• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (1 Viewer)

my garden list so far this year...

male & female bramblings & still here, goldfinches galore, siskins galore but now moved on, greenfinches, blackbirds, jackdaws, wood pigeons, collared doves, bullfinches, coal tits, robins, great tits, blue tits, dunnocks, a wren, redwing & fieldfare, mistlethrush & songthrush (last 4 earlier this year)..chaffinches

Lost track of where the garden list is, but had a Carrion Crow actually on the garage roof the other day.

Also, the row of trees next to the line of houses below us were pollarded about a month or so back, which means I have a slightly better view of a bit of a bend in the Penryn River about a mile and a half away. Set the scope up yesterday, lo and behold - a smart Little Egret from the bedroom window! (Pretty sure I eliminated Great White Egret and Carrier Bag before anyone comments).

With Little egret still on a list of possibles, today one from the list...a cracking fly-by by not one, but two (drum roll please)...

80 : Common terns.

Heading roughly NE.
Not just 80 (equal to last year's entire list!) but also 110 on the garden list. And the ninth species on this year's list which did not occur last year.

Swifts yet to put into an appearance so far...

After an hour 'skywatching' this morning I saw Swift winging North, now eclipsing last years total of 60....quickly followed by my 3rd Swallow again heading North, and my second Pied Wagtail of the year (only my 4th in 28 years). That's 32 in and 29 out, with seven species seen so far this year that were absent in 2010.

Cheers...keep those 'mince pies peeled'.

Well, after this morning's triumph, the day has continued in an excellent vein!

This afternoon, a falcon, way off, gradually got closer, before turning towards me, now obviously a

81 : Hobby.

Lost it behind next door's oak, never to re-appear, but, while scanning, two

82 : Swifts

came right past! First of the year, for me, anywhere.

Already content with that, another falcon, this time obviously a Peregrine, was heading NE not too far distant, into the strong wind.
Half an hour later presumably the same bird, an adult male, sailed right overhead, carrying some prey!
A Kestrel and a Sparrowhawk and two Buzzards added to the tally from the raptor watch point.

Three new ones for the year, plus all this!

I think I'll give up H........you're waaaaay too far ahead. :-C

Edit: I've just realised that I've left off 71) R L Partridge

Last edited:
I think I'll give up H........you're waaaaay too far ahead. :-C

Edit: I've just realised that I've left off 71) R L Partridge

There's hope Joanne - I'm off to Crete tomorrow for a week...er, then again, there's not much left to get this summer...;)

But, I think a certain Lithuanian contender has yet to bring out the big guns!

If I've got joannec and halftwo's (life grdn.lists correct?) one hundred and one hundred and ten, and I've done the maths correctly?....It suggests that 71% and c75% of your respectives have been achieved already this year? That kinda suggests that there might just be some NEW additions...as clearly the 'competition' is already ahead of last year, with a whopping eight months to go!

Have a good break halftwo, remember the old saying 'when the cats away'...;)

Not just 80 (equal to last year's entire list!) but also 110 on the garden list. And the ninth species on this year's list which did not occur last year.

If I've got joannec and halftwo's (life grdn.lists correct?) one hundred and one hundred and ten, and I've done the maths correctly?....It suggests that 71% and c75% of your respectives have been achieved already this year? That kinda suggests that there might just be some NEW additions...as clearly the 'competition' is already ahead of last year, with a whopping eight months to go!

Have a good break halftwo, remember the old saying 'when the cats away'...;)

Yes, see above, Ken.

Thanks, 'see' you in a week.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back