• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's your 2004 year list going? (1 Viewer)

Two more for me today, Blackcap (117) and Kittiwake (118)

Some obvious ones still to get: Bullfinch (heard but not seen), Water Rail (ditto), Lesser Redpoll (saw a flyover redpoll sp.), Merlin, Peregrine, Little Owl, Marsh Tit, Black Grouse, White-fronted Goose, Guillemot, Razorbill, Scaup

Michael

Up to 89 now With my second lifer of the year Black Redstart at Marsden..what a nice bird! also saw my first Kittiwake of the year weeks earlier than I usually see them. I'm off for a walk around my local patch tomorrow if the weather stays ok and should get Marsh tit and Green woodpecker I have never seen 100 species in january ..any bets?

Hope the weather is ok for you tomorrow Dennis - good luck for your 100!!

I went to Thursley Common, Surrey this afternoon and added Dartford Warbler, Snipe and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - so up to 117 now. Did not see the Great Grey Shrike unfortunately.

We intend going down to the Chichester Harbour area tomorrow so hope to add a few more.........

Pol

On the 111 thing, I think it's unlucky because of its mathematical associations with the old number of the beast. The umpire who gets rather jittery about it is David Shepherd. Being a typically quirky westcountryman, he believes that he has to keep his feet off the ground as much as possible when the scores 111 (or multiples thereof).

Dennis, I am betting on you, I think you will get your 100 for January!

I got four more year birds to bring my total up to 72.
Swamp Sparrow- 3
White-throated Sparrow - 1
Loggerhead Shrike - 1
Northern Bobwhite - 8, (I got to study these for about ten minutes while they foraged in a harvested corn field, apparently eating weed seeds. I got stunning looks at the five males and three females, as I was far enough away not to "spook" them and near enough that I could see every feather through my KOWA scope.) Usual looks at these birds are as they fly away after they have been "flushed" from their cover.

My average (over the last ten years) number of species seen in Missouri, USA, in January is 63. Last January (2003) was my highest at 85 species.

Hi
I guess Samuals photo is a Bonapartes Gull then...?

Today I added 3 :-

Black Redstart - a beauty Male
Glaucous Gull - an Adult which musta come from other side of the Tyne
Kittiwake - to take me onto 109

'WiLL', X , get these by the end of the month! :- (in home county)
Dipper, Red & Black Grouse, Stonechat, Raven, Buzzard, Siskin, LesserRedpoll, (####Crossbill#### )-NOT 27/1
Guillemot, Red throated Diver, Green Sand, Woodcock, Jack Snipe, Ringed Plover, Bar tail Godwit, Grey Plover, Shelduck.

'HOPE' to get These before the end of the month! :- (in home county)
(####LSW,# Scaup,# Goshawk,# x2Divers,# R.N Grebe.####) -NOT 27/1
Slavonian Grebe, Hooded Crow, Peregrine, Razorbill

(Denis...... plenty time left yet marra.....)

(Michael F - 4 Whitefronts at Bishop Middleham, Stoney Beck Lake. grid ref:-NZ339317. Viewable from roadside. 9km south of A1M services at Bowburn.)

Stevie

Last edited:
Hi Stevie,

steviewol said:
Hi
I guess Samuals photo is a Bonapartes Gull then...?
Yep

Today I added 3 :-

*Black Redstart - a beauty Male
Glaucous Gull - an Adult which musta come from other side of the Tyne
*Kittiwake - to take me onto 109

'WiLL' get these by the end of the month! :- (in home county)
*Dipper, *Red & Black Grouse, *Stonechat, Raven, *Buzzard, *Siskin, Lesser Redpoll, Crossbill, Guillemot, *Red throated Diver, *Green Sand, *Woodcock, *Jack Snipe, *Ringed Plover, *Bar tail Godwit, *Grey Plover, *Shelduck.

'HOPE' to get These before the end of the month! :- (in home county)
LSW, Razorbill, Scaup, Hooded Crow, Goshawk, Peregrine, x2Divers, *Slav & *R.N Grebe.

* Got these already this year, all in Northumbs (so far, my entire yearlist is Northumbs)

(Michael F - 4 Whitefronts at Bishop Middleham, Stoney Beck Lake. grid ref:-NZ339317. Viewable from roadside. 9km south of A1M services at Bowburn.)
Dipped on 3 today at Hartley nr Whitley Bay. There's also the 8 Greenland Whitefronts out at Grindon to have a try for - may be going for them on Monday.

