Robins, Chiffinches and House Sparrows. They took months to find it, then every now and again I don't see anything for several weeks.

I live in a first floor flat with not much of a garden, so not too bad really.

D

Shirley,i put it on a window where my cats never sit so the birds are not scared away,
Anyhow it has survived the night and is still up,and when i got up this morning there was a couple of blue tits investigating it so hopfully looks like it will work.
Thanks for the suggestion Delia,will look to see it i can secure it somewhere else as well
Am going to try and hang a fat ball from it as well

Hi Toby, welcome to this part of the forums.

Thats a great looking feeder there - look forward to seeing what you manage to attract to it.

Mine was different than that and to be honest looked a bit cheap with the suckers side by side (one worked but the other didn''t) at least with yours if one sucker fails it may stay upright. Toby or Shirley where did you get yours?

Mine was different than that and to be honest looked a bit cheap with the suckers side by side (one worked but the other didn''t) at least with yours if one sucker fails it may stay upright. Toby or Shirley where did you get yours?

I got mine of ebay,unsure if i can post link or not if i have broke a rule tell me so and i apologise but this is the auction i got mine from,came within a couple days of oredering it along with a gazebo style feeder that i am going to put wither nuts or sunflower seeds in for the table
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIRD-WINDOW-F...lants_Bird_Bath_Feeder_CV&hash=item2c57a92df1
Will try and get some pics if the birds hang around enough,just waiting to see if higher up works or if needs to be lower and nearer the corner

Thanks for that Toby ('ive got the link) I have French Windows and quite often have had birds flying into them (only one fatality in 5 yrs thankfuly) so i hope the feeder may be useful and a deterrent.

Last edited:
That seller is fair good,and their price seemed decent enough to me.
Unfortantly for me i have to buy most my supplies of the internet as the 2 local garden centres only have a small range and are really expensive :-C

Mine was a Chrissy present, I think the Grovener Garden Centre in Chester, that's where my sister 'goes for coffee'. A huge place a bit pricy but it has just about everything.

I know the Grosvenor Garden Centre well and they do have a very big range of garden bird products but you do have to pay a premium which i suppose is quite fair as they do carry the stock.

I dont mind paying the price if i need it ASAP, but most the time when i can get it cheaper and just wait a few days i will do lol

I got mine of ebay,unsure if i can post link or not if i have broke a rule tell me so and i apologise but this is the auction i got mine from,came within a couple days of oredering it along with a gazebo style feeder that i am going to put wither nuts or sunflower seeds in for the table
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIRD-WINDOW-F...lants_Bird_Bath_Feeder_CV&hash=item2c57a92df1
Will try and get some pics if the birds hang around enough,just waiting to see if higher up works or if needs to be lower and nearer the corner

Thanks for the link. I have just bought one for £6.85 free post. :t::t:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back