• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2010 (5 Viewers)

Apologies for the thread hijack but I’m currently trying to help out a French guy with some wildlife information (he has helped me in the past so I’m repaying the favour). He is staying in Sheffield and has no access to a car, but wants to know where he can spend several days in February looking for Otter, Common Seal, Chinese Water Deer, Muntjac and any other mammals/birding opportunities.

I have suggested NW Scotland for his first targets, although he will probably save this for a summer trip. Can anyone think of a good place for the deer (preferably accessible via public transport)? If any of you southerners would be willing to meet up with the guy I could pass on your details.

I know I’m asking a lot (especially the public transport bit!) but any input from the mammal watching fraternity is greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the thread hijack but I’m currently trying to help out a French guy with some wildlife information (he has helped me in the past so I’m repaying the favour). He is staying in Sheffield and has no access to a car, but wants to know where he can spend several days in February looking for Otter, Common Seal, Chinese Water Deer, Muntjac and any other mammals/birding opportunities.

I have suggested NW Scotland for his first targets, although he will probably save this for a summer trip. Can anyone think of a good place for the deer (preferably accessible via public transport)? If any of you southerners would be willing to meet up with the guy I could pass on your details.

I know I’m asking a lot (especially the public transport bit!) but any input from the mammal watching fraternity is greatly appreciated.

1. CWD and Muntjac can be quite easily found at in woods and fields near Little Brickhill which is walking distance from Woburn (I expect there is a decent bus service to Woburn given its safari park etc: probably from Milton Keynes railways stn). From Woburn follow the minor road west, then fork right towards Little Brickhill. Next to the Bucks:Beds county boundary signs are footpaths either onto a golf course (Muntjac and Black Grey Squirrels) or into woodland and eventually farmland (both deer and still a chance of Black tree-rats).

2. Woodwalton fen is red-hot for both CWD and Muntjac but rather isolated transport-wise.

John

Opened my winter account with the brook foxes saturday night with both pairs running true to form.

An upstream fox peered at me from the line of trees on the far side of the brook while I took a couple of pix: then one of the downstream foxes casually sauntered up from the brook bed where he was hunting voles among the reeds, was brought to a stand with a bit of squeaking and stood watching interestedly while he was photographed, then sat down and allowed another picture posing nicely.

John

1. CWD and Muntjac can be quite easily found at in woods and fields near Little Brickhill which is walking distance from Woburn (I expect there is a decent bus service to Woburn given its safari park etc: probably from Milton Keynes railways stn). From Woburn follow the minor road west, then fork right towards Little Brickhill. Next to the Bucks:Beds county boundary signs are footpaths either onto a golf course (Muntjac and Black Grey Squirrels) or into woodland and eventually farmland (both deer and still a chance of Black tree-rats).

2. Woodwalton fen is red-hot for both CWD and Muntjac but rather isolated transport-wise.

John

Woodwalton Fen was good again yesterday - this war-torn Chinese water deer buck (with ragged ear and a broken tusk) was one of at least 8. Also 3 muntjac, 3 roe deer & a fox. There is mole activity everywhere with the earth mounds fresh and larger than normal, showing that the moles are burrowing further down beneath the frost.

Attachments

• Chinese water deer, Woodwalton Fen, Dec '10.jpg
    Chinese water deer, Woodwalton Fen, Dec '10.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Chinese water deer, Woodwalton Fen 4.jpg
    Chinese water deer, Woodwalton Fen 4.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Chinese water deer, Woodwalton Fen 12.10.jpg
    Chinese water deer, Woodwalton Fen 12.10.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 49
Huge amount of fox activity continues at home but I mostly see it when walking Tansy - not ideal as she either barks at them or chases them! She barks at foxes at much greater ranges than she does at other dogs (or even cats) and I have concluded that she is annoyed that they are allowed out without a handler.

There are as usual two formed pairs within a couple of hundred yards of home, plus some lean and leggy juveniles living on the edge. One of the adult foxes has slightly grizzled fur and a very dark, almost blackish tail which makes it very easily identifiable as an individual. Once I stop for Christmas I am going to devote some time to getting decent shots of all of them.

This is my last day at work so a very merry Christmas to all mammal watchers and birders especially those who have helped Marion and me through the year.

Fingers crossed for a great 2011!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back