Michael

You must have been following me today steve I got the Black Redstart and Kittiwake but missed the Glaucus gull :mad:) but I did see a flock of 100 or so siskin last week at the far pastures hide Still have not seen an owl this year but I can only get out at weekends Hawthorn tomorrow(sun) so may get Tawny or Little or just possibly Short eared ...or all 3:mad:)

Got my first Lifer of the year today. I went to the beach and due to high winds had lots of shore birds on the beach. In a small flock of Herring Gulls I found a Lesser Black-backed Gull. They are just vagrants here so was lucky to find it. Having seen my first BBG sp late last year and failing to take sufficient notes for a positive ID, I was pretty much up on what to look for to confirm this one! (and in retrospect after seeing this LBB, makes the one I saw in Dec. almost surely GBB)

Denis ...You ARE being wotched!...(lol)

Michael (for your info)....Had the Adult Glaucous Gull on the S.Shields side of the River mouth this afternoon at approx 16:00. At 16:10 it followed in a fishing boat & went onto the Fish Quay area on 'your' side.

118 North'd, very impressive. What do you expect to be on at the months end..?

Stevie

Not as impressive as some on this list, but we're standing at 62, with 3 lifers (Lucy's Warbler, Savannah Sparrow, American Tree Sparrow). Going for another 8 to 10 tomorrow (with a hopeful 2 lifers - if everyone could please fire off a dream about Clark's Nutcrackers and Red-shouldered Hawks tonight).

Last edited:
Up to 101. Added 8 to the yearlist today: Mandarin Duck (300), American Wigeon (1), Falcated Teal (12), Gadwall (6), House Swift (12), Greater Pied Kingfisher (1), Grey Wagtail (1), and Japanese Wagtail (1). The prize was the kingfisher, hard to come by in this part of the country any more.

Now on 118 still all in Devon, with quite a few common ones still toget,Bullfinch, M Thrush, Perigrine, Sanderling, Ringed Plover, Bar T Godwit, Tawny +Little Owl, Yellowhammer and a few more

Andy.

To give you some idea of how my birding usually goes here in Missouri, USA, I enclose the total species count per month for last year (2003). The list is by month with the number of new year birds added for each.

Jan - 85 species observed
Feb - 6 species added
Mar - 31 "
Apr - 72 "
May - 43 "
Jun - 2 "
Jul - 1 "
Aug - 8 "
Sep - 8 "
Oct - 5 "
Nov - 9 "
Dec - 3 "

Total 273 species seen in 2003

steviewol said:
Michael (for your info)....Had the Adult Glaucous Gull on the S.Shields side of the River mouth this afternoon at approx 16:00. At 16:10 it followed in a fishing boat & went onto the Fish Quay area on 'your' side.

118 North'd, very impressive. What do you expect to be on at the months end..?
Hi Stevie,

Thanks; not had a chance to get out today. The last few years, I've reached around 140 give or take one or two, by 31st Jan, but I doubt I'll be able to do that this year, with several species looking to be in short supply - poor for raptors with a vole crash, and by the looks of it, poor inshore fishing at sea.

Michael

Fifebirder said:
After my first proper birding in Fife this year (a wander down to the Eden Estuary) I'm left hanging on a rather tantalising 99. Added a few nice ones today though, 10 Brent Geese, 4 Slavonian Grebes and a Peregrine taking out a Dunlin right in front of me. Still need Mistle Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Yellowhammer and Dipper though. What's to be the 100?

It was Dipper! Actually these are requiring of a little more effort for me to see at the moment because the burn is in spate after the recent rain and so the usual spot where I see them is too deep. I had to walk at least half a mile to get one today! It's remarkable to see these thrush-like birds diving into the water, even when the burn is a great torrent. Miraculous creatures.

Not a bad day I got Marsh tit within 5 min of starting my walk but the green woodpecker eluded me still I did get Tree sparrow, Tawny owl, Sparrowhawk, Goldcrest and Red throated diver so thats 95 so far :mad:)

Denis, it looks like you will have no problem whatsoever in reaching the 100 plateau for January. Good Birding!

Last edited:
Set out today with the intention of reaching 120!

It was looking good with White fronted Geese (110) the first 'tick' without any effort.
Down at Teeside we made a brief speculative visit to a few sites, with no luck, so decieded to look at the Long eared Owls, before heading inland & up the Dales. Just about to get in the car when we were luckily shouted back for the Hooded Crow (111).

We had Just heard about the return of the Bittern (112) up in mid-Weardale at Low Barns, so This Halted our plan to go any further up the valley for Grouse etc.

Allways a Stunner, but when your looking down on it in a small Reedmace stand, well we didnt worry about any plans for the 120 !

As it happened, we got 3 more in the form of Lesser Redpoll (113) Brambling (114) & finally Siskin (115).

A great, if slightly wet & cold day.
I think i shall score an extra '10' for the Bittern though......incredible creature!

Steviewol B :)

Nice one Steve but you are a bit slow with the hooded crow I got that a week ago! lol
I have been looking on the sea every couple of days for Red throated diver with no luck at all then today 9 turned up all at once! its a funny old game.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back