• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (57 Viewers)

Not mentioned on the list Tom has published on Tame Valley Birding - was one noted?
Yes, I saw at least 3. Also I've just noticed that Coal Tit is on the list, I didn't see any but someone must have found one (there was a report of one on the feeders the previous day so it must have been still around.) 95 now.
Geoff

From yesterday

1 & 2. Little egrets flypast, Flashes.
3. Avocet versus LRP
4. Comparison of Dunlin with Black-headed Gulls
5. Little Ringed Plover pair

Attachments

• IMG_4178.jpg
    IMG_4178.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_4181.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4325.jpg
    IMG_4325.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4295.jpg
    IMG_4295.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4276.jpg
    IMG_4276.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 59
1. Peregrine on mast (in heat haze!) from Moors E. hide.
2. Wren in full song, Moors w. hide path.
3. Linnet sunbathing on turf in front of Flashes hide.
4. One of a pair of displaying lapwings, Flashes.

Attachments

• IMG_4053.jpg
    IMG_4053.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4080.jpg
    IMG_4080.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4203.jpg
    IMG_4203.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4166.jpg
    IMG_4166.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 63
Annual report 2013.
We (Rob and Me) have reserved reports for everyone who had one last year. If you don't want one could you let me know ( pm me or text). So don't worry your copy is safe. £3 this year. B :) john

Last edited:
Did the Bonaparte's Gull pass through Upton on its way from Marsh Lane to Slimbridge? :eek!:|8.|

Was thinking along the same lines Phil. It may have passed through Worcs twice now without being detected. Reasonable chance it will head back north at some point and Upton must stand the best chance of pulling it in given the number of Black-headed Gulls on site. For anyone who needs a reminder some great pictures here and here.

Brian

With terns and waders clearly on the move in the last 48 hours, tomorrow is again a day of promise. Rain overnight could easily bring something down for those able to hit the reserve first thing whilst warm SW winds followed by late afternoon showers also sounds interesting. After no records for eight years - its longest absence fin the reserve's history - I get a Temminck's Stint feeling in my bones; would be nice for all the newbies to get this compact wader on their Upton list.

The Common Terns were displaying well today. Some unusual behaviour from one of the Avocets on the Moors Pool Island. A BHG had died & was lay on its backon the shore. The Avo leapt on it in what we thought looked like a mating. Did this several times over a few minutes. The other bird in the pair looked on.
1. Common Tern
2. Mistaken identity?
I have some video of the Avo but need to process it before it can be viewed.

Attachments

• DSC_2627.jpg
    DSC_2627.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_2656.jpg
    DSC_2656.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 113
I noticed that a black headed gull had died and lay on the shore at the Flashes today; I witnessed 3 other black headed gulls land on it (intermittently) and each tried to mate with it (after pecking at it and not getting a response).

Wasn't going to post but saw the previous post and thought that it might be of interest given that this would be the second dead black headed gull noticed today?

Attachments

• DSCF6757.jpg
    DSCF6757.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 85
I noticed that a black headed gull had died and lay on the shore at the Flashes today; I witnessed 3 other black headed gulls land on it (intermittently) and each tried to mate with it (after pecking at it and not getting a response).

Wasn't going to post but saw the previous post and thought that it might be of interest given that this would be the second dead black headed gull noticed today?

Thanks for posting Charlotte. Interesting that other birds are doing similar to the Avo.

Anyone else witnessed this behaviour?

Rob

this evening

birds tonight ,26 Avocet ,4 LRP,4 Shelduck,3 Ruff,1 Curlew ,1 common sand,
1 Dunlin,2 pr gadwall but 4 male seen later,400+ BHG + 10 chicks,3 LBBG,1 mute swan.

Attachments

• PICT3712.JPG
    PICT3712.JPG
    537.9 KB · Views: 79
First chance I have had to post a photo of part of the All-Dayer crew B :)

Ah ha! So it was while you were taking a 'crew' selfy that the Bonaparte's flew over :t: Glad to hear you got on well! A great effort! If it means anything, I managed 83 species at Spurn on Saturday so you beat me personally (closer to 100 for the entire NGB day list though!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back