• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tree swallow nestbox (1 Viewer)

Starzz

I put up a tree swallow nextbox on April 19th. The tree swallows should arrive in a few weeks. On the 20th the black capped chickadees started checking out the nextbox, and they have been peeking in it 3 or 4 times a day. The entrance hole is 1 1/2 inches, is that too big for a chickadee??

big?
They will nest in the box, if they like it, if that is what you mean .... I've had that happen before. If they do, and you are afraid that the swallows will come and try to kick them out, it is an option to put a hole reducer of 1 1/8" on entrance so the chickadees would be protected from an ousting. Or you could put up another box about 25 feet away or so to lessen competition.
Tree Swallow males have been here since the beginning of April. The females have just now joined in....the scuttle for the boxes has begun....loudly...right now, I have one swallow sitting on top of each box.
shelley

I have 3 nextboxes up around the yard... 2 for the chickadees and 1 for the tree swallows.. and of course the chickadees go after the one not for them! hahaha

Starzz said:
I have 3 nextboxes up around the yard... 2 for the chickadees and 1 for the tree swallows.. and of course the chickadees go after the one not for them! hahaha

I know what you mean. Last year it worked nearly perfect, everyone was in it's own home, the one built for them....bluebird, tree swallow and chickadee.
This year no chickadee, no bluebird (I expect them in a couple weeks) and several tree swallows apparently claiming 2 boxes---that will be interesting to see how that will pan out, I would think the territory is way too small for two families.
shelley

Starzz said:
Is there a certain direction the boxes should face?? The new nestbox is facing about northwest.

I don't think west is so good, most weather comes from there. I have my boxes facing northeast and east....it is the east ones that go first. I know some have boxes facing south, but again, alot of summer weather comes from not only west but up from the south (but then again there are those nastys that blow down from Canada!) I would do a 180 switch if possible on your boxes....or have a good overhang lip which stops bad weather from going inside.
shelley

I have six swallow boxes up this year. They all face north west which is away from the wind and rain direction. I have Tree Swallows using them every year except in years when the Barn Swallows nest in the barn. For some reason Ii can't seem to get both species in the same year.
We picked up a Tree Swallow while we were birding on Thursday, so they are starting to be back.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back