• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Painted Lady migration (2 Viewers)

Hi all

Several hundred seen over the weekend on St Marys, Scilly with some seen out over the sea as well. Interestingly, mostly very fresh individuals with only a few worn ones.

O

Thousands and thousands of Painted Ladies have passed through down here 24th and 25th. Yesterday my garden was full of them from early morning, some flying through to the north but many settling and nectaring on rock rose, pyracantha, spiraea, berberis and more. I estimated about 100 flying through the garden throughout the day, easing off in the later afternoon. I've not seen anything like this before!

I noticed their sizes varied - some were fairly small, some faded, some huge and bright. All magnificent! :t:

Nerine

Attachments

• Painted Lady side 25 May.jpg
    Painted Lady side 25 May.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Painted Lady 25 May.jpg
    Painted Lady 25 May.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Painted Ladies  resting 25 May.jpg
    Painted Ladies resting 25 May.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
We saw an enormous number of Painted Ladies in Majorca almost a fortnight ago. There seemed to be clusters on nearly every tree, then the next day they had all moved on.
There must be protection in moving as a group. The same as seen in Virginia a few years' ago when we saw 36 Monarch butterflies in about 5 minutes, all moving towards Mexico for the winter.

I know this will sound like a daft question...and i'm sure it is...but when are these hordes of butterflies actually going to put the brakes on and stop?!...[apart from when the sun goes down]! Majority we observed today were quite faded/abraded...so presume they have been flying a long time....and we did not witness a single one perched/resting anywhere...

ps...hope you get 'em in Lithuania soon Jos....

Was on Lewis, outer hebs in June 2007 (dipping Albatross) and saw tons of PLs all along the west coast up to Butt of Lewis, so maybe they dont stop until the last bit, (wonder if they got any in Iceland) It was actually a very good spring for Butts and there was a PL influx at the same time of year, people forget this I think because the weather broke the next week and it p****d it down for about 3 months.

John

Interesting thread. Thanks for alerting me to this. I counted 128 through my Sussex garden in half an hour just now!! All going north, very few stopping.

Thousands and thousands of Painted Ladies have passed through down here 24th and 25th. Yesterday my garden was full of them from early morning, some flying through to the north but many settling and nectaring on rock rose, pyracantha, spiraea, berberis and more. I estimated about 100 flying through the garden throughout the day, easing off in the later afternoon. I've not seen anything like this before!

I noticed their sizes varied - some were fairly small, some faded, some huge and bright. All magnificent! :t:

Nerine

Some lovely shots there!

I didn't get close looks at them so no idea of condition but I kept seeing lots and lots today in Chelmsford and out at Mountnessing here in Essex this morning. Not 'huge' numbers but quite a lot!

We had them over the garden at w/e - 2/3 at time, but only the odd one stopping to feed. It then rained for more or less 24 hours till about an hour ago and when the sun came out I had 9 feeding on the Valerian and many more flitting about. I guess they had been sheltering in the trees until they got the 'all clear'?

Was on Lewis, outer hebs in June 2007 (dipping Albatross) and saw tons of PLs all along the west coast up to Butt of Lewis, so maybe they dont stop until the last bit, (wonder if they got any in Iceland) It was actually a very good spring for Butts and there was a PL influx at the same time of year, people forget this I think because the weather broke the next week and it p****d it down for about 3 months.

John

Interesting that! These 'ladies' do give me the impression that they are not going to stop...[methinks they are 'possessed'];)
Still several individuals blowin about in the wind today...they are not goin to make much progress W.NWest.....intensity of some showers in Leicestershire late this afternoon was enuff to strip they're scales off...poor..[but very determined]..bugers..!

ps..sympathies on albatross dip...

Roughly 1 every 2 minutes for most of the day yesterday at Nagshead RSPB Reserve, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire - yesterday and a few through Symonds Yat today. Probably saw more yesterday than I have ever seen all time.

More of the same today at the same locations but with smaller numbers.

Casual watching in work at Symonds Yat today resulted in at least 56 seen. Probably missed a few. We also had a Hummingbird Hawk Moth.

Managed to see my first Painted lady of the year last thursday on Caldey island just off the Pembrokeshire coast....too quick for me and my camera though!!.

Two here in N. Shropshire on Mon 25 May. Landed on my gravel drive and looked to be in perfect condition. Only stopped for a minute or so then flew off rapidly. Saw none in 2008. Regards Pete

7 near me in S Wirral last night. The only butterflies around on a dull & blowy evening. 1 in the garden Monday.

After a break for the past few days due to bad weatherthe painted lady migration resumed late this afternoon with 25 + seen at Swanton Novers , Norfolk , moving west. There seemed to be quite a few large whites with them today.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back