• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leicestershire and Rutland Birding/Local Patches (1 Viewer)

Or in the north arm off either Barnsdale or Armley Wood. It is usually with the group of Black-necked Grebes.

If you are still interested the Slavonian Grebe seems to have set up house in the North Arm now, viewable distantly from the bottom of the Barnsdale road.

Yesterday it was with what seems to be the one remaining Back-necked - the other four have not been seen for a week.

Steve

Although I'm currently in scotland, it looks like that there has been a bit of an influx of Bitterns into the county, with up to five birds reported in the last couple of days.
At least two at Rutland Water, a very showy bird at Eyebrook resv and at least two in the Charnwood area( 1 at Switho resv and 1 at Watermead CP North). I would imagine this is the most ever seen in the county?
Cheers,
Dave.
http://davidearlgray.blogspot.com/

Paid a brief visit to Rutland today, and broke my bogey bird on the first day of the year.....yippeeee!!!

A good sign i hope.

Wish it showed a little better, but i could just make out the Birds ear tufts blowing in the breeze. God, they are so well camoflaged, looked more like a Cat that an owl as it just sat there.

Had its larger cousin hunting late afternoon in a meadow just on the other side of the cycle track.

Never had time to look for the Bittern, Slav or Divers. But a Merlin, Tree Sparrow and Several close Redpoll made it an enjoyable day, even more so if i count the two Brown Hares!

2009 records

If anyone has any 2009 Leics/Rutland bird records still to submit, or descriptions to back up any claims of scarcer birds, I would be grateful if I could have them asap so that I can 'close' the 2009 database at the end of February.

Thanks to everyone who does send in their records.

Cheers
Steve

Had a Merlin fly across the A447 just south of Cadeby yesterday while I was going to look at a tree planting job.

Mike.

For anyone interested, there were at least 43 Tree Sparrows around the feeders in the car park at Fosse Meadows this morning

Attachments

• _MG_6860.jpg
    _MG_6860.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 56
Cheers mate great shot!

Got my fix at Thornton res yesterday, There numbers seemed down though maybe that harris hawk munched em all..

cheers
karpman

Tree Sparrows do seem to respond to feeding and nest-box erecting - Fosse Meadows used to be my local patch years ago before it was a nature park and there were never many around (certainly not 43 or more), but other species, such as Willow Tit haven't benefited from any protection afforded by taking the area out of intensive agriculture.

Bizarrely, there were also four Ravens there this morning - not that many years ago four would have been a good count for the whole year for the whole county, but now it's hardly worth putting out the info!

Over the week an adult Med Gull and 2nd winter Glaucous Gull has been seen at Albert Village Lake and would imagine these are the same birds which have been roosting at Foremark Resv in Derbyshire in the last couple of days?
Cheers,
Dave.
Ps I have caught up with the Med Gull but not the Glaucous Gull yet!

Hi all, finally caught up with the 2nd winter Glaucous Gull at Albert Village Lake today.
Also other gulls I saw included three Caspian Gull (2 Adults and 1 2nd winter birds), the long-staying adult Mediterranean Gull and a single adult Yellow-legged Gull.
Taking a few record shots of the Glaucous Gull I came to the conclusion that this is a different bird from the previous 2nd winter bird which was recorded in early Jan 2010.

Cheers,
Dave.

Spent the day walking around Rutland Water yesterday (5th), and quite a good day it was too!

One of the Long-ears was showing a little better, but still a bitch to photograph!

A Red Kite AM, Little Egret, Red-crested Pochard, Common and Green Sandpiper, Smew, Slav Grebe, and this Barn Owl being the pick of a long list!:t:

Also, beware!!

There is a very pale Buzzard hanging around, with black flank/belly patches. Got a look of its unfeathered tarsi though, so dont get too excited:-O

Attachments

• Rutland 05-02-10 030e.jpg
    Rutland 05-02-10 030e.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Popped into Rutland first thing Monday morning but could only manage 1 L E Owl then went to look for the Slav' Grebe in North Arm but the first bird I saw was a Black-necked. I thought somebody had mis-id the Slav from the previous day but after a bit this bird appeared close to the stoney dam, so 2 scarce Grebes almost in the same field of view.

Mike.

Popped into Rutland first thing Monday morning but could only manage 1 L E Owl then went to look for the Slav' Grebe in North Arm but the first bird I saw was a Black-necked. I thought somebody had mis-id the Slav from the previous day but after a bit this bird appeared close to the stoney dam, so 2 scarce Grebes almost in the same field of view.

Mike.

Somebody was mentioning a Black-necked Grebe on Friday afternoon. Its such a massive place though, so who really knows what else is lurking about:t:

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm hoping to go to Rutland Water this Saturday for the first time in years, and was wondering if anyone knew the best spot to stand/look for the long-eared owl, without causing any problems etc? It's behind Fieldfare Hide isn't it? Many thanks in advance.

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm hoping to go to Rutland Water this Saturday for the first time in years, and was wondering if anyone knew the best spot to stand/look for the long-eared owl, without causing any problems etc? It's behind Fieldfare Hide isn't it? Many thanks in advance.

You can see the owls from the path leading to fieldfare hide, you'll see where everyones been standing and there'll probably be a few people there. The owls are usually in the bushes behind the hedge and can take a bit of spotting

You can see the owls from the path leading to fieldfare hide, you'll see where everyones been standing and there'll probably be a few people there. The owls are usually in the bushes behind the hedge and can take a bit of spotting

Thanks very much indeed for the info. Have never seen a long-eared owl before so fingers crossed they are still there come the weekend!!

Gulls at Albert Village Lake

Hi all, here is a few digishots of the gulls recently at Albert Village Lake...

Attachments

• 2nd winter Caspian Gull AVL 6feb 2010.jpg
    2nd winter Caspian Gull AVL 6feb 2010.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 44
  • adt Caspian Gull AVL 6feb2010.jpg
    adt Caspian Gull AVL 6feb2010.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 48
  • ADT med Gull AVL 18feb 2010x1.jpg
    ADT med Gull AVL 18feb 2010x1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 53
Thanks again for the owl info. Had a great day at Rutland today, had brilliant views of a Long-eared Owl, plus Short-eared Owl, Smews, Slavonian Grebe, Red-crested Pochards and a very confiding Green Sandpiper and Water Rail. Then headed to Cossington for more Short-eared Owls and Barn Owls.

Hi All,i'm a first winter birder and i'm planning a trip to Rutland,Long and Short Eared Owls ,GNDiver,Scaup,BN and Slav Grebe would all be life ticks for me,any tips would be appreciated also i have a scope on order(should arrive next week)would it be worth waiting for it to arrive before i went or will bins do ?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back